Advice for Proper Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Proper Ammo

wingz
02-14-2007, 20:14
Good day sirs. I recently joined the 1911 fad when i bought my first 1911 in a commander model last gunshow. Last time i posted, i asked for some inputs on what are the 3 must have basic mods for this gun, and to sum it up; most replies includes the sights replacement, springs replacement(recoil 14lbs/hammer 19 lbs/extra power firing pin), and trigger job of about 4lbs. I followed all 3 suggestions and when it was finished, I test fired the gun for 20 rounds of reloads (with new brasses from a reputable source) and the gun performed without any malfunction. Okay pati recoil, sweet. As i've read and heard, my spring set ups requires it to be paired with a compatible ammo which is not too heavy to avoid slide cycling problems and excessive slide-frame battering. Can you please give me sirs the right ammunition specs and brands na pwede kong ma test with this spring set up? Thanks po. :)

Django
02-14-2007, 21:07
Ammo for what purpose? Self-defense? Plinking? Competition?

wingz
02-14-2007, 21:26
Sa self defense and carry po Sir Django. Thanks.

isuzu
02-14-2007, 22:00
Originally posted by wingz
Sa self defense and carry po Sir Django. Thanks.

Since there is a likelihood that you will be using full-power ammo, stick to the stock springs. They were designed to handle full-power ammo.

wingz
02-14-2007, 22:30
Originally posted by isuzu
Since there is a likelihood that you will be using full-power ammo, stick to the stock springs. They were designed to handle full-power ammo.

That's my first plan sir isuzu but later opt for a lighter recoil spring to have a further brass ejection. Also, racking the slide is a bit too heavy sa original springs.

cebuboy
02-15-2007, 03:23
Check out Nashe, they sell Ranger T ammo for a good price:) I know many of you guys dont like to deal with them but hey, they are cheap. :)

Django
02-15-2007, 04:55
Personally, I prefer to use the Federal Premium Hydrashok Ammunition for my .45 pistols as my defense load. You can choose between the original 230 grs. (which packs a greater wallop) and the newer low recoil 165 grs. Corbons are also good but I've had some FTFs in my standard Norc with them. They pose no problems in my Para P14 and my Commander Norc though.

horge
02-15-2007, 05:41
Reloads can be anemic, propellant charge-wise.

Whatever ammo you choose, just make sure it's dead-solid reliable
in your pistol. I've never had a lot of luck with JHP's in any
commander-sized 1911's I've borrowed, although Remington's
Golden Sabers seem to produce the fewest problems feeding and
returning the slide to battery. Hornady XTP's seem to be the worst
for me.

Depends on your gun's ramp, breechface, magazine follower and
feed lips, I guess.

:)
horge

Eye Cutter
02-15-2007, 07:39
personal opinion ko lang ito, ha?

1. the ammo you choose, dapat reliable sa pistol mo. if ball is the only type that will feed reliably, stick with ball ammo.

2. if you can't handle full power loads, hindi ka rin tatama, you'll just flinch. get the ammo you're comfortable shooting kahit ba minor pero dead-on ka naman...

3. nothing beats range time, lots of it! the more you practice, the better you get, granting, tama ang technique mo ha?

now, get ready for the flak! hahaha!

:supergrin:

Django
02-15-2007, 08:11
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
personal opinion ko lang ito, ha?

1. the ammo you choose, dapat reliable sa pistol mo. if ball is the only type that will feed reliably, stick with ball ammo.

2. if you can't handle full power loads, hindi ka rin tatama, you'll just flinch. get the ammo you're comfortable shooting kahit ba minor pero dead-on ka naman...

3. nothing beats range time, lots of it! the more you practice, the better you get, granting, tama ang technique mo ha?

now, get ready for the flak! hahaha!

:supergrin:

Well said Doc. Especially No. 3. Nothing beats range time especially pag kasama mo si Pogi, Gundog, McO, 9mx, Judge, Saki and company. :supergrin:

HEAVY
02-15-2007, 08:44
".45 comes pre-expanded."

:) personally, i'm perfectly comfortable with carrying factory fmj .45acp.

it's very reliable and i hit well enough with it. and for me, that's all that matters really.

wingz
02-15-2007, 17:12
Thanks for the infos and insights sir. So with a 14lbs recoil spring and 19 lbs hammer spring, the option is open to whatever factory ammo that will feed reliably and obtain good group shots? Personally kasi Sirs i don't know the proper classification of ammos in terms of numbers or specs if its full-power/minor ammo. And since i am not that well familiar with the .45 recoil, i chose to feed my boomer with a lighter factory load. Basically, i need specs mga Sirs. TIA

Django
02-15-2007, 17:42
Just buy a box of Armscor FMJs. If they function well in your handgun, you can use them as your defense load meantime till you feel that you, your gun and your pocket are all ready to move on to JHPs. Branded and imported JHPs do not come cheap.

asian_glockster
02-15-2007, 17:54
I use RPA 230gr FMJ (RP Arsenal) for my 1911.

Eye Cutter
02-15-2007, 18:03
generally, major US ammo manufacturers provide the best defense loads. you just need to find out what your pistol likes the best and what you can shoot comfortably.

ammo selection and choice for defense loads is a beehive waiting to be stirred. kanya-kanyang opinion kasi sa topic na ito. some may agree, a lot more tend to disagree.

in the end, its a personal and your firearms' preference.

Django
02-15-2007, 18:35
Originally posted by asian_glockster
I use RPA 230gr FMJ (RP Arsenal) for my 1911.

Pretty good bullets in the FMJ category if you ask me.

I had around 200 rounds which I acquired in early 1977. I fired all of them last December 2006 and surprise: not a single one turned out to be a dud after almost 30 years!

wingz
02-18-2007, 21:29
Thanks Sirs, I'll start with the Armscor factory .45 FMJs. :thumbsup:

i_am_infinity
02-18-2007, 21:44
+1 on the hydrashock...i suggest go back to a 16lbs recoil spring which i use for my 45 and hydrashock or FMJ na RPA (Arsenal) or if u can still find some Winchester Blacktalon..the BEST!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wingz
02-18-2007, 23:06
Originally posted by i_am_infinity
+1 on the hydrashock...i suggest go back to a 16lbs recoil spring which i use for my 45 and hydrashock or FMJ na RPA (Arsenal) or if u can still find some Winchester Blacktalon..the BEST!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks bro. But is'nt the factory standard recoil spring for a commander model .45 is 18 lbs? Maybe what you're referring to is for a standard size .45 1911.

i_am_infinity
02-19-2007, 01:45
Originally posted by wingz
Thanks bro. But is'nt the factory standard recoil spring for a commander model .45 is 18 lbs? Maybe what you're referring to is for a standard size .45 1911.

U mentioned kasi that u were thinking of using 14lbs what i meant was go back up to 16 just to be safe ba...sorry for not being clear on that bro:supergrin:

wingz
02-19-2007, 02:18
Originally posted by i_am_infinity
U mentioned kasi that u were thinking of using 14lbs what i meant was go back up to 16 just to be safe ba...sorry for not being clear on that bro:supergrin:

Ok lang sir, i was thinking din nga na baka masyado ring mababa yung napili kong set up na 14lbs, (i already installed the springs). So far okay naman yung initial firing test, but i like to pound it with more ammo test para mas reliable ang result. But if this won't go smooth with the FMJs i might change it to 16lbs for comparison if the problem is with the ammo or the spring. Thanks.

charlie-xray
02-19-2007, 03:20
Gents,

Saan ba medyo mura ang Hydrashoks for my 40 cal and 9mm, medyo mahal kasi yung napagtanungan ko noon. In the range of 100+ petots each round.

wingz
02-19-2007, 03:45
Originally posted by charlie-xray
Gents,

Saan ba medyo mura ang Hydrashoks for my 40 cal and 9mm, medyo mahal kasi yung napagtanungan ko noon. In the range of 100+ petots each round.

Sir IIRC sa PB Dionisio P75 petot yung 9mm nung nagtanong ako.