Reloading Equipment Input [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Equipment Input

lumberjack
02-20-2007, 11:56
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=659496

Trying to get all the opinions I can, make sure I am getting everything I need, and nothing I don't want :).

Thanks!
Carl

haras
02-20-2007, 19:32
Dude!!!

OK... if you have the funds, stick with your original list.(poor me, sniff...sniff)

Only variances I suggest is:

Drop the Dillon case lube and go with the One-Shot. You don't need it on the straight wall cases (pistol) but will want to hit a shot inside the neck of the 223.

For lubing the 223, buy a plastic 50 round loading block. One like the single stage guys use. When you get ready to load, fill it up and shoot just a mist of the One-Shot at the case mouths at a 45 degree angle from about 10 inches (not too much now) it will also get on the outside of the case.

Buy a dosen Accrobins. They come in handy for sorting/accumulating brass. I make cardboard labels for mine.

Oh, get a RCBS stuck case remover and pray you never have to use it. It's handy as hell if you need it.

I have to add, if this is your first attempt at reloading the 550 is way more forgiving (no auto advance). I use one and visually inspect the powder chage in each case before advancing (manually of course). Read through an RCBS relaoding manual to make sure you know whats going on and BE CAREFUL!

lumberjack
02-20-2007, 21:12
I have the funds. I plan on using it for a long time, it should pay for itself by the end of the year.

I'll see if I can find the One Shot locally. I am getting mixed reports, I have heard that a spritz into the case feeder hopper every few handfuls can make loading easier.

223/556 will be my last caliber to conquer, I figure its the most involved.

What makes the bins you mentioned better than other bins/forms of containers?

I'll check into the stuck case remover, sounds like a worthy investment. Is it a one tool works on all calibers or is it a caliber specific thing?

I have heard the progressive is harder, but it seems straight forward if you understand what each stage does and that it does it. I figure I'll find out for myself soon enough, placing the order tomorrow should be here in 5 biz days.

haras
02-21-2007, 04:38
I almost forgot. With bottle neck cartridges you have to trim them to length. They stretch everytime you shoot/size them. I use the Dillon RT1200B case trimmer. It's great.

What makes the Acro bins better? Well they're blue and they match all your other stuff. He..he

Same with the tumbler and media seperator (plus the no bull warrenty).

Yes, a shot of lube into the case feeder will take a little work off you arm. But as I remember you aren't lacking for strength. Besides, if you do this over a period of time the lube will gunk the feeder. Probably won't stop it but it will look like ____.

Yep, the stuck case remover will be used on the sizing die and should work on any brand you use. You won't need it for the pistol calibers (typically) but will eventually use it on the 223. Been there, done that, it's agravating but it happens to the best of us.

Understanding what's going on at each stage is job one, co-ordinating it with auto indexing is a whole nuther concept. When you get started go slowwwww make sure of everything (especially the powder). Speed will come grasshopper.

Cliff's favorite reloading advice is:
Remember, every round you load has the potential of becoming a hand grenade.

lumberjack
02-21-2007, 08:13
Cliff's favorite reloading advice is:
Remember, every round you load has the potential of becoming a hand grenade. [/B]

Dear God! If I hear that one more time I'll pull the pin myself!

I cut him off yesterday, a man can only take so much.

The other thread mentioned the case trimmer, figure I outta get it.