NC or SC? Whats best? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NC or SC? Whats best?

Terry W Koss
02-13-2007, 12:54
I almost have my wife convinced, thanks to the looong stretch of cold and snow here in Michigan, into letting me transfer to Shelby NC.
Being that Shelby is so close to the SC line, I was wondering what state would be better to actually live in?
I have a MI CPL, I love to shoot, and hunting is my life. It's really why I work, so I can afford to hunt and shoot.
So, what state would be best from that standpoint, and which state would it be better to live in from a financial standpoint?
I also have two daughter's not yet in high school.
Thanks in advance, Terry.

RoyRNC
02-14-2007, 16:46
Shelby is a great area to live. I am in Charlotte, NC just about 45 minutes away. One thing to consider is that North Carolina historically has had better schools/education system than South Carolina. Other than that, I think both North and South Carolina are pretty similar as far as gun laws, etc...

If you are considering the Shelby area you will find the cost of living similar to South Carolina.

Either way if you like to Golf or go shooting you can do both just about year round.

13bullets
02-14-2007, 16:52
NC car insurance is generally a little less than SC, but in SC you don't have to get an annual car inspection.

***THIS MAY BE THE BEGINNING OF A WAR***

SC people can't drive, (they go to slow.) NC roads are better. :tongueout:

aplombardo
02-15-2007, 18:41
I like them both. SC property taxes seem a bit higher and NC traffic and population density in some areas is definately higher.
I like the SC coast better than the NC coast, but the NC Mountains are nicer than the SC Mountains :)

I always tell people to check out Greenville SC as it is a great place to live and half way between Charlotte and Atlanta. The area has plenty of jobs and good schools. All the amenities of a big city except for ultra luxury things without big-city hassles.

SC has great gun laws and is VERY gun friendly. Some NC are pretty liberal (RDU area) and I think you need a purchase permit from the Sheriff to buy a handgun. You don't need no stinkin permit in SC.
CWP is reciprocal between the states and easy to get here. We shoot IDPA and IPSC every weekend somewhere in SC also.

NC has better gunshops than SC though!

paradoxpictures
02-15-2007, 19:01
SC all the way. :thumbsup:

Rob1035
02-15-2007, 19:41
I'll take SC over NC, any day of the week (NC resident, born and raised)

Nothing makes me want to move to SC more than living in Charlotte!

RoyRNC
02-16-2007, 09:56
Originally posted by Rob1035
I'll take SC over NC, any day of the week (NC resident, born and raised)

Nothing makes me want to move to SC more than living in Charlotte!

I have to agree about Charlotte living. The traffic is getting worse, the people are rude and arrogant and the house prices are just getting ridiculous. This town is definately a have vs. have nots.

Lucking the guy who started this thread is thinking of Shelby. Another poster said Greenville, SC and I would agree. Great place to live.

Kurly
02-16-2007, 12:50
Originally posted by RoyRNC
I have to agree about Charlotte living. The traffic is getting worse, the people are rude and arrogant and the house prices are just getting ridiculous. This town is definately a have vs. have nots.

Lucking the guy who started this thread is thinking of Shelby. Another poster said Greenville, SC and I would agree. Great place to live.

++++1 to this. I've lived in Charlote now for 13 years and can't wait to move. Traffic's horrendous, crime's rampant (we're now 8th in the nation for violent crime thanks to the screwed up priorities of our elected officials who favor art museums and Nascar Hall of Fame buildings over County DA's and jails), taxes are too high and the schools suck. It used to be a nice place to live but I think Charlotte's apex has passed and will continue to decline rapidly.

Rob1035
02-16-2007, 13:44
but but but....that 3/4 billions light rail system will cure all of that!

RoyRNC
02-16-2007, 17:30
Originally posted by Rob1035
but but but....that 3/4 billions light rail system will cure all of that!

:rofl: Another answer to a question nobody asked. A light rail system.. I gues this is the alternative to fixing the roads. My alignment is getting worse each month. :sad:

Forget everything I said about North Carolina...move to South Carolina.

jm_usmc
02-16-2007, 19:56
Shelby's nothing like Charlotte. Out here in Cleveland county we don't have their taxes, inane programs, or traffic problems :supergrin: .

Shelby's a good, small town. I live in Kings Mountain just east of Shelby and go to Shelby on a regular basis. I personally would live in/around Shelby if I had a job there.

Good luck to you.:thumbsup:

PARRIS G-23
02-21-2007, 18:32
sc all the way!!! (i must admit, i do go to nc twice a year on vac!!!)

nursetim
02-21-2007, 19:10
NC, great place to visit, sucky place to live. Pistol purchase permit!?!?!? ? This sucks. As soon as I finish with school I'm out of here. Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Oregon- Whoever needs a good (new) nurse practitioner (doctor light). Durham county requires firearm registration btw. Of the two I'd pick SC.

southernshooter
02-28-2007, 05:02
Depends on what you like. Both have beaches, mountains, rivers, lakes. If you want to get away from snow SC might be better. The drawback is that the summers are a killer.

Strider47
02-28-2007, 10:44
15 years ago I would say NC hands down. Now, I think I'd probably choose SC. Too many damn yankees (NJ, NY) have infiltrated NC and the landscape and politics are starting to resemble those northern hell holes.

RoyRNC
02-28-2007, 11:22
Originally posted by Strider47
15 years ago I would say NC hands down. Now, I think I'd probably choose SC. Too many damn yankees (NJ, NY) have infiltrated NC and the landscape and politics are starting to resemble those northern hell holes.

Some of us may have lost our "Southern Hospitality" but I would like to welcome you on the behalf of all Southerns who still have proper manners.

eng23ine
03-01-2007, 04:58
The easiest way to tell you have left NC and entered SC is the fact that the roads turn to crap and gasoline is a good deal cheaper.

BTW, if you end up moving here (Shelby) look me up and I'll try and help with some of the in's and out's around here.