Student stabbed at MSU cafeteria [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Student stabbed at MSU cafeteria

David_G17
02-15-2007, 19:16
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770215019

Student stabbed at MSU cafeteria
The Associated Press

STARKVILLE ó A 20-year-old Mississippi State student has been suspended from school and faces a court appearance following a stabbing at Perry Cafeteria on the university campus.

The wounded student was treated at a local hospital and released, officials said.

MSU Police Chief Georgia Lindley said Lonnie Charles Ball, 20, of Tylertown, was arrested by his officers on charges of aggravated assault after he allegedly stabbed the other student following an altercation the two had in the cafeteria earlier this week.

University officials would not release the name of the victim, according to www.cdispatch.com.

Ball, a junior education major, was suspended from the university and removed from campus housing. His status with MSU is pending a hearing with the universityís student affairs.

Officials said Ball would also be required to appear in Oktibbeha County Justice Court for the aggravated assault charges.

NRA_guy
02-16-2007, 04:14
Yeah. I was wondering if he used a MSU cafeteria knife. Might have to ban those things and give them plastic eating utensils.

I was surprised that nobody pulled out an Uzi or at least a Tec-9. Probably left them in their dorm room.

lumberjack
02-16-2007, 10:00
Originally posted by NRA_guy
I was surprised that nobody pulled out an Uzi or at least a Tec-9. Probably left them in their dorm room.

Or they didn't like the person that got stabbed, or at least liked the staber more than the stabee.

NRA_guy
02-18-2007, 05:44
I'm guessing that it was either (a) over drugs, or (b) over a woman, or (c) both.

Most likely (c).

As David_G17 can attest, you should walk through a freshman dorm at MSU one Saturday night around 11:30 p.m. Ride up the elevator and walk down some halls.

The University Housing Administrator is afraid to do it. He told me personally that he NEVER goes into the dorms. He pawns it off onto student RAs who are never in the dorm and have no power or desire to straighten the situation out.

It's illegal, but you would not want to go up into the dorm late at night without some "personal protection".

You would not believe how behavior on campus has been allowed to deteriorate.

lumberjack
02-18-2007, 17:57
Originally posted by NRA_guy
It's illegal, but you would not want to go up into the dorm late at night without some "personal protection".

You would not believe how behavior on campus has been allowed to deteriorate.

I lived in the ******iest of dorms at State, yet I felt fine. The worst thing was them staying up till the wee hours of the morning making a hellatious amount of noise. I told them they would wake up when I woke up if the kept it up, they shrugged it off. After about a week of waking up at 0430 and again at 0715 they respected my desire to sleep a bit more.

Generally I am exempt from people messing with me, being 6'1" 250ish lbs has its perks, plus spiffy camo uniforms with my name on my breast pocket complete with funny boots.

NRA_guy
02-21-2007, 04:39
Originally posted by lumberjack
I lived in the ******iest of dorms at State, yet I felt fine. The worst thing was them staying up till the wee hours of the morning making a hellatious amount of noise. I told them they would wake up when I woke up if the kept it up, they shrugged it off. After about a week of waking up at 0430 and again at 0715 they respected my desire to sleep a bit more.

Generally I am exempt from people messing with me, being 6'1" 250ish lbs has its perks, plus spiffy camo uniforms with my name on my breast pocket complete with funny boots. What year was that, lumberjack? I graduated there in 1969 (engineering) and wanted my son to do the same. My memories were all great!

But things had changed since 1969.

My son had to be "extricated" from a situation in the middle of the night a few years ago. He would not back down and he was the only white guy left on his hall near the end of the second semester. One very large, very obnoxious black guy targeted him for abuse.

It came to a head around 1:30 one night with said big guy trying to break down the dorm door to my son's room threatening to kill my son.

Fortunately for both, he was unable to break the door down. Big guy would have eaten about 10 rounds from a G17 and my son's education would have taken a serious turn for the worse.

Starkville PD and campus cops eventually responded, but did nothing. (My son had put away the G17 before opening the door.)

We just moved him. That's not the education I wanted him to get.

lumberjack
02-21-2007, 08:26
04-05

Critz was (and likely is) the ******iest dorm on the campus, excluding the way Suttle looks, but I don't believe its as bad. (would rather live in Critz though, Suttle is one old arse building that leaves you exposed when walking to your room.

There was 2 people in my dorm that weren't a total waste of DNA, my roomy and I (both ROTC Cadets). There was 3 other white dudes, 1 was the RA. The RA was a spineless prick who needs to get his ass kicked. He never bothered me (tried to be buddy buddy) until it was time for me to check out, he stuck me with a fine $25 bucks I think, for not filling out some bull **** paper work. (feel strongly about my memories from Critz if you can't tell).

They never got physical with us, just loud, annoying and smelly.

The doors weren't the most secure thing, I'd assume ole buddy was trying to get a rise out of your son. I could easily gain entry into any dorm I have been in (are mainly female).

Nope, I don't miss Critz!

swatmed4
02-21-2007, 10:12
I was in Suttle when I was there for about a year. I hated dorms and RA's. Both were a pain in the ****. Got a apartment and loved it. It was a shame that the Campus PD was bunch of worthless but kissers. But just look at the liberals who run our Colleges. I also went to Delta State and it is no different there.

NRA_guy
02-22-2007, 04:29
Son's incident was in Cresswell, I believe. They built Cresswell and Hawthorne for women back in the 1960s when I was there.

Here's the way the university does housing:

They build women's dorms, then they do NO maintenance at all ever.

After about 20 or 30 years the dorms are so bad women won't live in them.

Then they "convert" them to men's dorms and let the guys finish them off.

Then they close them and renovate them and move women back in.

Cresswell and Hawthorne were both freshman men's dorms when my son was there: looked like a war zone. Ceiling tiles missing everywhere, graffiti on the walls and carpet, elevator ceilings torn out and push buttons broken out, shower stalls torn up, etc.

People who can afford to do so live off campus in apartments and trailers and fraternity houses.

The only folks who stay in dorms are the 3rd world folks and the folks whose families buy all their stuff at dollar stores because they don't want to get dressed up enough to go to Walmart.

I also enrolled kids into Ole Miss and NLU (in Monroe, Louisiana) about the same time and their dorms were about the same as those at Mississippi State. I concluded that it is a southern public university phenomena.

I was at MSU from 1965 to 1969. I stayed in Hull Dorm (nice but rustic and not air conditioned) until they closed it and moved us into Suttle. We thought Suttle was the cat's meow.

lumberjack
02-22-2007, 22:06
Cresswell when I was last there (fall 05) was an upper classman female dorm, not bad at all inside. (Best my memory serves that was Cresswell)

David_G17
02-24-2007, 07:22
Originally posted by lumberjack
Cresswell when I was last there (fall 05) was an upper classman female dorm, not bad at all inside. (Best my memory serves that was Cresswell)

I was in it the last year before they tore out the insides and rebuilt it.

Deandre Davis was my next door neighbor:
http://www.mssc.state.ms.us/Images/OPINIONS/CO22184.PDF

He tried to break down my door screaming about how he wanted to kill me (he heard me earlier when I told the cops that I thought it might be him who stole my laptop).

The cops told me they had been to my hall of my dorm more times that year than everywhere else on campus combined.

eta: I personally know of at least 5 guns various people had on that hall.

sNaKeYeZ
04-01-2007, 20:52
Aww c'mon guys, it wasn't nearly that bad for me! I lived in Macarthur Hall in 1996 (last year it was open, first year it had been open in decades?), then a summer in Suttle and the remainder of my years in Evans Hall. I suppose the advantage Evans Hall had was that it is 4 room suite type rooms instead of one long hallway.

Sure, my room was broken into over Easter holiday in 1998, and everything my roommate and I had was stolen (even his clothes, he was skinny). But most all of it was retrieved when the guilty guys were carrying all our stuff from their room down to their car...kind of an odd sight in the middle of the semester in the middle of the day, too.

But, as far as fearing for my life, I never felt that way at all. The people I recall causing trouble got what they deserved in the end.

Of course, I did love Evans Hall.

NRA_guy
04-02-2007, 05:02
Yeah, Evans was good.

I stayed in Hull (section C next to the Chapel of Memories---I still hear the chimes in my head every hour.) No air conditioning; no doors on the bathrooms; no seats on the toilets. But I loved that dorm. It was close to everything.

They threw us out to fill up the new Suttle dorm.

I also stayed in some others a few semesters.

But believe me, the freshman dorms are a whole lots different now than they were just a few years ago. And not just at MSU. It is a society evolution thing---just like the evolution in who lives downtown in big cities.

sNaKeYeZ
04-02-2007, 06:18
Hey NRA_guy, would you believe that I only got to hear the Chapel of Memories hourly dings my freshman year in 1996? The president at that time (won't mention names) really let campus go. The campus now is in MUCH better shape.

If it'll make you feel better, Suttle is the next dorm to be demolished (that is if it hasn't been already, or unless they changed their minds).

In 1968, Suttle Hall, foreground, opened as MSUís
second high-rise residence for men. The nine-story structure
anchored the west end of a Barr Avenue block that held seven-
story Hamlin Hall, at right, also a menís facility completed at
the east end two years earlier. After nearly four decades of
housing service, an aging Hamlin was demolished earlier this
year. The same fate is planned for Suttle in 2006.

NRA_guy
04-02-2007, 18:31
It's a shame they don't maintain buildings at MSU. No reason a dorm only 40 or 50 years old should be demolished. I visit other schools like Dartmouth, and they have buildings dating back to the 1800's.

The concept at MSU is "do no maintenance at all, and replace them every 50 years or so."

My brother was in the Circle Dorms. They were thrown up quickly after Old Main burned just to get the guys into shelter. (I heard some wild Old Main stories, but the Union was there by the time I arrived.)

Butler was a men's dorm back then.

Freshmen were in the boomerrang dorms in those days.

Hamlin was pretty new.

Sessums and Mcgee were men's dorms back then.

Evans mostly housed tennis and track athletes but not football, baseball or basketball players. (They were in Magnolia.)

The anti-war, dope smoking hippies lived upstairs in the Y.

Some girls lived in Magruder (next to the Y.) The rest were way across campus safe from guys.

Back then, Lee Hall was all the Admin offices, but the 3rd floor of Lee Hall was the dreaded math depatrment.

sNaKeYeZ
04-02-2007, 21:55
NRA_guy, I think they are/were demolishing Suttle because the design isn't safe nor up to snuff on codes. The open balcony design of Suttle has been despised by many for a long time. Also, the cruddy elevators are a pain. I know one of the other dorms was torn down mostly because of the elevator system.

The poor pizza delivery guys quit coming to Suttle because of the crap thrown onto their cars due to those open balconies. :(

NRA_guy
04-03-2007, 05:44
Originally posted by sNaKeYeZ
NRA_guy, I think they are/were demolishing Suttle because the design isn't safe nor up to snuff on codes. The open balcony design of Suttle has been despised by many for a long time. Also, the cruddy elevators are a pain. I know one of the other dorms was torn down mostly because of the elevator system.

The poor pizza delivery guys quit coming to Suttle because of the crap thrown onto their cars due to those open balconies. :( Yep. I could see that with today's kids.

When I was in Suttle, super balls were new. And I personally took one up to the top floor (what was it 7 floors?) and with several friends dropped it onto the parking lot. It bounced back up to the 5th floor on the first bounce and kept bouncing for a long time. (Did not hit any cars. Nobody stayed on campus on weekends except engineering students and foreign students.)

Oh, and some guy threw a chain out the back window down onto some high voltage power lines below. Turned out every light on campus and there was a brief effort to stage a panty raid. They expelled the guy.

Glock666
04-07-2007, 00:43
Judging by all of the hidden "seperation is best 'innuendo'" that I have read on this post, I give thanks and praises that I live in the North. George Wallace is a faded memory, people....

NRA_guy
04-07-2007, 14:23
Originally posted by Glock666
Judging by all of the hidden "seperation is best 'innuendo'" that I have read on this post, I give thanks and praises that I live in the North. George Wallace is a faded memory, people.... Hmmm. Not sure what you mean but I have spent quite a bit of time around Yankeeland and out West.

I can tell you for sure that schools and housing in the South is way, way more racially integrated than most places in the North or Midwest.

Want proof? Find a few public high school yearbooks from the North, the Midwest, and the Deep South and thumb through the pictures. You'll see what I mean.

PS: Geo. Wallace made nice with black folks before he died. All along he was nothing but another opportunistic politician. I don't know of anybody (black or white) who thinks highly of him.