Snow [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Snow

9mm Luger
02-14-2007, 20:17
How's the weather in your neighborhood? I heard the southern part of the state got hit pretty good with snow and ice.

We got 8"-10" of snow with some drifts reaching a foot or more deep here in Northwestern Indiana yesterday. Lake effect snows starting tonight, another 6"-10" by Friday morning.

Stay warm and safe Hoosiers!

eprn
02-14-2007, 21:01
We probably got about 4 or 5" of snow and 3/4" of ice, all covered by an additional 1-2" of snow all over again.

In summary: It sucks.

Trees are down everywhere.

9mm Luger
02-14-2007, 21:18
Yikes weather like that does suck, the ice just wreaks havoc everywhere and then to be covered by snow again oh dear. A big chore to clean up to say the least.

As if the storm wasn't enough you get trees down, man that stinks. Ah well I do treework for a living so I guess it keeps my fellow tree workers busy. :)

IPDBrad
02-15-2007, 09:28
The snow wasn't bad in Indy, 8 inches. What sucked was the freezing rain that cemented the snow that fell prior to it.

R. Emmelman
02-15-2007, 12:09
I was able to get out both days without much problem. Just had to watch out for the idiot drivers that think you can go as fast as normal.

Rich, Survivor of the "Blizzard of '78"

Revelations
02-15-2007, 12:55
Originally posted by 9mm Luger
How's the weather in your neighborhood? I heard the southern part of the state got hit pretty good with snow and ice.

We got 8"-10" of snow with some drifts reaching a foot or more deep here in Northwestern Indiana yesterday. Lake effect snows starting tonight, another 6"-10" by Friday morning.

Stay warm and safe Hoosiers!

"The Region" got hit pretty hard with this storm. Im still digging my driveway out. I had heard we were going to be getting some lake effect snow tonight. I hope it isint as much as the 6-10" they are predicting.

mpholic
02-15-2007, 14:34
Originally posted by IPDBrad
The snow wasn't bad in Indy, 8 inches.

Tell my back that 8 inches isn't bad. I've had all the shoveling I care to do this year.

nipperwolf
02-15-2007, 15:02
17" here in Lafayette.

then there's the drifts....

KSFreeman
02-15-2007, 15:24
We got wacked. Worst snow since I got snowed in for 3 days during the New Years Eve Storm of Decemeber 31, 1998. I didn't get snowed in this time (no drift in front of the garage, in '99 it was 7 feet high).

Courthouse was closed Tuesday and Wednesday. I got caught up, but not much business.

BTW, who told all those people that it was O.K. to snowmobile and ski down the streets??? I nearly ran over two guys on snowmobiles coming out of Jesco Hills off Union Street Tuesday.:shocked:

TLHelmer
02-15-2007, 15:41
In SW Indiana we have had no measurable amount of snow this winter. Knock on wood. My boys want some snow to play in, but it doesn't look likely.

JByer323
02-15-2007, 15:47
14"+ in Noblesville plus drifting, and I haven't been back to Bloomington yet, but I guess 2" and a ton of ice.

FThorn
02-15-2007, 16:50
Not sure why so deep, but my yard measured 14 - 17 " in spots. NOT in large drifts, either, which were deeper.

9mm Luger
02-15-2007, 20:36
Sounds like we all got hammered pretty good. First good snow storm I have seen in a while. Hopefully it will be done for a spell I am tired of plowing the drive and shoveling the walks.

IPDBrad
02-15-2007, 21:26
Originally posted by mpholic
Tell my back that 8 inches isn't bad. I've had all the shoveling I care to do this year.

A flamethrower is so much easier.:thumbsup:

cougar_guy04
02-15-2007, 22:32
Originally posted by eprn
We probably got about 4 or 5" of snow and 3/4" of ice, all covered by an additional 1-2" of snow all over again.

In summary: It sucks.
That sounds about like what we got. I went to try and get my car out of it's parking spot in the res hall lot today and to make a long story short, it's not moving a fraction of an inch until I can get an E-tool and some Ice-melt.

At least I won't have to swap another battery out in the heap this week. (Swapping batteries out at 10PM in a college parking lot with a S&W flashlight for light and negative wind chills is not fun!):shocked:

RF7126
02-16-2007, 12:17
Originally posted by cougar_guy04
That sounds about like what we got. I went to try and get my car out of it's parking spot in the res hall lot today and to make a long story short, it's not moving a fraction of an inch until I can get an E-tool and some Ice-melt.

At least I won't have to swap another battery out in the heap this week. (Swapping batteries out at 10PM in a college parking lot with a S&W flashlight for light and negative wind chills is not fun!):shocked:

You're in the same area as me, I can't believe how difficult it is to get rid of that ice. I already broke one shovel and I'm working on the next one. If you want some help, I can drive over to Rose, but I don't know how much success we'll have.

MikeG23
02-16-2007, 17:03
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
I was able to get out both days without much problem. Just had to watch out for the idiot drivers that think you can go as fast as normal.

Rich, Survivor of the "Blizzard of '78"

Actually I have been rather surprised this year, I was out everyday for work and the traffic was minimal.

People must have stayed home for the most part, I know that a lot of people called in to work and on tuesday there wasn't too many of us there. Those that did come in wanted to leave at midnight.

All in all I could probably list the idiot drivers that I saw on one hand.

TLHelmer
02-16-2007, 19:00
I had to go to Indy for work today. You guys have some snow, but I have seen more. My boys are excited. We are suppose to get a whole 2 inches of snow tonight.

cougar_guy04
02-16-2007, 19:01
Originally posted by RF7126
I already broke one shovel and I'm working on the next one. If you want some help, I can drive over to Rose, but I don't know how much success we'll have.
Probably wouldn't have done much good at all. The current "kill count" is 1 ice scraper and 1 camping shovel (the army should really talk to me about torture testing stuff).

I'm gonna grab my 3 roommates here in a bit and see if we can get the 4000lb cat out of it's icy berth. If not, well, I surrender. Anyone got a quad cab ram 4x4 for sale?

EDIT: Well, I got my car out. only cracked a center reflector on the taillight panel. I think I should quit while I'm behind.:shocked:

DCSO0322
02-20-2007, 22:36
Muncie area ended up with like 13" and tons of drifts. We had several on the front of our house over 5' tall. Have seen others over 6' it's been a mess.

epsylum
02-21-2007, 00:18
I just got back from driving to and back from upstate NY. I went to the area where my dad grew up. No wonder he thinks the snow storms here are a joke. The snow here is not bad at all by comparison. However, the snow removal by the city/state is god awful here by comparison. They even had the break down lanes plowed on Thurs. (with plows about twice as big as ours and have 3 seperate plow blades) up there. We drove around in snow and slush here in the morning and the mountain roads in northern PA and SW NY were clear even when the snow was still falling that same evening.

Re: driveway shoveling. My dad got a Troy Built snow blower last year. It has paid for itself this year. :thumbsup: