Where do I go for a CCW in Bedford County? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go for a CCW in Bedford County?

Dan
02-06-2007, 16:41
Is there a length of time I need to be a resident in VA before I go?

Where in the Roanoke area (I live closer too) can I get the NRA classes?

Any other info would be great, I have looked on Packing.org, but it seems every county may be different.

Thanks again. :beer:

vafish
02-06-2007, 20:40
Every county is different.

http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts/circuit/Bedford/handgun.html

Bedford Circuit Court
Bedford County Circuit Court Concealed Handgun Permit Application Procedure

1. Obtain Application & Instruction Sheet from Circuit Court Clerk's Office or Sheriff's Office.
2. Complete application and have signature notarized or witnessed by authorized person.
3. Take application and documentation of required proof of handgun competency to Bedford County Sheriff's Office for criminal background check. The Sheriff's Office will require photo identification to verify applicant's identity. When criminal background check is finished, pick-up signed application and attachments. The applicant may demonstrate handgun competency by presenting evidence of one of the following:
1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state.
2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.
3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services.
4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.
7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
8. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
4. Take completed application and attachments to Clerk's Office for processing. Fee is $40.00 for a new application and $30.00 for a renewal and is non-refundable. Checks are to be made payable to Clerk, Bedford County Circuit Court. No fee shall be charged for the issuance of such permit to a person who has retired from service (i) as a magistrate in the Commonwealth; (ii) as a law-enforcement officer with the Department of the State Police or with a sheriff or police department, bureau or force of any political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Virginia, after completing twenty years' service or after reaching age fifty-five.
5. Allow THREE WEEKS for completion of processing unless you are required to attend a firearms clinic.
6. Please call this office at 586-7632, in three weeks to see if your permit is completed. We will not contact you. If your permit is ready, you must appear in person and present your Virginia Driver's License.
7. Office hours are: Monday through Friday - 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
8. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property.
9. Concealed weapon permits expire at the end of five years.

alien-Glocker
02-07-2007, 05:04
You do not have to provide you SSN--its the law, even if they ask for it, don't give it to them. Don't let them copy your DL as it probably has you SSN.

From the Virginia state police web site--"There is no requirement as to the length of time an applicant for a Concealed Handgun Permit must have been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city where he or she resides."

This sounds good--". Allow THREE WEEKS for completion of processing unless you are required to attend a firearms clinic." But if it goes past 45 days, they are required by law to issue a temporary permit until the judge has signed off on your permit.

Check out the Virginia State police web site for additional information:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

Dingus
02-09-2007, 11:16
Check out Roanoke Firearms for a class.