Best Guide ROD for GLOCKS??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Guide ROD for GLOCKS???

charlie-xray
02-10-2007, 08:40
What could be the best guide rod out there for a Glock, SS or Tungsten and what brand and where to buy?

Add: the standard recoil spring is 17-18lbs, what's the benefit or main purpose of using a reduced power recoil spring in the 11-15lbs bracket? And vice versa, what would the benefit of using a Extra power recoil spring?

Thanks in advance

9MX
02-10-2007, 09:15
charlie,

i'm assuming its for your G17. if yes, my recommendation is to leave it as is;)

charlie-xray
02-10-2007, 09:18
Yes on the G17, but am also planning to change my G23's.

Originally posted by 9MX
charlie,

i'm assuming its for your G17. if yes, my recommendation is to leave it as is;)

Django
02-10-2007, 09:18
Stick with the OFM guide rod but buy a spare.

I have been there. I switched to a SS guiderod, then to one with mercury inside (TP), then to a tungsten one, dabbled with several recoil springs of vatrious weights and now I'm finally back to the original guiderod.

Hindsight, I could have saved a lot if I asked then.

charlie-xray
02-10-2007, 09:20
Wow cool, what a predicament you went thru thanks for sharing and saving me a lot of grief in the process.

Did it not feel right? or you experienced a lot of FTE's and sorts?

Originally posted by Django
Stick with the OFM guide rod but buy a spare.

I have been there. I switched to a SS guiderod, then to one with mercury inside (TP), then to a tungsten one, dabbled with several recoil springs of vatrious weights and now I'm finally back to the original guiderod.

Hindsight, I could have saved a lot if I asked then.

Django
02-10-2007, 10:28
You'll be surprised that if the recoil spring weight in a Glock is not stout enough, the slide moves back a teeny bit when you pull (or squeeze) the trigger. While this has not affected function in my Glock 17, I found it very distracting.

Tinkering with the recoil spring weight also makes the cycle time erratic which result in FTF or double feeds in my experience.

As far as I am concerned, tungsten rods, while helping out in dampening recoil, makes the gun muzzle heavy, thus slowing the transistion from one target to another. If I exert more force to accelerate the movement, I tend to overswing on the next target. Of course another issue (and the bigger one if you ask me) is the cost of a tungsten rod.

st. matthew
02-10-2007, 10:36
if it's a glock, keep it stock. except for the sights of course:supergrin:

ilocano
02-10-2007, 11:38
+1 on keeping the original guide rod and changing the sights

PhiberOptik
02-10-2007, 12:41
Don't fix what is not broken.

isuzu
02-10-2007, 12:55
Use the original guide rod. Two friends who had a Glock 19s used steel guide rods. For some reason, the area in between where the barrel and guide rod holes cracked. Other friends who also have Glocks and didn't change their guide rods didn't encounter any problems.

jerrytrini
02-10-2007, 18:40
Both my G17s have captured SS guide rods. These are the same pistols I carry on duty and shoot in matches. In my opinion, the SS guide rod is better than the factory part. I had a Tungsten rod also but finding the right spring was a nightmare. My 2 Euros.

charlie-xray
02-11-2007, 00:14
Thanks for all your inputs, surely learned a lot from you guys. Now I can make a calculated decision.

mtho
02-11-2007, 07:10
Originally posted by jerrytrini
Both my G17s have captured SS guide rods. These are the same pistols I carry on duty and shoot in matches. In my opinion, the SS guide rod is better than the factory part. I had a Tungsten rod also but finding the right spring was a nightmare. My 2 Euros.

ISMI came out with their glock springs shootersconnection have it availabe.

royal glockster
02-11-2007, 09:05
I kept my g19 in stock. I find no reason to replace it...

Putok-Glock
02-11-2007, 19:18
My glock 35 competition pistol has a tungsten captured guide rod from glockmeister, dawson fo front sight, dawson magwell and ismi 17# recoil spring. So far so good. The g.rod and magwell will surely alter the balance of the pistol but it can be offset by lots of practice, dry and live fire. The additional weight although minimal will affect the recoil characteristic of light pistols like glocks. But it will be for the better, in my opinion. As for the swing from target to target, the weight is not an issue if you consider and compare it to the weight of a metal-framed 1911. The cure is correct practice. Hth.

charlie-xray
02-12-2007, 00:38
A bit OT but do you guys who have G17/G23 or any other Glocks especially with you gents who have more than 1K thru your Glocks experience a whitening of the surface (or color black finish) removed from the firing pin area (surrounding this area) before the barrel the part which usually hits the primer or bottom of the ammo.

Putok-Glock
02-12-2007, 00:46
Originally posted by charlie-xray
A bit OT but do you guys who have G17/G23 or any other Glocks especially with you gents who have more than 1K thru your Glocks experience a whitening of the surface (or color black finish) removed from the firing pin area (surrounding this area) before the barrel the part which usually hits the primer or bottom of the ammo.
Not sure what you mean, but if its the breech face, its normal. word of caution though, avoid dry firing it w/o a snap cap or this area will break.

charlie-xray
02-12-2007, 04:04
Thanks, ano ba mas ok na snap cap yung plastic ang tinatamaan ng 'striker' or yung copper din.

Originally posted by Putok-Glock
Not sure what you mean, but if its the breech face, its normal. word of caution though, avoid dry firing it w/o a snap cap or this area will break.

Putok-Glock
02-12-2007, 04:32
Thanks, ano ba mas ok na snap cap yung plastic ang tinatamaan ng 'striker' or yung copper din.

pareho ok

mtho
02-12-2007, 09:02
go to http://www.mattburkett.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68&Itemid=241&Itemid=98 and listen to radio show #17 theres this guy who really likes glocks and have extensive experience with it

Eddie C.
02-12-2007, 09:24
I bought a Wolff guide rod and replacement spring for my G17. The 17 was brand new and I sent it out to Bowie Tactical Concepts for some work to make it fit me better. David Bowie is a member of this site and goes by the name 'Bowie Tactical'.

After I sent the gun to David I told him how I purchased a guide rod and spring from Wolff's. He told there was no need as he never changes his. He has a gun that has almost 100,000 rounds through it and still runs like a champ. He never changes the guide rods in his Glocks.

http://bowietacticalconcepts.com/sitebuilder/images/eddie_glock_1_edited-1-417x271.jpg

I still have the Wolff guide rod and spring in the package sitting in my safe.

charlie-xray
02-12-2007, 09:51
Wow very convincing 100K no change parts, now that's reliability.

Originally posted by Eddie C.
I bought a Wolff guide rod and replacement spring for my G17. The 17 was brand new and I sent it out to Bowie Tactical Concepts for some work to make it fit me better. David Bowie is a member of this site and goes by the name 'Bowie Tactical'.

After I sent the gun to David I told him how I purchased a guide rod and spring from Wolff's. He told there was no need as he never changes his. He has a gun that has almost 100,000 rounds through it and still runs like a champ. He never changes the guide rods in his Glocks.

http://bowietacticalconcepts.com/sitebuilder/images/eddie_glock_1_edited-1-417x271.jpg

isuzu
02-12-2007, 22:01
Originally posted by Eddie C.

I made the right decision of not changing my guiderods on my Glocks.:)

atmarcella
02-12-2007, 23:25
changing to SS or tungsten giude rod increases slide speed, this is where the problem starts, you'll have ftf's. the remedy is to change to a stronger mag spring, if you plan to compete w/ your glock go right ahead, if you carry it.... leave it as it is. currently im using a 14 coil ismi mag spring to keep up with the increased slide speed that resulted w/ all the changes i made hehehehe:thumbsup:

btw,
i feel non-captured guide rods are better than the captured ones, the springs are easier to change:thumbsup:

Bamboozled!!!
02-13-2007, 16:38
Add: the standard recoil spring is 17-18lbs, what's the benefit or main purpose of using a reduced power recoil spring in the 11-15lbs bracket? And vice versa, what would the benefit of using a Extra power recoil spring?

Thanks in advance

C-X, Savvy glocksmith and competitor Matt Kartozian from Custom Glock Racing has a brief and very informative primer on spring weights.

http://www.custom-glock.com/springtech.html

I hope this helps.

Putok-Glock
02-13-2007, 22:37
Originally posted by atmarcella
changing to SS or tungsten giude rod increases slide speed, this is where the problem starts, you'll have ftf's. the remedy is to change to a stronger mag spring, if you plan to compete w/ your glock go right ahead, if you carry it.... leave it as it is. currently im using a 14 coil ismi mag spring to keep up with the increased slide speed that resulted w/ all the changes i made hehehehe:thumbsup:

btw,
i feel non-captured guide rods are better than the captured ones, the springs are easier to change:thumbsup:

My experience to these is the opposite. and I played and shot my glock 35 in IPSC matches and range sessions for 50K+ rounds to date. I use OEM mags w/ orig springs and Gk ext pads or arredondo +3 bpds w/ wolff mag springs. Accurate and reliable as can be.

atmarcella
02-14-2007, 07:02
p-g,

you mean slide speed goes down when you use SS/tungsten guide rod???

batangueno
02-14-2007, 07:35
How does the type of guide rod affect the slide velocity? Ang alam ko kasi, among others, the recoil spring weight has the main influence on slide velocity.

Putok-Glock
02-14-2007, 08:31
Originally posted by atmarcella
p-g,

you mean slide speed goes down when you use SS/tungsten guide rod???

I mean I never had a jam thats attributable to the metal g.rod. As to the slide slowing down or otherwise, cant positively perceive it. Think the slide speed is the same as in using the plastic g.rod. And I never felt the need to tune the mag springs to the type of g.rod. My primary purpose for the tungsten guide rod was to add weight for recoil management. As to the ads that the oem plastic g.rod flex under recoil so a metal one is best, think its not true. The g.rod is never under flexural sress on its length before, during and after firing. Unless the rec. spring is binding in the rod. And thats another prob thats not related to the material of the g.rod. Just my 2cents.

mtho
02-14-2007, 08:59
i think to slow down the slide speed you'd need a weaker recoil spring, a weaker spring would be slower in pushing the slide back after the shot so more time for the next bullet from the magazine to go into position.

Putok-Glock
02-14-2007, 09:15
Originally posted by mtho
i think to slow down the slide speed you'd need a weaker recoil spring, a weaker spring would be slower in pushing the slide back after the shot so more time for the next bullet from the magazine to go into position.

Yes, but its faster in its rearward travel. W/ heavier rec spring, slower rearward speed, faster forward speed. Result - w/in a certain load parameter and spring weights in the same pistol, the total time for 1 full recoil cycle of the slide w/ lighter rec spring is the same as that w/ heavier spring, only the characteristics of recoil impulse are different. W/c of the 2 is better is individual preference.

s0nny_g17
02-14-2007, 10:40
which do you think is faster the cycle of the slide or your finger pressing the trigger?

aftermarket parts are made to be better than stock (but not all of them)

MR_BIG
02-14-2007, 11:38
Originally posted by Putok-Glock
My experience to these is the opposite. and I played and shot my glock 35 in IPSC matches and range sessions for 50K+ rounds to date. I use OEM mags w/ orig springs and Gk ext pads or arredondo +3 bpds w/ wolff mag springs. Accurate and reliable as can be.

ive used SS guiderods and tungsten ones for IPSC, went back to stock when they where used for carry

atmarcella
02-14-2007, 21:55
Originally posted by batangueno
How does the type of guide rod affect the slide velocity? Ang alam ko kasi, among others, the recoil spring weight has the main influence on slide velocity.

cguro its bcos the plastic g.rod flexes.... or maybe it was bcos when i shifted to tungsten i also changed to a weaker spring......it think its the latter.....problema sakin mag palit ako sabay sabay so hindi ko na alam kung san galing ang resulting problem hehehehehe:supergrin: