Varminting in Texas [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Varminting in Texas

Garzavalwolf
02-19-2007, 21:39
I've been out of the whole hunting thing for a long time but have found a renewed interest. Specifically in Varminting. I know of many posts of people hunting with evereything from Remington 700's to AR-15's. Shooting evereything from Coyotes and Rattlesnakes to Armadillos and Rabbits. What I'm looking for is a website or a place I can go to get the rules and laws for varminting. I don't want to get into trouble for shooting the wrong animal with the wrong rifle!

Arbee
02-21-2007, 23:16
Folks here might be able to help more if you let us know what you are intersted in shooting (the critter) and what you are interested in shooting (the rifle). Just narrow down your question a little bit.

Garzavalwolf
02-21-2007, 23:21
Coyotes mostly. I own an AR, Mini-14, Marlin 30-30. I would guess that these rifles would perform the best from what I own.

Sharker
02-22-2007, 09:58
I read this a while ago, and wasnt able to really help you find a website... I imagine that the Texas Dept of Natural resources or wild life commission... or whatever they are called could help you find what you are looking for.

Basically the AR and Mini 14 are fine for varmints... Rattlesnakes... well I am picturing you standing over it when the hammer drops... may be alittle messy.

I think you can do well... the AR and M-14 would have capacity mags that you would want to verify are legal. Other than that, it should be fair game.

jtull7
02-22-2007, 10:19
There really are no rules for varmiting in Texas. Go at it. Almost any rancher will be happy for you to shoot the prairie dogs on his ranch. Just ask first. Just watch out for the cattle and the cowboys.

Garzavalwolf
02-25-2007, 17:56
Great! Half the battle was having the right tool for the job, my brother wants to come along but wanted to bring the 870. I doubt the coyotes will get close enough to use the shotgun so I recommended he use one of my rifles. Now all I gotta do is find a place to go. BTW I was thinking if bringing my S&W 629-1 with shot-shells just in case of snakes. Anybody else bring a handgun for similar reasons?

Arbee
02-27-2007, 00:23
Originally posted by Garzavalwolf
BTW I was thinking if bringing my S&W 629-1 with shot-shells just in case of snakes. Anybody else bring a handgun for similar reasons?

Consider wearing snake boots or snake chaps over your regular boots.

Esox357
03-01-2007, 17:19
Contact your DNR or Game & Parks Commission for Texas. They will let you know the seasons, licenses, and any other information that you need. As for a rifle and caliber combo it is a personal choice. It will depend on ranges, terrain, and the varmints you are hunting for. For longer ranges you may want a bigger caliber.
A heavy bolt action rifle would be ideal for sitting in a spot for long periods of time and not carried much would be suited for prairie dogs or hay fields for wood chucks, ect.
A sporter weight barrel is light and is made for carrying. It would be good for making several stands for coyote/bobcat hunting.
A AR-15 type rifle can be vary vesatile and can sport a heavy weight sixteen inch barrel which is ideal for fast follow up shots and is accurate.
My personal choice is having a AR-15 for coyotes, foxes, bobcats where it is legal to use such firearm.
Next would be a heavy barrel 700 Varmint rifle bolt action rifle for a prairie dog town. I think the 223 caliber is perfect for most varminting needs and fits the distance that I need for varminting. Esox357.

G36's Rule
03-03-2007, 22:47
Here you go:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/hunt/nongame/

Coyotes are listed as non-game animals. No closed season. No restriction of weapons. And Texas does not have a magazine capacity limit on rifles.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/hunt/means/