Where do YOU shop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where do YOU shop?

Indy_Guy_77
02-10-2007, 11:44
I was thinking about this the other day and decided to post it. I think that I know where MOST of the "gun shops" are in many of the places that I routinely find myself; but others might not know about them.

So, I thought I'd list where "my" shops are. Perhaps this can be made a "sticky" if several others wish to post their spots, too?

-Crawfordsville:
Bal Hinch Country Store
SR 47 and Airport Road
Doesn't keep much inventory, but can special order.

New York Shoe Shop
Now closed due to John's passing.

-Lafayette:
Sportsman's Warehouse
Creasy and SR 26
fair to high prices. New firearms only. Ammuntion seems average

Arrows III
SR 25 and I-65
Mostly archery, but has some firearms.

Lafayette Guns & Gear
2420 Glick St
Decent prices on new and used, decent prices on ammunition.
Plenty of other 'stuff', too. (holsters, knives, etc)

Walker Taxidermy & Sporting
SR 25 and OLD US 231
prices seem a bit high to me

*need name*
Concord Rd, north of CR 350 S, South of Teal
on side-street...Olympic or Olympia?
high prices
indoor range

-Rensselaer
Jerry's Gun Shop
565 W Kannal Ave (north of Walmart about 1/2 mile)

-Sheridan
There's a new(er) shop downtown
(more info needed, please)

-Whitestown
Second Amendment Guns
S. Main St.
Class III dealer (I believe)
Prices seemed a tad high

-Michigan City
Kempf
US 20, about 4 miles East of US 421
7625 W Us Highway 20

-Evansville
Strictly Shooting
Stockwell Rd. and Indiana St. -east side, south of the mall
indoor range

-Cicero
Wyatt's Sporting Goods
40 E. Buckeye
Class III
Prices are a bit high.

-Merrilville
Gander Mountain
Near the Mall
US 30 and I-65

-Indianapolis and suburbs
Gander Mountain
North of Castleton Mall, on 86th St.

Gander Mountain
I-65 south and County Line Road

Don's Guns
38th & Georgetown
(I hope that no one will EVER give even a dollar to this enterprise)
indoor range

Pop Guns
Just south of Post and Washington on the East side
indoor range
average prices

Albro Guns
S. Emerson St (south of 465)
4578 S Emerson Ave
nice folks
average prices

Wanamaker Guns
7915 Southeastern Ave
average to 'just rite' prices
nice folks
mil-surp rifles

Bradis Guns
6939 S Kentucky Ave
very knowledgable employees
good prices
ammunition galore
mil-surp rifles

Pawn shop
38th and Illinois
Do special orders
inventory is small and mostly "cheap"...

Pawn Shop
10th & Alton
prices slightly high
decent inventory for a pawn shop

500 Guns
3602 W 16th St
HIGH prices

Elmore's Guns - Greenwood
SR 135 and Fairview. Behind Mike's Carwash
large inventory
average to high prices
foul-mouthed employees/owner
cigar and cigarette smoke-filled - asthmatics beware
if you're not a regular, don't expect great service

Outdoorsman Sport Shop
1010 S State Road 135.
HIGH prices

Plainfield Shooting Supply
3735 Shady Ln Ste C
decent prices
knowledgeable and friendly employees
can be 'smokey' depending on who's working - asthmatics beware

-J-

I.P.D. R.I.P.
02-10-2007, 17:57
Elmore's is the only shop I use.

And it's a real gunshop not some sort of politically correct kiddy palace.

The only problem with customer service I have ever seen there is from elmore's son (the Catalog Comando).Who really works hard at ignoring customers by playing with his cell phone or with the newest doo-dad that has arrived.And expects anyone who bothers to waste his time to spend alot on what he expects them to buy.

Russ and George are very knowledgeable and always patient with customers.

They have a new web site up and running www.elmoresfirearms.com But alas it is very snotty and poorly done and must have been done by "The Jason" because it touts his great customer service which is nonexistent and a joke.

The best buys at Elmore's are usually on used guns and he gets alot in;)

Indy_Guy_77
02-10-2007, 20:18
I would think, though, that ANY business owner where the 'general public' walks in to do business, they'd not smoke openly on the main floor.

They're entitled to do it...but bad form man, bad form.

I.P.D. R.I.P.
02-10-2007, 22:23
Originally posted by Indy_Guy_77
I would think, though, that ANY business owner where the 'general public' walks in to do business, they'd not smoke openly on the main floor.

It's his shop and has been very sucessufull,and alot of his customers smoke and enjoy doing so there.

I don't smoke myself but it's his right and it doesn't affect me,and he does have a high tech smoke filter running all the time.

I'm glad to see not everyone has bowed to the politically correct era and is conducting their lives as they want.It's your right not to go their because of the smoke and his right to smoke in his own place.

The pro's outweight the con's in his shop in my opinion;)

bill123
02-10-2007, 23:22
KS&E sporting goods. North east on Pendleton pike from 465. Bout 2 miles on left. Tell Ed you found a nickel in the parking lot. He must have missed it.

KSFreeman
02-11-2007, 15:18
I buy guns from Les at Lafayette Guns & Gear, Tippecanoe Sport Shop (Walker's), Applied Ballistics, Sportman's Warehouse, Ram-Z Pawn (one Elmwood in Lafayette), Kiesler's (truly a paradise), or on-line if I am hot for something and the Indy 1500 gun shows.

Last whole gun (I've been on a lower receiver streak recently) I purchased was a Browning T-bolt at Sportman's Warehouse. I've only purchased a few guns there as they only sell new. I bought my Dad a Henry .22 and a Marlin 915YS and Ruger Compact 10/22 for my nephews for Christmas.

I like to spread out my purchases and support as many shops as I can. I've purchased guns from all over Indiana. Heck, I used to make a trip to Kiesler's every Knob Creek just to buy one gun.

One of my favorite things to do is when I have a case in another county is to hit the gun shops there. I had a case in Parke County once and I was driving back (36 to 231 north) I passed the "Morton Country Store" and saw that they advertised ammo. I stopped and went in not expecting anything. Holy cow, was I wrong. I saw case after glass case of pistols and one side of the store was nothing but long guns!

Most of the long guns were Billy Bobs that had been dropped off a deer stand, but the pistols were solid. I bought a Ruger Service Six with a 6" tube and could not get over the fact that there is a solid gun store in Morton, Indiana (go figure).

We should make a map of all the gun stores in Indiana and then drive around to them. You know like a road rally in England. Just think if we all took motorcycles.:supergrin:

usaf207cwf
02-11-2007, 16:13
PSS...just seeing Steve is worth the trip...:rofl:

Bradis...they are ok, only go there if PSS doesn't have it

Pop Guns...only if they are they only place that has it...nothing personal, just a little busy for my taste...but the do have a good selection of AR stuff

Dons Guns...if somehow all of the other gunshops in a 500 mile radius of my house were not open...:thumbsup:

epsylum
02-11-2007, 18:05
I just got a gun from Indiana Gun Club in Giest. Mostly shotguns, but a very small slection of rifles and the best price on powder and primers in town.

I mostly shot at PSS though and have bought a few guns at Bradis and KS&E.

Patrick Graham
02-11-2007, 18:16
-Sheridan
There's a new(er) shop downtown
(more info needed, please)

Would that be His and Her Target Sports?
408 S Main St
Sheridan In 46069
(317) 765-5886

rhino465
02-11-2007, 18:47
Darrel's Custom Firearms (DCF)
104 E Curtis Street
Cayuga, IN 47928
(765) 429-3939

Geeorge
02-12-2007, 12:01

Elmore's Guns - Greenwood
SR 135 and Fairview. Behind Mike's Carwash
large inventory
average to high prices
foul-mouthed employees/owner
cigar and cigarette smoke-filled - asthmatics beware
if you're not a regular, don't expect great service

-J-

I buy most of my stuff at Elmore's and was in there today for a couple of hours.People were smoking but the shop was not smokey as the filtration system took care of it.I heard no foul language and bought a gun at a fair price while I was there.

After reading all your reviews you sound alittle whiney and anal to me,but that's just my opinion:upeyes:

seamus
02-12-2007, 12:40
KS&E for me, never a dull moment in there. I have to help Ed get "gas money" now and then.

skydelta34
02-12-2007, 12:42
Is 2nd amendment in Whitestown still open?

boilergonzo
02-12-2007, 13:38
Locally in the Indy area, PopGun's, Plainfield Shooting Supply, and Albro's.

As mentioned, Kiseler's near Louisville is a good stop, and I also have purchased a couple guns from Midwest Gun Exchange (Mishawaka location).

I look a lot at Gander Mtn, but haven't bought firearms from them. I have been in Don's but see no need to go back...

sjstill
02-12-2007, 14:52
Originally posted by usaf207cwf
PSS...just seeing Steve is worth the trip...:rofl:

Thanks. I think :animlol:

Indy_Guy_77
02-12-2007, 17:11
Originally posted by Cletus VanDamme
After reading all your reviews you sound alittle whiney and anal to me,but that's just my opinion:upeyes:

Yes, I am a bit anal-retentive. And yes, it DOES have a hyphen.

As far as being "whiney"...perhaps. I definitely try NOT to whine at all, however. My mommy says it's not becoming for a 29 year old man to whine.

In other news:

I was able to locate and visit both Ram-Z Exchange in Lafayette and KS&E on Pendleton Pike in Indy.

Was impressed with Ram-Z in general. I think I spent more time looking at the fossils and then the coins than I did the firearms. I did find two boxes of 9mm Luger for $8.00 while there, too. They also have an ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS (about 100%) Radom viz p35 there, too.

KS&E was a better experience than I expected, too. I didn't check ammunition prices there, but the prices marked on the handguns were fair. Where else can you get a new KelTec P380 for $220? Also has several FEG PA-63's for about $170.

I'll need to keep Cayuga and Morton on my 'radar', too.

Also, has anyone else been to the shop over in Winchester, IN? It's just a few blocks south of SR 32. It's been almost a year since I've been there but, I've never seen that many firearms outside of a show.

-J-

aglocker1911
02-12-2007, 18:51
I think you mean Ludco guns in Parker, not Winchester. Yes, he certainly has the inventory. In cases, on poles, and hanging from the ceiling. It takes quite a while just to take it all in. ANd he's open Sunday's too.

epsylum
02-12-2007, 18:52
KS&E was a better experience than I expected, too. I didn't check ammunition prices there, but the prices marked on the handguns were fair. Where else can you get a new KelTec P380 for $220? Also has several FEG PA-63's for about $170.
-J-

They used to have $190 NIB Bersa .380s about a year or so ago.

They stock mostly the european ammo like Fiocchi. Prices on ammo ranges from fair to not that great depending on what it is. I cannot complain about their gun prices though. They have the lowest prices on CZs anywhere. They are one of only a few CZ factory direct dealers around (no distributer, he calls and orders directly from CZ). My dad orderd a CZ 453 Varmint .22lr rifle through them for $410. This is the heavy barrel one with the set trigger. He has not shot it yet, but it is dang nice and has an amazing trigger when you set it.

I have been to Elmore's They have okay prices on some things and decent prices on others. I thought the staff was pretty friendly even as it was pretty apparent that I was only a looky-loo. I have not been back again only because it is pretty far for me and they moved and I am not quite sure where they are at now. If you are bothered by smoke, I am going to assume you got to KS&E in between smoke breaks. Also I would stay out of Plainfield for the same reason. Then again, my brother smokes so it does not bother me too much (I still HATE it when the air blows it directly into my face).

Patrick Graham
02-12-2007, 21:18

They ain't entitled to do it in Kokomo.. If I catch some retard smoking in a store in omokoK I call the cops and have them beaten, tazered and their dogs shot..

I can't wait until Indianapolis pulls into the 21st century and passes a smoking ban like the rest of Indiana.

epsylum
02-12-2007, 21:28
Originally posted by Patrick Graham
They ain't entitled to do it in Kokomo.. If I catch some retard smoking in a store in omokoK I call the cops and have them beaten, tazered and their dogs shot..

I can't wait until Indianapolis pulls into the 21st century and passes a smoking ban like the rest of Indiana.

I mean, 2nd hand smoke kills, so it is attempted murder.

:animlol:

Ignition
02-13-2007, 02:44
honestly i dont think the govt should intrude like that when it comes to smoking but what should i know.

heck i dont even smoke myself, but think big picture

oh and wyatts in cicero, although a small shop is a good one.

KSFreeman
02-13-2007, 10:18
Pat, settle down, have a smoke.:supergrin: :rofl:

I'm with you on the stores that smell and feel like an ashtray. I'll go in to look but I better see something right away as I don't like to stay.

Anyone remember the Bullet Hole on the Southside? That's where my dad used to take us to shoot every Thursday night when we were growing up. That place was worse than a bar in the perpetual haze of cigarette smoke! Tons of smoke in the air. Used to run from the car to the shower.:supergrin:

rhino465
02-13-2007, 12:33

I have to disagree with you, Pat.

Private business owners have the right to determine whether or not people are allowed to smoke in their establishments. You can't formulate an argument that will convince me otherwise.

YOU and everyone else have the right to either go there or not go there. You have the right to vote with your feet and your dollars, and of course make it known to the owner why you don't patronize them. You DON'T have the right to force them to change their business practices based on your DESIRE to enter THEIR premises and have it the way you want it to be.

There was an attempt last year by the city council in Crawfordsville to jump on the smoking ban bandwagon and I did everything I could to stop it. Eventually we were successful (thanks to the minority support of three of the council members and a very proper and righteous veto by the mayor). Thus, at least in Crawfordsville, business owners did not lose yet another of their rights.

I don't smoke. I can't stand smoke. I avoid places that smoke. No one smokes in my home or vehicle. I don't ride with anyone who smokes in their vehicle. I don't remain in enclosed areas around people who smoke, even if they are friends.

I also don't have the right to tell a private business owner how to run his business. It's his choice and he has to deal with it. Smoke is the primary reason I do not go to Elmore's. I was unaware they had installed a filtration system, but if it's really effective, I might consider going there again.

sjstill
02-13-2007, 12:38

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.....:upeyes: :upeyes:

What's next, Comrade? Papers, please??

Hell, eat a big bowl of beansoup, and fight smoke with farts.... :rofl:

epsylum
02-13-2007, 13:56
I think I may be in the minority here, but I took Pat's statement as a sarcastic one.

Who knows, maybe I am wrong.

Patrick Graham
02-13-2007, 20:32
Originally posted by epsylum
I think I may be in the minority here, but I took Pat's statement as a sarcastic one.

Who knows, maybe I am wrong.

You're pretty good at reading between the lines and picking up on details.. ;)

They only tazer them in bloominton for smoking..

Indy_Guy_77
02-13-2007, 22:44
Yes, Patrick Graham, His & Her Target Sports in Sheridan is the one that I refered to in the OP.

Skydelta, yes, 2nd Amendment Arms in Whiteland is still open for business; I was in there about 10 days ago, now.

And finally, aglocker, yes...Ludco. Man, what an inventory that guy has! If anyone is anywhere near the east-central part of Indiana, this store is absolutely worth the effort to find and drive to it. Be prepared to spend a few hours just looking around BEFORE you get to what's actually in the cases.

Also, it seems that the thread has gotten quasi-hijacked. Now, I seriously don't mind the good-natured ribbing and cynicism about smoking and the like... BUT, I'd hoped that this thread could become a resource for We Hoosiers. Perhaps when it settles down a bit someone with 'the authority' will see fit to cull the "gun shop information" out and post it into a stickified thread.

Everyone with snow...have fun digging out! :tongueout:

-J-

Patrick Graham
02-13-2007, 23:53
How about

Bullseye Guns
148 Creekside Dr.,
Kokomo, IN 46901
(765) 459-0077

I've done some busniess with them, they have an indoor range.

or

DOWNHAM & SONS SHOOTERS SUPPLY
729 BURLINGTON AVE
LOGANSPORT, IN
46947-4747
Phone: 574-753-4315

I got a nice deal on this 1100 at Downham

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m54/nfe6848m/1100_1.jpg

Indy_Guy_77
02-14-2007, 07:19
Excellent, Patrick Graham! That's exactly the kind of thing that I was looking for in the OP!!

I can't believe that I forgot about Bullseye in Kokomo. I've been there about a dozen times! Haven't purchased anything from then, though...yet.

I've also forgotten to add:

-Galveston
Down by the Tracks
396 E Jackson Galveston, IN
(574) 699-6891
This is RIGHT next to the RR Tracks on SR 18 (two blocks east of the intersection of US 35 and SR 18)

Patrick Graham
02-14-2007, 09:56
And another place.

Dunhams Sports, they have stores all around Indiana.

Not exactly a gun store but they sell quiet a few guns and they still have some 7.62.39 ammo left.

I got a heck of a deal on this at the Dunhams in Kokomo... They run periodic sales on these things.. I don't remember the exact price but it was way less than $300.. Got it in April of last year.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m54/nfe6848m/AK.jpg

Patrick Graham
02-14-2007, 10:04
What about 5 Points Gun Shop in Muncie are they still in busniess? 35 years ago I used to spend a lot of time in there.

And, what's the name of the big gun shop on the north side of New Castle..?? It's been 12 years since I've been there but they used to have a very large selection of SASS stuff.

rhino465
02-14-2007, 14:16
You're pretty good at reading between the lines and picking up on details.. ;)

They only tazer them in bloominton for smoking..

Pat, you MAGNIFICENT BAST***! You completely fooled me . . . I thought you were serious. Good one.

KSFreeman
02-15-2007, 14:28
Had a case in Cass County today and found out that Downham's is only 5 minutes from the courthouse in Logansport on 3rd Street.

They didn't have any guns I wanted but I cleaned them out of .410 buckshot and bought some other ammo.:)

sjstill
02-15-2007, 19:38
Think it was the Ramrod in New Castle. Heard they went out of biddness several years ago. Had boo-koo black powder building supplies, IIRC.

Indy_Guy_77
02-20-2007, 19:48
-Valparaiso/Chesterton
Fetla's trading post
South of US 30 on SR 2; about 2 miles, me thinks.
1457 S. State Rd. 2
Valparaiso, IN 46385

There is also a place north of US 30 - along the west side of SR 49. They have an indoor range (up to FBI spec's I was told).

No access from SR 49, but from another surface road.

Might be closer to Chesterton...Range Masters, perhaps?

DCSO0322
02-20-2007, 21:27
What about 5 Points Gun Shop in Muncie are they still in busniess? 35 years ago I used to spend a lot of time in there.

And, what's the name of the big gun shop on the north side of New Castle..?? It's been 12 years since I've been there but they used to have a very large selection of SASS stuff.

Prarie Creek Pawn (AKA 5 POINTS)is still there and selling.

I usually go to:

Crack Shot Guns
715 E 53rd St
Anderson, IN 46013
765-642-4867

Non smokers beware the owner smokes and allows others to smoke in the store. Just FYI. Never noticed it smelling bad in there unless there is several people smoking at once.

Seven High
02-21-2007, 07:21
Indy Guy 77: Rangemasters is now out of business. I was told that the Indiana State Police is looking at buying the building for an area training center. The last time that I was in Fetlas, the prices were really high on guns and ammo.

TheWanderer
02-21-2007, 19:50
What about Premier Arms in Brownsburg? Anyone shop there?

MikeL74
02-22-2007, 07:56
My last couple have come from Darrel's or PSS. Next one will probably come from Albro's or the 1500, just to spread it around. I wouldn't normally go all the way to Cayuga, but I was there for some gunsmithing work and he had a gun PSS didn't.

I've only had gunsmith work done through Elmore's but the service was OK. I noticed they were smoking, but it didn't seem smoky inside. (But I'm not too sensitive to it.) They had a lot of the black rifle stuff I hadn't noticed anywhere else.

No one mentioned Midwest? out of Fort Wayne. I bought one from them at the 1500 (green tablecloths) a while back.

In Terre Haute there's one on Maple Ave. around 25th I think. Patriot Arms I think is the name of it. Small shop, seemed a little high on price.

k12lts
02-22-2007, 14:46
Am I the only guy on this board that lives south of Interstate 70??

If you ever venture down this way check out:

Acme Sports
E Tipton St
Seymour, IN
Just moved to a new, larger store.
Lots of Class 3
Good prices

Bite the Bullet
8824 N US Hwy 31
Seymour, IN
Small shop
Lots of high-end hand guns (Wilson dealer)

Scott's True Value Hardware
SR 56
Scottsburg, IN
It's a hardware store with a really nice gun section and good people.

Kiesler's in Jeffersonville is alot better than they were a couple of years ago. Good ammo prices and huge inventory.

Cosner's Gun Shop
Bedford, IN
Big store with lots of guns.
Higher prices but will deal.

There are more but these are my favorites.

tlish
02-22-2007, 17:51
Originally posted by MikeL74
No one mentioned Midwest? out of Fort Wayne. I bought one from them at the 1500 (green tablecloths) a while back.

midwest gun exchange is out of mishawaka, and they also have one in elkhart w/ a range. they're nice people and have a good selection.

in the fort wayne area, i only buy from ed hirschy - by appointment only, but an amazing selection and the best prices.

norton
02-25-2007, 14:36
Originally posted by sjstill
Think it was the Ramrod in New Castle. Heard they went out of biddness several years ago. Had boo-koo black powder building supplies, IIRC.

The building they occupied north of New Castle has been vacant for some time.

grislyAdam
02-26-2007, 15:28
"midwest gun exchange is out of mishawaka, and they also have one in elkhart w/ a range. they're nice people and have a good selection."

I live about 5 min's from the Mishawaka store and have bought a lot from them but usually call around to the other dealers in the South Bend area to see if they have what I'm looking for. Some of them will beat M/W's price.
Definitely Kempf's in Michigan City for reloading supplies and Blythe's in Valpo is also part of my "circuit".

Seven High
02-26-2007, 17:18
Granger Guns on Bittersweet Rd in Mishawaka In has a good selection of firearms and reloading supplies. They treated me well.

hoosier#17
02-27-2007, 16:08
Scott's True Value Hardware
SR 56
Scottsburg, IN
Ditto on Scotts, Jeff is real good to deal with. Also, 256 Sportgarden in Austin on sr256. Good selection but you might have to chew your arm off to get away. There is also Madison Outdoors on the corner of green rd & cragmont in Madison of course.