new bow, for deer hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : new bow, for deer hunting

ithaca_deerslayer
02-09-2007, 12:05
I'm buying a new bow. Reflex Highlander. Goes up to 65 pounds. 75% let off. Guess it is made by Hoyt. Costs $349. I've heard they aren't making them in 2007 anymore.

I shoot with fingers. Hopefully the 36" axel will be good for that. I was thinking about a Bowtech Tomkat, but that has a shorter axel, maybe more prone to pinching fingers. Also more expensive.

I'll go with new carbon arrows, and 90 grain tips, and shorter arrows that the new bow allows. I had been using 124 grain and aluminum longer arrows. My old bow shot at 200 fps, and this one should shoot 270 fps for me (factory spec is 300 fps). Hopefully that will translate into a really flat trajectory.

Any comments/opinions?

Sharker
02-09-2007, 14:50
I am not an avid archer, so I know nothing about that bow. I have owned bows since I was 14 (16 years) and my newest bow (a PSE solocam) has basically collected dust the last 3 years.

The reason I posted is, I also finger shoot. I cant get into the devices. I do shoot rather well (well atleast the last time I shot I did) but these newer bows are made for devices as far as I can tell. My new one pinched me a lot.

Good luck. Hope you kill em up.

A_Swede_17_1911
02-13-2007, 09:27
It might be iffy on the axle to axle length, with the fingers you will just have to shoot it to find out.

Theres really nothing bad with releases, I shooting fingers and release.

Anyhow on the arrows, I would go with 100, grain tips since its easier to find broadheads in that weight range rather than 90 grains.

I dont know how long your draw length is but at a 29" draw, I shoot a 27 1/2" arrow with a fall away rest. I just started using the Easton Axis FMJ, and those things really penetrate well, and fly great out of my bow.

One thing with the carbon arrows, it you need to knock tune them to get the best flight out of them. Some have inconsitancys in spine, and you need to find were that seam is at times to get the best flight. Now if you shooting em and they shoot great or good enough for you, from the get go I would just leave em alone.

I am waiting for my Reflex Caribou, with has a lenght of 45" or so, is going to be a nice finger shooters bow. I plan on shooting aluminums though it, since I have about 3 Dozen 2117 Easton shafts, so I have plenty of arrows for it. There the same shaft I shoot out of my Recurve.

I have heard that in Carbon Arrows the Easton/Beman have the most consistant spines. In carbons, I always shot goldtips, but last 1/2 didn't shoot as well as goldtips I have had in the past.

Have fun with you new bow, get out there and get that thing tuned.

mcculleb
02-13-2007, 09:45
If you are willing to spend a few more bucks get the Reflex SuperSlam. I have one and I love it. I shoot a release so I don't know what it would be like shooting with fingers but I love mine. I have. I have about 900-1000 dollars into it. That includes case, arrows, broadheads, sight, release, and all of the other goodies. Just the bow was around 500. As for the arrows stay away from the alluminum ones. IMO they are junk. Once they are bent they are bent. I shoot the Carbon Express Maxima Hunters. They are around 120/12 but they are great. Email or PM me if you want a list of accessories that go great with it.

GeorgiaGlockMan
02-13-2007, 20:52
Sounds like a real nice bow.

Reflex is basically = to the older hoyt designs. Usually the reflex bows are sold at big box stores as Hoyt has agreements with their dealer reps. The Reflexs are very fine bows regardless.

I shot with a release so I'm no help there. But I'd think with finger release that a longer axle to axle length would only help. Why stuck on the finger release?

Hard to beat the gold tip pro hunter carbons.

Good luck!

A_Swede_17_1911
02-14-2007, 18:16
I would still check out the Reflex bows, I would put them like the Diamond Brand bows, like BowTech makes.

If you are just hell bent on shooting fingers that is fine. I do think you might do well with a release. It does make you alot more consistant as well.

I am just waiting for my Reflex Caribou, which is a fingershooters bow with a 45 1/2" axle to axle length. I do plan on playing around shooting it with fingers for a while, but I know I am just going to end up puting a d-loop, and using a release with it. Its just going to be a really stable hunting/target bow for me.

Its my plan to use it for my back up bow for Elk hunting this year. I just plan on shooting some 2117 easton aluminum shafts with 125 grain broadheads. I just have a whole lot of full lenth 2117 shafts from my recurve that will work just fine with this compound so thats why I am using them. This kinda of my low buck project bow, buying everything off of ebay as cheap as I can.

I far as carbon shafts sometimes you will find you that you might need to go up to the slighty higher spine. This depends on your arrow length, and cam design and let off as well. You will need a slightly stiffer arrow when shooting fingers as well, so keep that in mind. Also if you do plan on shooting fingers, a good fall away rest is the Trophy Ridge Freestyle, its designed for finger shooters. It allows you to shoot a carbon shafted arrow with full helical fletches with good arrow flight out of the bow as well.

I appologize for rambling on and on about this, but I am really getting bit by the Archery bug, now that I have picked up my bow again. I have bought 2 bows this year so far. So I think I am done with the buying equipment, just have to get 2 of my compounds dailed in.

Just wait till you get in to recurves.

I think that you would work well with the Carbon arrows, I

ithaca_deerslayer
02-15-2007, 10:08
I got into bowhunting around 1982, and started with a 50 lb Ben Pearson compound, 50% let-off. I had a 35 lb recurve target bow before that. My older brother had hunted with a 45 lb recurve that I shot occasionally. My current bow that I've had for a couple decades is a York 65 pound, 65% let-off, 44" axle length.

I tried my current bow with a mechanical release back when I first got it. I was just seeing what it was like. Didn't feel comfortable. Took me too far away from my shooting roots. One of my brothers starting shooting compound then, with a mechanical release. We'd compete against each other, and were even (with me using fingers). Another brother still shoots recurve (60 pound Bear).

So, while everyone else says to shoot with a mechanical release, I don't. Guess I just like shooting fingers. I'm also going to buy a nice recurve someday, too.

Anyway, I test-shot the Reflex Highlander and really like it. I don't think the 36" axel will be a problem, and I didn't notice pinching. I suspect a shorter bow probably would become a problem.

The guy where I'm buying it really likes carbon arrows and doesn't trust aluminum not to bend unnoticed. He seemed to make sense, so since I was getting a new bow, I figured I might as well go with carbons. It is more a matter of me letting him set up the bow for me and then see how it shoots compared to my old bow.