Mizutaki [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mizutaki

Cali-Glock
02-06-2007, 13:49
Next Saturday is my birthday and I will be making and serving Mizutaki to some friends! My father spent five or so years living in Japan in the 50s, and my parents both love Japanese food and lived in the San Francisco Bay area, so I grew up with a lot of Japanese food.

Mizutaki is not "traditional" Japanese restaurant food. Rather, mizutaki is traditional food for (presumably poor) people of rural Japan. Mizutaki is essentially a boiling broth on the table, in which the participants put in the food they want to eat. Everything cooks very quickly. The family would have a Mongolian hot pot on their table, have some sort of broth (I use beef - but it could be vegetable, chicken, fish, etc.) and then veggies, tofu and hopefully some meat to throw in.

The Mongolian Hot Pot is great. The bottom-most area holds the coals, (regular bbq charcoal works great - but crack a window as not to asphyxiate yourself) and a circular “pot” rests around the chimney of the device. http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0007YN6S2.01-AZ4XSY3VTUAG4._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Next Saturday, we will have a beef broth boiling in the pot, and a large platter with THIN sliced beef, tofu cubes, bamboo shoots, green onions, fresh mushrooms and other veggies. Each person will drop their choice of goodies into the pot, and it cooks almost instantaneously.

We will scoop out our goodies and place it on our bowls of steamed rice, and then add mizutaki sauce (a WONDERFUL thin mayonnaise-like sauce.)

I am salivating!

I grew up eating this stuff, and on a couple of birthdays my present was my being able to invite friends over for a mizutaki supper. (My friends probably thought I was nuts.) A few years ago my mother passed along her old Mongolian hot pot and I have started eating it again. She found an electric Mongolian hot pot she was going to give me, but I freaked - no way I wanted a traditional coal based one - so she gave me her ancient one!

Can’t hardly wait!!!

tavo
02-07-2007, 03:57
This sounds great. I've heard of a variation, perhaps from another cuisine, that employs oil as the cooking medium. Sounds dangerous(ly delicious), come to think about it.

Is the stock a specific recipe?

Japan in the 50s. Maximum cool.

My pop has spent some time in Japan and loves it. I think it is one of his personal Happy Places.

Great birthday idea.

Cali-Glock
02-07-2007, 11:01
Originally posted by tavo
This sounds great. I've heard of a variation, perhaps from another cuisine, that employs oil as the cooking medium. Sounds dangerous(ly delicious), come to think about it.

Is the stock a specific recipe?

Japan in the 50s. Maximum cool.

My pop has spent some time in Japan and loves it. I think it is one of his personal Happy Places.

Great birthday idea.

Nope, for me the base stock is simple; Swanson's beef broth, BUT that is the other treat; once you have finished dinner, or if folks are still hungry - what is left of the broth (typically quite a bit) is now a wonderful soup, flavored by all that has been cooking in it along with bits of all that was cooked left behind.

As a kid my mother made real mizutaki sauce from scratch, but since it has raw egg, I was hesitant; I tried using egg product, but it did not work. My sister turned me on to a cheat recipe using store-bought mayo as the base - I can't tell the difference and it tastes great!

stooxie
02-07-2007, 11:11
The Japanese equivalent to fondue. It's also very much like sukiyaki, in which most of the stuff is placed in first and then people take out what they want.

Tell me, do you dip the hot food in raw egg as the "natives" do? Yum!

-Stooxie

Cali-Glock
02-14-2007, 09:38
Our Mizutaki dinner:

Thinly sliced lean beef:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ericknowschrist/DSCF4398.jpg

Spinach, slices of bamboo shoots, sliced green onions, sliced mushrooms and tofu cubes:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ericknowschrist/DSCF4397.jpg

Friends enjoying dinner:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ericknowschrist/DSCF4394.jpg

Friend scooping out some goodies:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ericknowschrist/DSCF4391.jpg

Cali-Glocks "cheating" Mizutaki sauce:

2 cups mayonnaise
2/3 cup sour cream
4 T soy sauce
splash of sesame oil
bit of garlic or garlic powder (optional)
4 T Sherry (optional)

Mixed up thoroughly.

The goodies from the cook-pot are put on top of rice in a bowl and the mizutaki sauce is put on top of the goodies.

When the meal is wrapping up, a bit of the broth and a bit of the mizutaki sauce mixed together with the bits of rice and what not at the bottom of your bowl is wonderful!

I froze the left over broth, and this weekend when my wife is away I will make a quick meal out of it by heating it up, adding some miso and tofu and have some wonderful miso soup!

SAW45
02-22-2007, 08:31
I love eating this type of "hot pot" meal. Typically, the thin sliced beef version is more often referred to as Shabu-Shabu. Sukiyaki is the version most often dipped into the beaten raw egg just prior to eating. In Japan, Mizutaki is typically made with chicken rather then beef. There are many restaurants in Japan that specialize in these types of dishes also called Steamboats. In a Mizutaki restaurant, when the veggies and meat has been cooked and eaten, they often then cook rice in the left over liquid, and eat that as a sort of porridge. What ever you call it, and whatever you cook in the broth (I've used chicken, beef, lamb, pork, shrimp, scallops, etc etc etc), you can experiment with many types of dipping sauces and or flavored broths, and it has always tasted wonderful. Drinking the broth at the end of the meal as Cali-Glock said is wonderful also. Like Fondue, it's a fun thing to do with friends!

MrsKitty
02-23-2007, 19:54
I love your cabin. Rarely do I like them but yours seems real instead being trendy just for looks, if that makes any sense. :)