View Full Version : Budsgunshop.com = genius

domzilla9
02-15-2007, 13:50
I just received the following messge from bud's via email

Hello Bud's Subscriber !

Let BudGunShop.com help sell your new or used gun in our all new
classifieds forum. We appreciate our customers and want to return
the favor by allowing you to advertise your own gun(s) in front
of thousands of prospective gun buyers for FREE.

If you have ever bought a gun(s) from us in the past, you should
already have a credit per gun purchased on your sellers account.
If you have not yet bought a gun from us, you can also advertise
on our website for just per ad. You can remove your classified
ad at any time, after the gun is sold, or the ad will expire
30 days after you post it.

Thank you and happy selling !

Your friends at BudsGunShop.com

Finally, a gunshop owner that understands the Internet. Wh000t!

Lwolfnky
02-22-2007, 08:44
The only problem is that their website is misleading. The inventory online is NOT what they have in the retail store. It is a completely different business. If you want something that is online, they have to order it and then add a couple of other fees which in turn no longer makes the price seem that great.

lordjim_2001
02-22-2007, 08:59
There is only the FTF fee that has to be paid if you pick up the gun at any other place than Bud's. If you place the order online and pick it up at Bud's they only charge you KY sales tax. I don't see how this is misleading. Maybe I'm reading things wrong....

Originally posted by at budsgunshop.com
You may choose Buds Gun Shop in Paris, KY as your FFL dealer. Buds Gun Shop retail store DOES NOT charge customers for trasferring a firearm in the store. However, all in-store pick-ups will be subject to the 6% Kentucky state sales tax.

Rhandhali
02-22-2007, 09:01
Originally posted by lordjim_2001
There is only the FTF fee that has to be paid if you pick up the gun at any other place than Bud's. If you place the order online and pick it up at Bud's they only charge you KY sales tax. I don't see how this is misleading. Maybe I'm reading things wrong....

I'm confused, they told me on the phone that they'd charge $25.00 for the NICS check.

lordjim_2001
02-22-2007, 09:08
Originally posted by Rhandhali
I'm confused, they told me on the phone that they'd charge $25.00 for the NICS check.

How long ago was this? I know that this used to be included in the "If you use Buds as your FFL" deal but I thought they discontinued this practice. Me thinks this warrants more sleuthing.

Rhandhali
02-22-2007, 09:13
Originally posted by lordjim_2001
How long ago was this? I know that this used to be included in the "If you use Buds as your FFL" deal but I thought they discontinued this practice. Me thinks this warrants more sleuthing.

It was this Monday, I believe.

Lwolfnky
02-22-2007, 09:41
I just know that last week I went in their shop because i saw some good prices on a couple of guns online. Now, I didn't read anything online saying that their inventory was not what they had in the store. But when I got there, I asked where some of the guns I had seen online were, the guy told me that they did not have those guns in stock, they said they would have to order it from their distributor. They said they could get the guns to me in about a week and that I would have to pay for shipping and something else. Either way, the $465 dollar gun would then be $499. The same as anywhere else.

The guy also said that he was told Bud that they needed to change the name of the website store just for that reason.

I ended up purchasing a G34 anyway from them because they had a "used" one that I picked up for $475 OTD. The gun looked like it had never been out of the box before. I thoroughly checked it out.

I had never used Bud's before, I did like my experience with them. Just thought the website was misleading. The employee agreed with me.

GlockRik
02-22-2007, 14:08
If I order a gun from them online, I also have to pay for shipping. I see what you are saying but I can still pay shipping and my FFL and save a pretty good chunk on some of their guns, You would also have to pay sales tax, so that's probably a minimum of $40.00 and it's starting to not look like such a sweet deal.

Rik

domzilla9
02-22-2007, 16:34
Originally posted by Lwolfnky
The only problem is that their website is misleading. The inventory online is NOT what they have in the retail store. It is a completely different business. If you want something that is online, they have to order it and then add a couple of other fees which in turn no longer makes the price seem that great.

What part about the following text, copied from the website, is misleading?

The Buds Gun Shop retail store and BudsGunShop.com website are two seperate entities with different inventories and prices. To check price and availability of an item in the retail store, please call 859-987-8261.

I would agree if you said that they should have named the website something other than "budsgunshop.com", but there is nothing about the website that is misleading, assuming that the customer can actually read English.

Add the fees that they describe to their selling price on a new colt and tell me if you can buy it anywhere at that price.

Lwolfnky
02-23-2007, 10:50
Well, I can tell you. IF you see an advertisement price, and it looks too good to be true, then it is. You are right, I did not read all of the disclaimers at the bottom of the home page. I went straight to the handgun prices and thought they LOOKED good. Like I said, we went to their shop based upon the prices we saw on the sight.

MISLEADING

Nuff' said

And yes, come to Gilbert's in Frankfort, they have the same kind of prices that Bud's has.

domzilla9
02-23-2007, 10:58
They should have named the website something other than budsgunshop.com. Or they should rename their brick-and-mortar store.

I've heard great things about Gilberts. Will have to stop in there one day.

mike55
03-06-2007, 20:39
The disclaimer that the store and online service are two different entities is plainlt posted. I have bought 7 handguns from them over the past 3 years, all from in stroe stock. When adding shipping fees to the internet prices the purchases I have made have been very close to the internet price. I have even done some trading with them and didn't feel raped like you would expect when sellinf to a store. I always shop the internet and then call the store to check availability and price. That way there are no surprises.

BTW, I have done some business with Gilberts also. We are lucky to have these two stores so close.

mike

openrange
03-15-2007, 10:33
At the risk of sounding like a business cry baby....

Yes he has great prices usually. Yes you could save money, but at what risk to the value of your firearms?

Do you realize he sells guns at times for less money than wholesale? At first this sounds great but...

WHAT THIS DOES IS CHEAPEN ALL GUN PRICES. YOURS TOO.

Example: You bought a new XLwhatever for $829 at Buds. Then he decides to put the same model on the internet later for cost - $675 because he needs money for whatever.

YOUR GUN JUST LOST VALUE. You're basically screwing yourself by lowering the market price for guns.

We price our firearms fairly. We also provide a free hour of range time, and as a Certified Instructor with the best range in Ky we are your partner in your purchase. If something is wrong we are there to help. We also help retain a fair value for all firearms. This is a service for you the consumer.

God Bless Bud and I hope he gets really really rich! Just don't forget at what cost there is to you down the road. Instant gratification is great, yet what is your true cost?

Barry @ Openrange.

domzilla9
03-15-2007, 11:04
:arg:

Barry,

Exactly how is it possible that he sells guns at "less than wholesale"? His price may be less than what your wholesale distributor's cost is, but obviously it's not less than *his* cost or he wouldn't be making money. And, by all accounts, Bud's is making money.

Typing in all caps is not the proper way to create emphasis in a forum or in an email. It's bad netiquette and is basically received as shouting.

I've seen your prices and I won't dispute the fairness of them. I will say that they're a higher than I would be willing to pay on new pistols and rifles. But then, I am a price oriented shopper and not a convenience shopper. Paying more for something doesn't make it worth more to me.

Buying a new gun at a discounted price doesn't devalue it or the other guns in your collection or other peoples guns. Bud's is not tantamount to Walmart.
:arg:

openrange
03-15-2007, 11:32
Bud makes money no doubt. He can afford to sell less than or at wholesale when he needs to clear a shelf and raise cash. Its part of doing business yet when you do sell that way on a contemporary available item it does devalue that item in the market (vs last year models, close outs etc...).

Its probably hard to realize as a consumer cause your goal as a consumer is to pay the least possible and the instant purchase is more exciting than the long term effect to another business.

And yes, in my eyes, Bud is the firearms equivalent to Walmart. On top of that he's selling items that are somewhat unique for Walmart prices. One of the buffers of gun shops is that Walmart doesn't sell premium guns, so gun shops can keep their boutique air. (Although I have lost longun sales to Walmart cause they can special order for so cheap...)

Along comes the internet with gunbroker and Buds and zammo, gun shops will go out of business.

Nothing wrong with that as long as we are all aware of the consequences of Walmarts and the net.

And thanks for the netiquette reminder. This topic gets me a little HOT (couldnt resist)...

Cheers....

garand4u
03-15-2007, 13:52
I also like to shop for a "Deal" and have not had a chance to check out Open Range or your pricing so this is not directed at you by any means. Actually it is great to have another range in the area.

Bud's Gun Shop has been getting a lot of press lately for his prices, but he has been around for a good while and must be making money. There was a similar complaint on low gun prices a while back on Whittaker Guns. Whittaker's in Owensboro would have Benelli shotguns prices almost $100 under wholesale so I am told. I asked Darrell Whittaker how he could sell so low and he said that the volume he bought in helped keep his prices low.
Apparently there are bigger discounts / rebates from wholesalers or manufactures when you buy $$$$$$ worth of guns at a time.

As for Buds, in one case the Smith & Wesson M&P was selling for $369. He was apparently buying so many Smith guns they were giving him some for free so he reduced his price on all of them while figuring in the free guns.

Yes, Bud's has hurt the Lexington Gun Market for sure, I know Fayette Firearms tried to compete and could not. I think the new Sportsmen's Warehouse will give Bud a run for his money though.
Bud's is not the best place to do trading. Shops like Classic, A&M, or Evans will probably give you more for used ones.

Now the question on hurting the overall gun market????

Well, the folks on boards such as Glock talk probably have a good idea on what things go for, but the "Average Joe" many times does not. One example on how the Gun shop off LaGrange road stays in business. Example of people not knowing your prices.

I bought an M&P for $369 and if you look in the Firearm section I could probably still get $450 for it. One reason is that they are still around $500 in many places. Some people buy a gun and don't plan to sell them, so I don't buy the losing value argument, guns are not as unstable as Stocks.

Also with the net if you buy something cheap at Buds you can get on here or similar site and trade for something different and lot lose your shirt even with transfer / shipping fees.

I try to stop in at Bud's at least every other month or so if not to buy something, but at least look around.

Bud's has GREAT prices and Friendly service.

Signed....
Bud Fan

fryeg7
03-15-2007, 16:10
note: i have never been to openrange and this post is not directed directly at barry.

this is america (or used to be . . . .), and capitalism is king.

if a business can't compete with another business in pricing, they'd better beat them in service and other areas of customer relations. if they can't do that either, then "tough titty, said the kitty . . . ."

it's a free market. if you can't cut the mustard in a free market, than perhaps you shouldn't be in business.

sure, bud's has good prices, but their reputation isn't the greatest. bud's is cheap because of the volume of the business. but there is a lot to be said for good customer relations . . . .

if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. the internet is not going away. hop on or get left behind.

frye

openrange
03-15-2007, 17:15
Freyg7, you gotta come on down and visit you'll dig what we have to offer... Of course I agree with Capitalism.

I also believe salesmanship and service are the highways that drive Capitalism.

Openrange is based on being a world class destination, not a discount store. We are catering to those who want an experience, not simply a price.

Buds is catering to price and volume. That is his model and he's good at it.

I don't need to beat him or join him. There is room for all of us if we are good at what we do.

fryeg7
03-15-2007, 18:40
i'm definitely going to make it out to see your shop and range, barry. i've heard nothing but good things.

i kinda figured from other's comments that your place is top-notch and was set-up to be that way. this is kinda the point i was making in earlier post, service and quality is every bit as important as price.

the only good comments i've heard about bud's is large inventory and good prices. you don't hear much about the service.

frye

moreammoplz
03-16-2007, 09:44
I have bought a few guns from Buds and had great service. Several times, Bud himself was the one waiting on me.

His safe guy also delivered a 900 lb safe to my house and took it down the basement stairs for $250 with only two guys. The other moving companies wanted $300-$350 and I had to have 5 guys on hand to help. Bud used a special dolly that did most of the work so it was a piece of cake.

I feel they treated me great and I got a good deal also.

Also, +1 on Whittakers, wow what a shop. I wish he wasn't over 2 hours away.

Sorry, haven't made it up to Open Range.... YET.....

nmk
05-27-2007, 15:44
Sorry to bring back an old thread. Last year I purchased two guns from Bud's - a Beretta 92FS and a Savage 12FV in .308. Prior to the purchase of the first I emailed them and asked if I could get the online price in the store if they had the item there. I was told yes, but I may have to pay a $20 fee or something plus sales tax - obviously. When I got there, the guy behind the counter said he needed to verify the online price. When he came back out he said the online prices I told him were correct and he would not charge the "transfer" fee. I did pay sales tax. In the end, a great deal even if you pick something up from the store. Just do what the website says - call before you go there to check availability. I will not hesitate to buy more guns from him.

I will have to check out that place in Frankfort. I don't suppose they have a website?

Mwildt
05-28-2007, 09:44
www.GilbertsGuns.com