Jim Zumbo and Outdoor life == Anti-Gun. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jim Zumbo and Outdoor life == Anti-Gun.

ColGlock
02-18-2007, 13:32
OK I know it has been posted other places by now, but I wanted to make sure that people here saw it too.

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html#comment-60837890

Assault Rifles For Hunters?

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.

Contact info:

# Letter to the Editors of Outdoor Life Online
webmaster@outdoorlife.com

# Letter to the Editors of Outdoor Life Magazine:
olletters@time4.com

# Report technical problems with Outdoor Life Online
webmaster@outdoorlife.com

# Advertise on Outdoor Life Online
elizabeth.burnham@time4.com

# To Advertise in Outdoor Life Magazine email the address closest to you:

# New York - ashley.rosenfeld@time4.com
# California - amanda.gastelum@time4.com
# Illinois - kristen.baumgarten@time4.com
# Outdoor Life Public Relations
amanda.mcnally@time4.com

degoodman
02-18-2007, 14:11
I hate this crap.

I don't understand why many folks have to lump so many things together. On one hand, I own many of these dreaded "assault weapons" and find them fun and enjoyable to shoot. I use them in more than one form of competetion, and might have one or two set up for home defense.

However I'm also in the camp that believes that they are not appropriate for hunting, and generally don't have a place in the hunting field for reasons of game conservation and hunting ethics. Semiautomatic firearms give a tremendous advantage to the hunter, both in terms of the number of rounds he can deliver on target, and the rate he can deliver that fire. I'm firmly in the camp that believes that hunting should require the skillful delivery of a single round, and if the hunter fails, the animal wins and gets to live another day. Semiautomatic weapons, whether they wear pretty wood or black plastic, run contrary to this.

Me, I'm not a big fan of .50 BMG rifles. Don't think they should be banned, but I don't have a use for one and for practical reasons, using one around here is problematic because of our excessively flat land with no natural backstops. Don't know why others can't get on board with that same mode of thinking with black rifles. If you don't like them, don't buy them, but don't say that I shouldn't be allowed to either.

JSK333
02-19-2007, 15:42
It's nothing more than typical prejudice, i.e., equating behavior of something with a particular distinguishing characteristic with everyone/thing that has the same characteristic (i.e., some terrorists use these weapons, therefore all that use the weapons should be viewed as terrorists).

He most likely doesn't mean to do so, but he also just lumped the US Army into the group of "terrorists," since they use the M16, full-auto version of the AR15.

ColGlock
02-19-2007, 16:03
Weel Remington gave him the boot... heck I was impressed that the CEO of Remington was personally responding to the emails, (as attested by spelling and grammer typos.)

Gerber however does not cut it, here is their canned response:

Following Jim Zumbo’s recent comments, those of us at Gerber would like to clarify that we respect the opinion of our sponsored hunters and users however, we do not necessarily agree with all their opinions, nor do we endorse their public statements. Our presence and development in the tactical and hunting markets is proof-positive we are committed to supporting these industries and all those involved.

Since Jim’s blog was published he has issued this apology: http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/i_was_wrong_big.html.

Thanks for supporting our rights and for supporting Gerber Legendary Blades.

Jason Kintzler

Senior Communications Manager

and my response to them:
Not good enough.

I will no longer buy any more Gerber knives. SOG and Cold Steel will be getting my business from now on.

IF you want to see how a REAL response should be, look at Remington.

anyplainjoe
02-20-2007, 10:12
Where do we find Remington's response?

degoodman
02-20-2007, 11:47
Try http://www.remington.com They put the link to their response rightup top on their entry page.

Kudos to Remington. Way to show them stones.

anyplainjoe
02-20-2007, 12:32
From Remington's website:

Remington to Sever Sponsorship Ties with Jim Zumbo

Madison, North Carolina – As a result of comments made by Mr. Jim Zumbo in recent postings on his blog site, Remington Arms Company, Inc., has severed all sponsorship ties with Mr. Zumbo effective immediately. While Mr. Zumbo is entitled to his opinions and has the constitutional right to freely express those opinions, these comments are solely his, and do not reflect the views of Remington.

“Remington has spent tens of millions of dollars defending our Second Amendment rights to privately own and possess firearms and we will continue to vigorously fight to protect these rights,” commented Tommy Millner, Remington’s CEO and President. “As hunters and shooters of all interest levels, we should strive to utilize this unfortunate occurrence to unite as a whole in support of our Second Amendment rights.”

We regret having to terminate our long-standing relationship with Mr. Zumbo, who is a well-respected writer and life-long hunter.

pjb829
02-20-2007, 12:43
Outdoor Life pulled the plug on the blog

Statement from Outdoor Life

Due to the controversy surrounding Jim Zumbo’s recent postings, Outdoor Life has decided to discontinue the “Hunting With Zumbo” blog for the time being. Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the looks of the firearms we choose to own, shoot and take hunting. Please direct any comments you have to OLletters@time4.com.

In Zumbo's "apology" that was posted yesterday, the corksucking bastard pretended it was an error because he was tired. Bull****. His *tiredness* contributed to him losing his inhibitions, and he wrote from his elitist, anti-gun heart.

Pete.

anyplainjoe
02-20-2007, 12:52
2/19/07

Dear fellow 2nd Amendment Supporters,

I am writing to thank all of you for your activism in making us aware of the comments made on Mr. Zumbo’s blog. Hi Mountain Jerky and Seasoning has been a sponsor of his hunting show on the Outdoor Channel, but is in the process of terminating our relationship. We do not support his statements regarding his view of the Second Amendment and would not have supported the show or had his endorsement on our packaging in the past had we known this. We fully stand behind the individual right to keep and bear arms as our Founding Fathers intended. It is truly heartwarming to see the grass roots activism in support of our Second Amendment, please know Hi Mountain Jerky and Seasoning stands behind you.

Thank you,

Hans Hummel
President
Hi Mountain Jerky, Inc.