Got my carry permit today! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got my carry permit today!


Harleyreb1
02-15-2007, 19:07
They sure don't get in a hurry to mail it to ya! Now I'm legal!!!!

SnakeEyes
02-15-2007, 22:04
How long did it take to come in?

jackwagnerusmc
02-15-2007, 23:47
Now you can carry legal!!!

NRA_guy
02-16-2007, 05:36
Yep. The law allows them 120 days to issue the permit and they take great pride in doing so. They time it so you get it on the 120th day if they can. Not the 118th; not the 119th.

The good news is that renewals do not suffer this problem.

45-9-101. License to carry concealed pistol or revolver.

(c) The Department of Public Safety shall, within one hundred twenty (120) days after the date of receipt of the items listed in subsection (5) of this section:

(i) Issue the license; or

(ii) Deny the application based solely on the ground that the applicant fails to qualify

Harleyreb1
02-16-2007, 08:50
Funny thing is they print it right in front of you and just hold it!!!

MidnightJMC
02-16-2007, 16:39
Originally posted by Harleyreb1
Funny thing is they print it right in front of you and just hold it!!!

I kind of thought they did that...I did mine a few weeks ago and they stressed the fact that it would be at the bare minimum 120 days before I received it...

NoloContendere
02-16-2007, 17:40
Originally posted by MidnightJMC
I kind of thought they did that...I did mine a few weeks ago and they stressed the fact that it would be at the bare minimum 120 days before I received it...

My friends permit took close to 270 days for him to get. I advised a complaint, and he said no. Stay tuned for changes to this law. I'm going to be working with some Senators this summer in order to revamp our gunlaws, and try to get MS to provide out of state permits as well for revenue.

nc

NRA_guy
02-18-2007, 06:52
Originally posted by Harleyreb1
Funny thing is they print it right in front of you and just hold it!!! I believe that they send an inquiry to your local county sheriff and possibly others.

In theory the 120 days is to allow time for response to their inquiry.

If they don't hear back on their inquiry, they issue the permit.

WileyG27
02-18-2007, 17:18
Congrats!

Now go get some nachos at Wally World!

nothing
03-07-2007, 13:58
Originally posted by NRA_guy
I believe that they send an inquiry to your local county sheriff and possibly others.

In theory the 120 days is to allow time for response to their inquiry.

If they don't hear back on their inquiry, they issue the permit.

So how do they justify giving Melton his permit in 7 days? I'm in the 120 day on the dot group as well.

NRA_guy
03-08-2007, 06:23
Originally posted by nothing
So how do they justify giving Melton his permit in 7 days? I'm in the 120 day on the dot group as well. As they say, "Rank has priviledge" and Melton is about as rank as they come.

Seriously, I know lots of people who have permits and every single one had the 120-day delay before they received them.

I didn't know Melton got his faster. Somebody high up must have liked him and pushed his through.

Still, I would not swap places with him right now.

Somebody high up does NOT like him.

Seabee71
03-29-2007, 19:30
When I applied for mine, I called them and informed them on or about the 90 day mark that I was deploying to Africa on short notice. I didnt want my permit sitting in a mailbox for 6 months. They sent it to me that week. The 120 days is the norm. They were nice for doing that for me. Congrats on the permit.

We should road trip to Florida as a group and do electronic prints for non-resident permits. My roomate went to Pensacola, did his electronic prints, came home noterized his app, mailed it and had his in under 2 weeks!

OXCOPS
03-29-2007, 22:07
Originally posted by nothing
So how do they justify giving Melton his permit in 7 days? I'm in the 120 day on the dot group as well.


He blew the Commissioner.

I must be living alot better than you guys. I got mine in 117 days! :banana: Renewal was on the spot, but had to drive to the nearest MHP substation, which sucked because the hours for processing permits were kinda thin.

NoloContendere
03-30-2007, 07:44
Originally posted by OXCOPS
He blew the Commissioner.



oh man.. that's funny!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl:

sNaKeYeZ
04-01-2007, 20:33
I'm interested in obtaining my CCW permit. I have read about the process, but I'm concerned parts of it may be a hassle. Could anyone go through the process here for me in detail to give me an idea of how it goes here in Mississippi?

Having my CCW permit is something that I probably would never be asked to show, but something that I'd like to have because of what it stands for.

Seabee71
04-02-2007, 16:28
Go here

http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.nsf/divpages/hp2firearm?OpenDocument

Download it send in $127 and wait 120 days.....easy

MidnightJMC
04-02-2007, 17:21
it's pretty hassle free other than the wait..

print form
fill out
get notarized
get fingerprinted
take to dl station with money and proper id

NRA_guy
04-02-2007, 18:43
Go to the Firearm Permits Unit link on the left.

LINK (http://www.mississippi.gov/frameset.jsp?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dps.state.ms.us%2Fdps%2Fdps.nsf%2Fmain%3FOpenForm)

Then see the FAQ and Individual Permit links on that page.

Can't mail it in; you have to go there to get your picture taken and to get fingerprinted.

Funny thing: I renewed my driver's license recently and it came with my carry permit photo on my new drivers license.

OXCOPS
04-02-2007, 20:36
Originally posted by MidnightJMC

take to dl station with money and proper id


You have to go to a MHP substation. They don't process the permits at a DL office, since an MHP trooper or investigator has to take your prints.

sNaKeYeZ
04-02-2007, 21:58
Thanks guys. So you can completely fill out the form, then carry it to the proper station, where THEY will take your picture and THEY will fingerprint you, and you hand them the $127 and notarized forms, and then wait 120+ days?

OXCOPS
04-02-2007, 22:25
Originally posted by sNaKeYeZ
Thanks guys. So you can completely fill out the form, then carry it to the proper station, where THEY will take your picture and THEY will fingerprint you, and you hand them the $127 and notarized forms, and then wait 120+ days?

That's all there is to it. Call them first to see what hours they process permits. Some don't do it all the time.

NRA_guy
04-03-2007, 05:38
Also, just to avoid hassle, take the exact cash.

I was advised that (in Jackson) they don't make change, and they don't take checks or credit cards.

Not sure if that is correct. I did not verify that.

The folks were very nice.

Renewals are even easier.

sNaKeYeZ
04-03-2007, 06:18
Yeah, I noted on the law that it said only cashier's check or cash.

NoloContendere
04-03-2007, 07:07
Originally posted by sNaKeYeZ
Yeah, I noted on the law that it said only cashier's check or cash.

that's so weird to me. why can't i write a check!? if i'm stupid enough to write a check to DPS that bounces, they already have:

1. fingerprints
2. picture
3. address
4. bank account info

this just seems like the last place to write a bad check. oh well.

nc

MidnightJMC
04-03-2007, 16:33
Originally posted by OXCOPS
You have to go to a MHP substation. They don't process the permits at a DL office, since an MHP trooper or investigator has to take your prints.

right...luckily here, they're right across the street from each other...

I went to the dl station, made sure the line was not crazy long and out of control, went across the street and got fingerprinted, went back across the street and stood in line for a few minutes, turned in app and got photo'd.

OXCOPS
04-03-2007, 22:49
Originally posted by MidnightJMC
right...luckily here, they're right across the street from each other...

I went to the dl station, made sure the line was not crazy long and out of control, went across the street and got fingerprinted, went back across the street and stood in line for a few minutes, turned in app and got photo'd.


Batesville finally put then in the same ROOM! However, since they don't have investigators in the office all the time, they only process permits during certain hours on certain days. While the chick behind the counter can do all the paperwork, they can't (or are not supposed to) do your prints.

Shooters Plus
04-04-2007, 11:41
I've never understood the fingerprinting on the renewal. Can your fingerprints actually change? :upeyes:

OXCOPS
04-04-2007, 12:29
Originally posted by uncle z
I've never understood the fingerprinting on the renewal. Can your fingerprints actually change? :upeyes:

Your prints do not change, but your eligibility to be a permit holder can. Your prints are checked by the FBI. They will not check prints that are six months old, or older.

NRA_guy
04-04-2007, 15:59
Originally posted by uncle z
I've never understood the fingerprinting on the renewal. Can your fingerprints actually change? :upeyes: I don't remember being re-printed upon renewal.

Of course, I have a bad case of CRS.

MidnightJMC
04-06-2007, 10:30
Originally posted by NRA_guy
I don't remember being re-printed upon renewal.

Of course, I have a bad case of CRS.

They guy in line in front of me had to get fingerprinted for renewal. He said it was because he was renewing past his expiration time.

Shooters Plus
04-06-2007, 10:45
Mine was being renewed BEFORE the expiration and they still fingerprinted me.

Actually I think vehicles are more dangerous than guns so therefore if their gonna re-fingerprint then they should make everyone have to re-take the driving test before renewing everyones drivers license :)