Disturbing News about HB1022, Re-up AW BAN [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing News about HB1022, Re-up AW BAN

Gibbles
02-20-2007, 22:05
Here is a link from AR15.com
AR15.com (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=37&t=259421)
and a cut and paste from atomicferret (one of the good guys from FBMG)
A friend sent me an email implying that Rep. Cannon from UT is one of the co-sponsers on this bill!!!

I don't know for sure if it is true but i just sent a letter of to him asking him to kill the bill. I suggest everyone do the same. If you don't personnally help to put down this EVIL, you have no place to gripe later.

Cannon's email: cannon.ut03@mail.house.gov

GET TO IT!!!

RyDC
02-20-2007, 22:50
As a former Californian who turned 18 several years before the last AWB expired and thus has had the joy of living part of his adult life while under both the Fed AWB and the Cali AWB, let me say that not only will you be grateful you stopped this bill, but so will your kids. To illustrate this, let me tell a story:

My first rifle was a Ruger 10/22 bone stock that I got when I was 14. My dad had to go to the gun store, pay, wait a week, go back, pick it up, bring it home. In 1999, I paid exorbitant prices for a couple 25-round mags, as they would be illegal to purchase in Cali after that. As in, no transfer, sale, importation of any hi-cap mags (or standard cap mags, or whatever you wish to call them). I didn't know if the AWB would ever expire, so I thought it wise to stock while I could.

Fast forward to 2001. I turned 18 while going to college, and decided I'd celebrate by purchasing a rifle. I went to Van Wag's and bought a Yugo SKS. I paid 100 bucks for the rifle, and 100 bucks for a case of a thousand rounds of 7.62x39. I asked Norm what the waiting period is.

"No waiting period, you can buy as many guns as you'd like and take 'em right out the door with you."

I thought this was the coolest thing ever. If the government can trust me with the power to vote and operate a motor vehicle, I guess I really am wise enough to take home something I purchase the same day I pay for it.

My dad, in California, still complains quite heavily about the California ban. Most CCWers pack subcompact-size guns or 1911's if they can even get the license (he's in Kern County, which issues more CCWs than any other county in the state). Why? Because there's no point in buying a double stack handgun if you're limited to ten rounds anyway. I can remember the posters (maybe some other Cali transplants remember these too) that were out in truck stops and post offices asking "Do you own this version of an SKS" and declaring that all SKS Model M's and D's needed to be turned in or you could face a year in prison (those are the det-mag version of the Norinco SKS).

Moving to Utah was a breath of fresh air. I could buy whatever firearm I wanted, I could go hiking without a permit, my vehicle's emissions test didn't cost an arm and a leg, my insurance went down, and life was much much better.

So my point? Don't let politicians turn America into California. Write a letter.

Mallan
02-21-2007, 08:14
Originally posted by Gibbles
Here is a link from AR15.com
AR15.com (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=37&t=259421)
and a cut and paste from atomicferret (one of the good guys from FBMG)
A friend sent me an email implying that Rep. Cannon from UT is one of the co-sponsers on this bill!!!

I don't know for sure if it is true but i just sent a letter of to him asking him to kill the bill. I suggest everyone do the same. If you don't personnally help to put down this EVIL, you have no place to gripe later.

Cannon's email: cannon.ut03@mail.house.gov

GET TO IT!!!
It is a real bill. NO CO-SPONSORS though.
http://thomas.loc.gov
Search on Bill Number:
HR 1022 IH

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1022

To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

February 13, 2007

Mrs. MCCARTHY of New York introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary
-----------

I doubt highly that Cannon would go in on this. I've talked to him and the second Amendment is one of those issues where I don't think he's a liability to us. Other issues maybe, but not this one. This bill is one I would hope the Dems aren't stupid enough to let out of committee.

GixxerSixxer
02-21-2007, 12:07
I was the one that sent the email to atomicferret.

I was wrong about Cannon's position on the bill. I read a previous thread in GD too fast and was mistaken.

Cannon was listed as one who sits on the Committee that has the capacity to kill the bill before it progresses. I mistook his name being in the list as someone who supported the bill.

Anyway, WRITE HIM and let it be known you oppose HR1022.

RMTactical
02-21-2007, 12:20
Originally posted by GixxerSixxer
Anyway, WRITE HIM and let it be known you oppose HR1022.

Done and done. :thumbsup:

gsr
02-24-2007, 07:33
It is important for us to remind our representitives that they are indeed representing us when they cast a pro 2nd Amendment vote.