Handgun Registration [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Registration

NoLeftTurn
02-18-2007, 16:08
I posted a couple of weeks ago the I might be moving to Michigan and received some good info about handgun "inspection"/Registration. I will be moving to Grand Blanc the first of March. I understand that I have 10 days to register. Does anyone know how the Grand Blanc PD is with handgun registration? I guess if no one knows I will find out when I get there.

Thanks for the help. NLT

Cicero
02-19-2007, 13:13
Read the statute pretty carefully. IIRC, the 10 day limitation on registration only applies to handgun purchases made within the state. You do have to register your handguns, but it may be a "reasonable time" after you move here. Again, check the statute, don't rely on an anonymous internet posting.

deadite
02-19-2007, 15:07
Originally posted by Cicero
Read the statute pretty carefully. IIRC, the 10 day limitation on registration only applies to handgun purchases made within the state. You do have to register your handguns, but it may be a "reasonable time" after you move here. Again, check the statute, don't rely on an anonymous internet posting.

I'd really like to get this straightened out. I'm also moving there from out of state. I have existing handguns, bought in other states at various times throughout my life. Do they have to be registered if I didn't buy them in MI?

deadite

Cicero
02-19-2007, 15:18
Originally posted by deadite
I'd really like to get this straightened out. I'm also moving there from out of state. I have existing handguns, bought in other states at various times throughout my life. Do they have to be registered if I didn't buy them in MI?

deadite

If you have them in Michigan, they have to be registered at some point. Here's a relatively recent (2006) compilation of Michigan Firearms Laws (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf) -- sec. 28.429 seemed most pertinent.

MC350
02-19-2007, 19:20
You may want to place a call to the Michigan State Police in Lansing or you can visit their website for info also at http://www.michigan.gov/

gsbell
02-19-2007, 19:43
Don't F around like Angel Shamaya did, he got burned.

It sucks *** to be registering pistols but it is the law here in Michigan. Unload them put them in a case and visit your local PD and just get-r-done. No time limit but I'd do it PDQ. I had a buddy who waited several years after establishing residency to do it. IMO he was lucky the PD didn't try to jam him up.

jsbrown14
02-19-2007, 20:05
All handguns must be registered in Michigan. I find people's stories vary depending on their local PD. You could wait months, and as long as you get a cool Sargent at the PD you'll be fine. If you get the Chief of police or some other desk-jockey politician, you're more likely to get hassled.

Since you know about the law, I highly recommend visiting your local PD as soon as you're comfortably settled. You need to register them eventually, so you might as well avoid trouble and do it immediately.

It sucks to register your guns, but it's the law for now. Make sure you register to vote, too.

deadite
02-20-2007, 12:50
Sheesh, and I thought Delaware sucked. Makes me want to sell my handguns and buy ar15s.

deadite

JoeG30XD
02-20-2007, 19:13
You would actually need to take to them to the Genesee County Sheriff's Department.

jsbrown14
02-20-2007, 19:22
JoeG30XD, are you sure about the county sheriff?

If you live in a city, I believe the city PD is the proper place. If you're outside city limits, then it's likely the county sheriff. (I'm not sure what happens if you're in one of the rare townships that maintain a township PD).

I registered mine at my city PD... and being a small rural town it was really easy and friendly. The Sargent even recommended that I get my Michigan CCW to avoid the "purchase permit" hassles for future purchases.

JoeG30XD
02-20-2007, 21:44
For Genesee County it is. When I lived in Grand Blanc I went to the Sheriff's Department. None of the local police departments in Genesee County that I've dealt with handle it.

Ender
02-24-2007, 20:16
guys, guys, guys! we aren't registering them, we are taking them in for a SAFETY INSPECTION!

:supergrin:

NoLeftTurn
03-19-2007, 09:04
Originally posted by JoeG30XD
For Genesee County it is. When I lived in Grand Blanc I went to the Sheriff's Department. None of the local police departments in Genesee County that I've dealt with handle it.

Moved into Michigan the first part of March. Checked with the Grand Blanc Township PD and they sent me to the Genesee County Sheriff's Department and they sent me to the Grand Blanc PD who kept the guns overnight and charged me $5 a gun to register them. They said that they do city residents only. I took six in and the lady at the counter said that I had six too many. She did say though, "Guns don't kill people, People kill people". She wouldn't back out on her original statement though. Now I have to wait 6 months for my CPL :sad: .

JoeG30XD
03-19-2007, 16:14
Originally posted by JoeG30XD
You would actually need to take to them to the Genesee County Sheriff's Department.

:thumbsup: From start to finish it only took about 2 1/2 months to get my cpl.

NoLeftTurn
03-19-2007, 17:00
Residency requirement for CPL is 6 months. I will be taking the mandatory course before that so that everything is in place when the 6 month wait is done.:thumbsup:

Dbover
03-20-2007, 17:45
The law in Michigan was quite unequivocal when I looked into it ten years ago. If you have legally owned handguns in another state, and move to Michigan, you cannot legally bring them with you, period. The only way you can own a gun in Michigan is by obtaining a purchase permit, buying one, and bringing it in to be inspected within 10 days, whereupon you're given a green card with your name, the kind of gun, the serial number, etc. The "safety inspection" is actually the only way the authorities know what gun you've bought, since the permit entitles you to buy any legal handgun. So, though it isn't really a safety inspection, it's the only way they can register your actual purchase.

So if you own a gun in, say, Massachusetts, and come to Michigan, you have to get a permit to purchase your own gun, and have an FFL holder ship it to you (or ship it to a Michigan FFL holder). The catch is that you can't get a purchase permit until you're a resident, and it takes 6 months to establish residence. Sounds crazy, but when I read the law, it was crystal clear on the point. Note that if you bring a gun into Michigan under the pretext that you're hunting with it, you have to get an out-of-state hunting license, and your presence in Michigan doesn't count toward establishing residence. Not to mention that handgun hunting seasons probably don’t jibe with your presence.

The fact that Michigan now has a shall-issue CCW, and reciprocity exists with various other states, gives you a possible out. If you have a CCW in a state where Michigan recognizes CCW, you can carry (and presumably remove and stow) your gun as a Michigan non-resident. At best, this would only work for as many guns as you could carry at one time, and could be awkward in a traffic stop carrying more than a few. When six months are up, you're a resident, but even then you must transfer ownership of your guns to someone else, get purchase permits, and buy them back. Maybe this foolishness was addressed in the shall-issue CCW statutes--I haven't read them.

Whether a local police chief or his designated minion will actually observe this folderol is something else again. They may cheerfully aid you in evading the intent of the law. Still, to fill out the green card, they have to cross-reference to the permit to purchase, and they have to specify who you got the gun from, and there's not much time in between for wriggle room.

Michigan is quite formal and strict in its gun laws. Once you’re a resident and have legally purchased a handgun (or handguns), if you don’t have a CCW, you must keep your handgun(s) on your property, and can only transport it/them to a shooting range, to hunt, or to shoot on the private property of another, OR to store them at another of your own properties. If you go on vacation, you can’t give it/them to your neighbor to put in his safe. You can’t loan it/them to your brother. You might be able to leave ‘em at a gun club—I can’t recall. My gun clubs have no such accommodations anyway, as far as I know..

In Michigan a pellet gun with a rifled barrel is a firearm, and if it's a handgun you officially have to go through this whole routine. When I showed up at my local police chief's with the purchase permit he'd issued me and a Beeman P1 for him to inspect, he was surprised--few people pay attention to this aspect of the law. But fifteen years ago when I went to buy a Beeman C-5 from Williams Gun Sight, they wouldn't sell it to me without a purchase permit, even though it was a $1200 gun and you’d think they’d be eager to close the sale. Obviously they thought they might be bought to task if they did it wrong. Likewise they required me to get a pistol purchase permit for a Ruger Ranch rifle with a factory folding stock. I did it. And later, just to be safe, when I bought a Ruger .22 rimfire and put a folding stock on it, I bought it in for inspection, and I now have a handgun green card identifying it as a "Ruger .22 cal mini-type". What? Mini-type? The folding stock isn’t what’s “mini” about the Mini-14, fer chrissake.

If my summary is misleading or incorrect, or if anyone knows of specific changes in the Michigan law that which supercedes them, I’d like to hear about it.

douglasd
03-20-2007, 23:03
Originally posted by NoLeftTurn
they sent me to the Grand Blanc PD who kept the guns overnight and charged me $5 a gun to register them.

Unless you used their notary on something, it is no longer legal for them to charge you any fee for any paperwork concerning the so-called safety inspection, and they have to do it anytime during their normal business hours and all in one trip.

See the AG's Opinion from last year...which is how the law must be applied.

http://www.firearmsalliance.org/AGOpinion7-17-06Permits.htm

gsbell
03-21-2007, 07:49
Originally posted by Dbover

If my summary is misleading or incorrect, or if anyone knows of specific changes in the Michigan law that which supercedes them, I’d like to hear about it.
If you move to MI pack up your unloaded pistols and drive down to your local PD and they will do the "safety inspection" it is BS and a pain in the ass but you do not need to do a FFL transfer to get your pistols into MI.

Dbover
03-22-2007, 11:40
Originally posted by NoLeftTurn
Moved into Michigan the first part of March. Checked with the Grand Blanc Township PD and they sent me to the Genesee County Sheriff's Department and they sent me to the Grand Blanc PD who kept the guns overnight and charged me $5 a gun to register them. They said that they do city residents only. I took six in and the lady at the counter said that I had six too many. She did say though, "Guns don't kill people, People kill people". She wouldn't back out on her original statement though. Now I have to wait 6 months for my CPL :sad: .

Sorry about my earlier post--it was 'way out of date. Michigan firearms laws have changed more in the last few years than in several decades before.

So, they let you keep your guns, as a Michigan non-resident?

Contrary to what I wrote yesterday, you can (as a resident) "come into possession of" a handgun and bring it in for a safety inspection, at which time you fill out the "permission to purchase" also. So the "permission to purchase" doesn't have to preceed the "safety inspection. This makes no sense that I can see, so maybe I'm not understanding it properly.

As to my other observations, here are corrections from the MCRGO site

"Effective July 1, 2006, Public Act 75 adds additional information about loaning a pistol to another person. There is no law against loaning a pistol. The law (MCL 28.421) was amended four years ago to take out the prohibition on loaning a pistol."

"The law changed in March of 2002 from the old "to and from" rules. You may now transport a pistol for any lawful purpose as long as it is stored correctly. The new law defines "lawful purpose" to include the old "to and from" rules but those are only examples of lawful purposes and do not exclude others."

Once you get your CPL, you don't need permission to purchase to buy more handguns, but you do need a "saftey inspections" within a reasonable time, whatever that means.

Welcome to Michigan. I'm surprised and pleased that our firearms laws are lightening up.