IL question from Texas [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IL question from Texas

TattooedGlock
02-08-2007, 19:12
My wife is in the military and we might be moving to southern IL at Scott AFB. I know that IL is one of the last communist states in the Union and I'm dreading the thought. I'm from Chicago! But I haven't lived in IL in over 19 years. What type of gun laws do I need to be aware of in southern IL? I know there's no concealed carry. What about shooting ranges and hunting? What about magazine or weapon limitations? I have an AR-15, glocks and other handguns. I'm law enforcement here in TX but not sure if that's what I'll be doing if we move. Any info would be great!

:banana:

MakeMineA10mm
02-08-2007, 20:34
There's actually several awesome ranges in SW Illinois, including the PASA range where the Master's competition used to be held.

There is awesome hunting opportunities in Southern Illinois, too.

No gun or magazine abolitions yet... (ETA: There is a prohibition on class III.) Mayor Daley and Gov. Blago. are constantly trying. There's been talk of a state version of the 94 AWB, so no high-cap magazines. Also a California-type ban on semi-autos. Also, talk of a ban on 50-cals. Basically, Chicago controls 40% of the legislature, so we're always right on the cusp of losing our rights.

You will have to have an FOID card.

Scott AFB is only about 1/2 hour from MO. Have you considered living in Missouri and letting your wife commute the 30 minutes???

hotpig
02-09-2007, 16:52
Actually California would have less restrictions on semi auto rifles than Illinois. As it stands we would still be able to have tube fed models like the Merlin model 60. I think the HI Point carbines and the camp model carbines with 10 round mags will be ok.

There are many growing communities in our area so you should be able to find a LE job close to the base. On the other hand freedom is just a few minutes west on the interstate.St Louis County is a top notch accredited PD to work for. St Louis city is always begging, I mean recruiting for the PD. I think your Post transfers to MO easier than IL who does not use the Post.

isp2605
02-09-2007, 17:31
For shooting places there are several in the Scott area including a new state-owned facility. http://dnr.state.il.us/pubaffairs/2006/may/sparta.htm
You'll need a FOID card if you are an IL resident. As soon as you establish an address then submit your FOID app. $5 for 5 yrs. http://www.isp.state.il.us/media/docdetails.cfm?DocID=38
If you are certified LEO and want to work as a LEO in IL then contact the IL Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board to determine how much of your current certification will crossover here and what you would need to be fully certified. http://www.ptb.state.il.us/outofstate/Reciprocity2006.pdf
As others have said there is no AWB, no mag limits, no purchasing limits, no permits to buy. Just need a FOID card.
There's a pretty decent gun show at Belleville and Collinsville several times a year.

TattooedGlock
02-21-2007, 14:44
YEAH! MY WIFE DIDN'T GET THE JOB! WE GET TO STAY IN TEXAS, CARRY GUNS AND LIVE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RENEA
03-08-2007, 00:56
Thats a good thing. God Bless Texas!

Originally posted by TattooedGlock
YEAH! MY WIFE DIDN'T GET THE JOB! WE GET TO STAY IN TEXAS, CARRY GUNS AND LIVE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!