Bad experience at Alpine range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bad experience at Alpine range

CWC
02-06-2007, 20:53
Until now I've done most of my AR shooting either at our department range, or at Tac-Pro. Today I decided to go with a friend to Alpine shooting range to sight in my A2 for a service rifle match this Saturday. I got there, payed my fees, posted up a target, and walked back to the firing line. I set one loaded 20-rd mag on the bench, and started messing with my shooting bag and re-adjusting their sandbags. I looked up as an older guy walked up to my bench and picked up my mag without saying a word to me. He started examining it really hard, and then tried (w/ no luck) to pull a round out of the mag. Even though the guy was wearing nothing to identify him as an employee, I assumed he must be, so I just stood and watched to see what he was doing. After jacking with it for a good 45 seconds he finally announced that my ammo was not allowed on their range. I was just shooting standard south-african surplus battle pack ammo. I pointed out to him that the rounds were not AP, and there was no reason to stop me from shooting them. He then directed my attention to a sign that read "NO FULL METAL JACKET RIFLE BULLETS." He told me that the only acceptable rifle ammo is soft point or hollow point. WTF!!! For those of you not familiar with Alpine, it's an outdoor range with dirt berms for back stops, and the only targets you can shoot are paper. So...what would be the harm in letting some one shoot some FMJ? For that matter, what would be the harm with some one shooting AP if they wanted to? There's nothing to damage! I'm convinced that the only reason they made the rule is to make people that come with FMJ have to pay their inflated prices to buy more ammo. I packed up and went to the office to ask for a refund. After trying to sell me some of thier ammo (SURPRISE!) they agreed to refund my money. Can anyone think of a valid reason why FMJ should be banned at this type of range? All I know is that I will never go there again, even if it's just to shoot a 22!

warrjsmith
02-06-2007, 21:24
That is standard practice for them. The old guy can be a dick sometimes. All you have to do is load your ammo and put hollows or soft points as the last five rounds or so on the top. Belive me, he won't look any further. Everyone does it, everytime I go there I see just about everyone doing it. They load up their mags before hand and keep the one with the softpoints on display just for him. They are very overpriced, I never buy anything but powerade (its pretty cheap)from them.

gmckinl
02-07-2007, 07:08
You said you usually shoot at dept range or Tac Pro. Excluding them, do you visit many public ranges around DFW? The vast majority have the same policy - no FMJ rifle ammo. I know it's the pits, but that is the way it is.

ccrobbins
02-07-2007, 10:17
Every one I can think of is the same way...No FMJ...Sucks, but that how it is.

gmckinl
02-07-2007, 12:53
IIRC, Gibson's Outpost is fine w/ FMJ but I could be mistaken.

Bigfunkytown
02-26-2007, 22:44
Everything that has been mentioned in this thread is true as far as I know. It's the only outdoor range I know of in my area that I can go to and enjoy on a sunny day such as we've been having lately. I do know that there is a little trailer park on the otherside of those berms. Don't ask me why they are so close together, but they are. I plan on going and shooting sometime tommorrow afternoon.

CWC
02-26-2007, 23:58
"do you visit many public ranges around DFW?"

I've been to a few, but I couldn't even tell you which ones. I'm not a huge fan of indoor ranges, but I have shot several times at the Winchester Gallery indoor range on E Lancaster in Ft. Worth. Even at this INDOOR range they have no problem with me shooting my AR w/ FMJ. I'll take your word for it about the other local ranges, but I also promise that none of them will get a penny from me.

Bigfunkytown
02-27-2007, 00:15
Originally posted by CWC
"do you visit many public ranges around DFW?"

I've been to a few, but I couldn't even tell you which ones. I'm not a huge fan of indoor ranges, but I have shot several times at the Winchester Gallery indoor range on E Lancaster in Ft. Worth. Even at this INDOOR range they have no problem with me shooting my AR w/ FMJ. I'll take your word for it about the other local ranges, but I also promise that none of them will get a penny from me. ?????????? Funny..... Every time I go to Winchester they give me grief as to fmj or jhp. Whats your secret?

CWC
02-27-2007, 10:01
The only problem I've had at Winchester gallery was when I was shooting some Wolf 7.62x39 in my AK. They came back and asked me not to shoot the wolf because it has a steel core in the bullet. The guy was real friendly about it, and even showed me that it was steel with a magnet. I can understand an indoor range not wanting steel core rounds, and I've got no problem with that. I've shot an AR there several times with milsurp FMJ, and never had a problem. They even have an AR for rent there. What were you shooting and what did they tell you to shoot?

lcarreau
02-27-2007, 10:08
Private ranges are the only way to go. Winchester gallery is a neat place with good folks, but I much prefer to shoot outside.

-Lonnie

Bigfunkytown
02-27-2007, 13:50
What I was trying to say was that they didn't want me to fire FMJ. They were cool with the JHP. And yes, they are some really nice guys. I've got no problems with them at all.
I was firing an AK-47 and a Saiga .223.