Shooting on State Land [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting on State Land

stallion114
02-08-2007, 14:51
Is it legal to target shoot on state land in MI.

A couple weeks ago I went to the DNR shooting range but it was closing in 10 minutes, so I ventured to the state land about a mile away. I set up some clay targets against a burm (spell check) and began shooting. 15 minutes later the DNR officer running the range came over and told me it was against the law to do so.
I immediately picked up my stuff and left.

There was a sign where i parked that listed the rules. Unfortunetely all I could read was hunting area: no biking, hiking, camping, and then the rest was shot up with a shotgun.

Also is there anywhere in the Lansing area where you can rapid fire? I had been going to the wooded area mentioned above for the last year or so if I wanted to rapid fire but dont want to break any laws.

Thanks

gsbell
02-08-2007, 15:09
Yes it is legal

http://************/2ttxwc

mikedb
02-09-2007, 17:30
State Game and Forests are ok unless posted otherwise. State parks and Rec areas are a no no unless at the range. Read the above response closely. Where were you shooting?

coverdog
02-09-2007, 17:51
There are many misinformed or uninformed DNR officers out there it seems. I have been told the same twice, years ago. Next time I'm going to let them write a ticket and let them look like an ass when I call it in and complain.:supergrin:

stallion114
02-09-2007, 22:33
Unfortunetly the area where I was has rules that state all target shooting must be done at DNR shooting range. This sucks because I dont like shooting my glock from 25 yards with 1 shot every 3 seconds.
It is a great place for rifle, and trap though.

I searched for other local areas, and it looks like I would have to go to Dansville to the next closest DNR game area. Oh well.

Thanks for the quick response
Anthony

gsbell
02-10-2007, 04:27
Consider a membership at Capitol City Rifle Club in Williamston.

http://ccrifleclub.org

jolt8me
02-10-2007, 19:39
Some places it is legal and others it is not. I have state land across the river from me, yet i can not shoot on it. 5 miles from me however is state land i can shoot on. Go to the DNR website they have a map on it somewhere of places you can and cannot shoot.

mikedb
02-17-2007, 12:07
Originally posted by stallion114
Unfortunetly the area where I was has rules that state all target shooting must be done at DNR shooting range. This sucks because I dont like shooting my glock from 25 yards with 1 shot every 3 seconds.
It is a great place for rifle, and trap though.

I searched for other local areas, and it looks like I would have to go to Dansville to the next closest DNR game area. Oh well.

Thanks for the quick response
Anthony

If you go to Dansville in addition to all the open land to shoot at ( please have a backstop and make sure of what is behind you, there is a small un-supervised range off of Kelly road. Take Kelley north off of Barnes. It has 4 benches. The parking area is just off to the right as you hit the top of the hill.