.308 Coyote Factory Load [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .308 Coyote Factory Load

PMY
02-07-2007, 12:25
I'm invited to go coyote hunting in Iowa later this month. The only suitable rifles I have on hand are in .308 caliber. A bit of overkill, I know. But from what I've read it will do.

Can anybody recommend appropriate factory ammo for the occasion? I've read that a lot of people use lighter V-Max and TNT bullets. But I haven't gotten around to getting into hand-loading yet, and haven't seen those in factory loads. If anybody knows if someone sells those, that would be great.

From what I've seen that's available the Federal Vital-Shok 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip rounds might be best? Though the Federal 150gr Soft Point Power-Shok might do just as well for less than half the price? I'm willing to pay the higher price, but if the cheaper ones will do just as well, I'll take those instead!

I'm not limited to picking between those two, just what I'm guessing might be appropriate. So if anybody can suggest something better, I'm happy to hear it.

Any help you guys can give me is appreciated!

Sharker
02-07-2007, 14:35
I honestly think you are over thinking it. Hit them with any 308 you want, and the thing should go down right away. Granted a head shot its lights out, but most yotes are shot at 200 plus around here making a head shot (And likely a moving head shot) quite difficult. Aim for the heart region and let the lead fly. A 308 is gonna kill a yote 99 out of 100 times if you get him anywhere besides the toe.

Now go find what your gun shoots well, practice alot, and give'em hell!

Sharker
02-07-2007, 14:45
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=374436

Looked on midwayusa.com and this is what I found that looks like a good ammo for yotes if you want to pay the $$$.

Again, I think any old 7.62 will work, even more so if you put a solid hit on it, but heres the link for ya.

TScottW99
02-07-2007, 17:40
Unless your wanting to keep the pelts don't worry about it. Any 150 grain ballistic tip or soft tip bullet will work as long as your rifle likes it. I have used the Hornady 150 SST before. Getting ready to handload some 110 v-max :supergrin:

Mwinter
02-07-2007, 23:00
Hornady offers a factory 110gr TAP round; minimal penetration but should do well on yotes.

PMY
02-09-2007, 14:38
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not too surprised that the simple answer is probably the best one. I'm on my way to pick up a couple of boxes of ammo to see which my rifle likes best this weekend. (Now that its warmed up past 20 degrees I'm looking forward to getting back out to the range!)

Sharker
02-09-2007, 15:53
It would have to warm a hell of alot more than that for me too shoot.
Good luck, and post pics when you bag a couple.

A_Swede_17_1911
03-03-2007, 13:06
I would just use some quality factory ammo, maybe some varmit bullets that will expand pretty rapidly if neeeded. I would just shoot some balistic tips, that shoot good out of your rifle.

I have a buddy that shoots yotes with a 300 Win Mag. Yeah its a little extreme, but its his only rifle.

PlasticGuy
03-07-2007, 11:18
The two coyotes I shot last year with 150 grain Federal soft points didn't suffer any. One just tipped over. The other did a back flip and then tipped over. The Hornady TAP 110 grain load will probably be most devastating, but I think you'll do just fine with whatever is cheap and accurate.

Mwinter
03-08-2007, 00:44
Another option is the Remington Accelerator; no longer produced but you can find it occasionally, mainly in .30-30 and .30-6, but sometimes in .308.

Accelerator is a plastic-saboted JSP; .223 55gr if memory serves. Out of my -06 the velocities were impressive. I never shot it past 100yds but the recoil was negligible and it made small critters look they swallowed a grenade.