DNR temp admin rule changes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DNR temp admin rule changes

txgho1911
02-09-2007, 17:03
This is copied off the calendar. I hope to see a few people there.

http://www.in.gov/apps/utils/calendar/eventcal?PF=nrc&Clist=120&Elist=116915

Proposed Fish and Wildlife Rule Amendments (LSA #06-272) Feb 13, 2007 6:00 PM
EST
Indiana Time Zones
Blue Heron Room, The Garrison, 6002 N. Post Rd, Indianapolis This event is handicapped accessible
PUBLIC HEARING

This event is a public hearing to receive comment regarding proposed rule amendments to various sections of 312 IAC 9 that governs the management of fish and wildlife. Amends sections governing hunting deer by firearms (proposed amendment to allow use of certain pistol cartridges in rifles); hunting deer by bow and arrows; endangered species of mammals; migratory birds and waterfowl; endangered species of birds; endangered species of reptiles and amphibians; endangered species of fish; and endangered species of invertebrates.

You may appear and offer oral or written comment. Comments may also be submitted by regular mail (Natural Resources Commission, Division of Hearings, 402 W. Washington Street, Room W272, Indianapolis, IN 46204) or to jkane@nrc.in.gov.

Written comments must be received no later than February 15.

rhino465
02-11-2007, 19:49
I'm going to try to attend, but I don't think the weather is going to cooperate.

We should contact them and see if they will cancel and reschedule if the roads are really, really bad.

KSFreeman
02-13-2007, 10:51
Sent my letter in already. Follow up with phone calls.:)

txgho1911
02-13-2007, 11:35
From the website today:
THIS PUBLIC HEARING HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER, AND WILL BE RESCHEDULED. THE PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO A DATE TO BE DETERMINED--MOST PROBABLY MID-MARCH.

I called in to ask them to clarify. At first it only said cancelled.

txgho1911
03-26-2007, 20:30
RNC meeting for public comment on proposed rule changes concerning center fire rifle in common pistol calibers.

I attended the meeting tonight and met a lot of good people. From about 30+ people there where 2-3 neg/fence positions and one solid negative commenter. Some of the solid and semi negative ideas where around public perception. Others included misinformation about these rifles being a jump in firepower. A few comments mentioned “30 rd clips”.

It was mentioned that every negative point had answers to include healthy hunter education and general firearms safety. Another point can be for cartridge capacity. A Marlin BIG rep was present and I am sorry I did not get his name. He made known after the meeting about the fact that many rifles in the popular calibers have a 10 or more round capacity. I believe this will lead to a plug or low capacity mag requirement. I mentioned they can make the rule to include a limit on loaded capacity but this was brushed off as unenforceable. Sounds as though the capacity question may be left for another time. It was noted many other states have a 3-5 round limit for hunting. They would not break precedent with a limit here. Geographic exception was brought up as a possible way to alleviate poor impression of greatly expanding firearms use in more urban areas. This included a possible list of counties with certain populations and cities to not be allowed the center fire pistol cal rifles. I think this would make sense for higher power calibers. But not the cartridges described.

There where quite a few chairs open there tonight. I think I recognized a few folks but no one I would know well.

I Met a gentleman there named Mike and he had some concerns and other ideas. He brought to everyone’s attention an activity by the Marion County city county council. Currently there is a difference in law between the inner loop of Indpls and outside the loop. Not sure where to look that one up so I will include the document identifying info.
Proposal no 174, 2007 Amends chapter 451.

Some individuals on this list do not agree with me on allowing center fire rifles for seasonal hunting. Ok so what. Lets stay on the same side for personal rights for everyone.

MikeL74
03-27-2007, 07:54
There's precedent for county-specific equipment rules too--WI for example allows rifles in some counties, but shotgun-only in others. For the cartridges being discussed here that would be a "feel good" thing with no ballistic merit.

IIRC capacity is not restricted for any hunting in Indiana now (aside from waterfowl, which I think is Fed rules?) so I'd rather not see them bring it up and start a precedent for that here.