Shooters Supply in Louisville?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooters Supply in Louisville??

hoosier#17
02-21-2007, 12:44
Does anybody have a address or website, info, hours etc. etc. THANKS:supergrin:

domzilla9
02-21-2007, 14:37
http://shooterssupply.org/

Apparently no one told them that .org was for non-commercial ventures.:upeyes:

Berretta9
02-21-2007, 15:00
Trust me, they are definitly a commercial venture.

dspit73
02-21-2007, 17:01
Looks like a nicely done website, enjoyed the virtual tour.

Is this a recommended shop?

tacshooter0233
02-21-2007, 17:35
Wide variety. High prices.

moreammoplz
02-21-2007, 17:39
Great place to touch and feel a new piece and then order it from somewhere else, for a lot less $$$$

I have seen guns listed over retail.

It is worth the drive to Buds or Whittakers.

Berretta9
02-21-2007, 18:57
Whittakers is Far and away the finest gun store I've ever been in. Huge selection and great prices.

domzilla9
02-21-2007, 20:07
Originally posted by dspit73

The selection is good.
The prices are high.
The bullsht is deep.
The services is mixed.

spork
02-21-2007, 21:47
Prices are horrible. Easily one of the most highly priced gun shops in the state.

Selection can be very good, so great place to look.

Bren
02-22-2007, 14:51
Shooter's Supply has a LOT of very nice guns and gear and very friendly and helpful staff. Their prices are outrageous, but it's a nice place for browsing.

Bren
02-22-2007, 14:53
Originally posted by Berretta9
Whittakers is Far and away the finest gun store I've ever been in. Huge selection and great prices.

Oh yeah! - old man Whittaker is hit or miss on his personal charm (depends on the day and how much you are spending), but his prices can't be beat and his selection really, really can't be beat by any shop I've ever seen.

TeamSpringfield
02-22-2007, 15:34
When you purchase there you need to "haggle with them" If you ask them for the best price... They will go get approval and come back with a 9%-13% reduction in price. If that is still not to your liking counter and watch the clerk go in the back again...

It is kind of like buying a car..."Shooters Max" I feel they have prices marked high for the new buyer that comes in and does not know better.....

I watched this happen last week, and I have experienced it my self last year on a rifle purchase.

TS

domzilla9
02-22-2007, 15:40
Memories. I remember when the KelTec P3AT first came out and Shooters Supply had them when no one else did (for about two weeks). They are were listing them at $399.99. When I asked them about the price they gave me this Bullsh song and dance, assuming that I had been born last night.

dspit73
02-22-2007, 17:02
Well, I know that paying too much is not my favorite game.

The wife is not buying the need for more of those "things" in the house at the moment anyway... It never hurts to look though

Berretta9
02-23-2007, 07:43
Originally posted by TeamSpringfield
When you purchase there you need to "haggle with them" If you ask them for the best price... They will go get approval and come back with a 9%-13% reduction in price. If that is still not to your liking counter and watch the clerk go in the back again...

It is kind of like buying a car..."Shooters Max" I feel they have prices marked high for the new buyer that comes in and does not know better.....

I watched this happen last week, and I have experienced it my self last year on a rifle purchase.

TS
Problem is, most people have real low opinons of car salesman and know they are trying to screw you. I have to put up with that when buying a car but not with guns. I'd rather deal with people that don't feel the need to play games or rob you. Great place to look but not to buy.

k12lts
02-23-2007, 08:40
You might want to try Kiesler's in Jeffersonville if you haven't been there. I had not been there for about two years but stopped last week and was plesantly supprised by the selection. They had good prices on ammo and reasonable prices on guns. They even carry some Dillon equipment now.

fryeg7
02-23-2007, 09:07
shooter's supply is a joke. they cater to people with more money than brains :animlol: . i look at is a real-life catalog or a museum, you can look, but don't buy. their prices are out of control and about 10-25% too high on firearms, but i've never tried haggling with them . . . .

frye

SmithShooter
02-23-2007, 09:10
I have haggled with them. It works.

I can certainly understand that not a lot of folks like to do that though.

k12lts
02-23-2007, 09:31
Originally posted by SmithShooter
I have haggled with them. It works.

I can certainly understand that not a lot of folks like to do that though.

I've never bought a gun I didn't haggle on. I thought it was part of the game.:)

Bren
02-24-2007, 02:43
Originally posted by k12lts
I've never bought a gun I didn't haggle on. I thought it was part of the game.:)
I don't mind asking for the lowest cash price where guns are marked at MSRP, but when I go in a store that has them marked UP above list, I figure there is no point in asking.

When somebody starts doing that used car dealer crap about "going to the back to ask the boss for a better 'best price'," I'm done. I don't like to do business with people who try to BS me. I don't mind it so much in a trade, because they really do need to check out the value of my gun (in a week I've had the same gun given a trade-in value of $500 to $700 in different stores) and I'm pretty good at the trading game (having learned it with guitars, which are a lot more expensive and usually involve a lot more knowledgeable traders/dealers). It's just the used car dealer BS routine on a cash sale that gets me.

That last comment isn't directed at Shooter's Supply, because I've never tried to buy a gun from them (see the first comment - scary marked prices mean I don't ask).

spork
02-24-2007, 04:29
My efforts to "deal" with them have been met with total failure. However, there was a point when I bought a number of guns from them, at least until they refused to recieve a gun for me from gunbroker (even though it was an out of production firearm that they could not have possibly gotten themselves). I was given a lecture about the disservice I was doing to the retail community, but if I really wanted it, then they were going to charge me fees that totalled well over $100 dollars, maybe upward of 150. I don't recall exactly. It was some sort of percentage based thing, and I guess it that was my special offer since I had bought several weapons there in the preceding months.

Of course, if you like Jerry Springer action, then go back some morning and watch the older owner scream and yell at his employees.

tacshooter0233
02-28-2007, 16:07
:laughabove: How true.

whw
03-07-2007, 17:41
Originally posted by dspit73

I'll break rank and recommend Shooter's. I know several of the guys that work there and consider them to be stand up folks.

Yes, they are in business and carry a large inventory. That means they have to turn some dollars to keep it going. Nothing wrong with that. It's still America, right?

I do have a bone to pick with the lookers that take advantage of the showroom but buy somewhere else so they can save $20. Stay with that type of buying behavior and you won't be able to look at a gun anywhere except the internet.

Go in and talk with one of the staff. If you see a gun you like, ask them for their best price. I think you will be treated fairly.

One Man's Opinion,
whw

fryeg7
03-07-2007, 18:53
Originally posted by whw
I'll break rank and recommend Shooter's. I know several of the guys that work there and consider them to be stand up folks.

Yes, they are in business and carry a large inventory. That means they have to turn some dollars to keep it going. Nothing wrong with that. It's still America, right?

I do have a bone to pick with the lookers that take advantage of the showroom but buy somewhere else so they can save $20. Stay with that type of buying behavior and you won't be able to look at a gun anywhere except the internet.

Go in and talk with one of the staff. If you see a gun you like, ask them for their best price. I think you will be treated fairly.

One Man's Opinion,
whw

i think the only problem most of us have with shooter's supply is simply their prices. i've always enjoyed my visits there and have done some business with the on items they had that weren't too expensive or didn't want to order and transfer from somewhere else.

the people that work there are really nice, helpful and friendly. it is also one of the nicest gunshops in town based on their varied, large inventory, organized store and appearance. their prices just suck.

if i ever feel the need to purchase something from them again, i will haggle. but, it's much nicer to buy something for a fair market price and no BS'ing/negotiating.

i think the majority of their clientel are folks with more money than firearms knowledge, so their high prices haven't hurt them too much. i'm sure many of their customers wouldn't enjoy wading through biffs or pushing cats out of the way at knob creek to look at guns in the cases :). shooter's supply is nice, bright, organized and 'sterile, relatively speaking.

frye

SmithShooter
03-07-2007, 21:11
Despite their insane prices (ABOVE MSRP on many items) I still try to throw them a bone once in awhile simply because they do (as some of you have mentioned) have a very nice showroom and helpful staff.

I have bought 2 Pistols, a Shotgun, and various accessories there in the past and will continue to shop there on occasion.

That said, I have another dealer I like to buy from for most of my stuff, as long as I dont mind waiting for it.

Berretta9
03-08-2007, 06:50
Originally posted by whw

One Man's Opinion,
whw

The problem is that it's not just 20.00. I agree, thats not worth shopping. It's usually more than 100.00 different. On my last purchase they were 120.00 higher. I've also seen the owner verbaly bash his people in front of the customers. Not cool.

spork
03-08-2007, 10:01
The problem is that it's not just 20.00. I agree, thats not worth shopping. It's usually more than 100.00 different. On my last purchase they were 120.00 higher. I've also seen the owner verbaly bash his people in front of the customers. Not cool.

Exactly. The price difference I have noted on anything over $700 is usually between $100 and $200 more than the competition. By "competition", I mean anybody. Usually, on weapons under $700, I have noted an average of $50-$75 dollars difference. I have, on just a few occasions, noted as much as a $300 difference on gun prices. I have done comparisons like these on numerous handguns and longuns. This is one of the many reasons that I no longer buy from them, and I have already listed others, but Beretta9 points out a very good one: the owner throws temper tantrums publicly in the store. He once went into a screaming fit, blaming one of his employees for "taking" his prescription glasses. He cursed, yelled, slammed things around and went on like that for more than five minutes. Finally, his wife, cowering several yards away, finally worked up the courage to point out that his glasses were just pushed back on his head.

TreehugginGlock
03-08-2007, 11:03
Originally posted by spork
He once went into a screaming fit, blaming one of his employees for "taking" his prescription glasses. He cursed, yelled, slammed things around and went on like that for more than five minutes. Finally, his wife, cowering several yards away, finally worked up the courage to point out that his glasses were just pushed back on his head. :laughabove:

Sounds like a great place to avoid. I deal with enough irate people at work, don't need more in my recreational life, too.

:rant: :shocked: :outtahere:

whw
03-08-2007, 15:42
Everyone has different experiences. I can honestly say that all my interactions with everyone in the store have been great.

I've made a lot of friends with the staff and fellow customers. The atmosphere is enjoyable enough for me to just stop by and talk guns.

To each his own.

whw

Ridgeway
03-09-2007, 11:53
Originally posted by whw

I do have a bone to pick with the lookers that take advantage of the showroom but buy somewhere else so they can save $20.

One Man's Opinion,
whw
Made the mistake of going there a week or 2 ago...
long story short there prices seem to just keeping rising out of control- a M&P for well over $600? No thanks, that's over a $150+ marksup from the net.

I purchase locally whenever possible to support the locals (ex. Ray was usually competitive), but @ the end of the day they either need to compete in the new market model or they can go out of business.

tacshooter0233
03-09-2007, 15:01
Great staff!!! However they are located in the east side of Louisville which is white collar for the most part. Most of their customers have money and don't care what they spend. Not a blue collar gun store.

Berretta9
03-09-2007, 15:28
I'm a white collar guy but I don't want to get raped on a gun either.
The owners antics are not cool what ever color your shirt collar is.

fryeg7
03-09-2007, 17:49
I'm a white collar guy but I don't want to get raped on a gun either.
The owners antics are not cool what ever color your shirt collar is.

that may be, but you know what things are worth and what you are looking at. most east-end, white-collar types a) don't ever leave the east-end of louisville, unless they work downtown or are going out of town, b) don't know any better firearms wise, and C) have enough money that being ignorant and 'upper-class' doesn't matter.

you just don't see many country-clubbing, lexus drivers pushing cats off the counters at knob creek or patronizing any of the more colorful gunshops around town. that's way too pedestrian for them . . . . :rofl:

frye

cpolk
03-09-2007, 20:26
Wow, lets see I live in the East End, patronize every range and gun store in Jeff-Oldham-Bullit Counties and drive a German car. I don't think that makes me ignorant about firearms or reasonable prices for anything. Lets see, if I make a little money and spend it wisely, then maybe I can afford to go to the country club or shoot at the Knob. Common sense about money is good for all and allows us to persue the things in life we deem important or fun.

fryeg7
03-10-2007, 07:34
Originally posted by cpolk
Wow, lets see I live in the East End, patronize every range and gun store in Jeff-Oldham-Bullit Counties and drive a German car. I don't think that makes me ignorant about firearms or reasonable prices for anything. Lets see, if I make a little money and spend it wisely, then maybe I can afford to go to the country club or shoot at the Knob. Common sense about money is good for all and allows us to persue the things in life we deem important or fun.

notice i said 'most' . . . not all.

frye

TreehugginGlock
03-10-2007, 14:25
Originally posted by cpolk
Wow, lets see I live in the East End, patronize every range and gun store in Jeff-Oldham-Bullit Counties and drive a German car. I don't think that makes me ignorant about firearms or reasonable prices for anything. Lets see, if I make a little money and spend it wisely, then maybe I can afford to go to the country club or shoot at the Knob. Common sense about money is good for all and allows us to persue the things in life we deem important or fun. Amen.

I live in the east end, too, and have worked very hard to have the funds to live in a neighborhood that I find convenient and inviting. I have no problem treking through the muck to get down and shoot at Knob Creek (even like the cat) or any other range for that matter and even went out of my way to purchase an American made car to support my fellow hardworking Americans.

My one addiction (at this time) is my shooting and I am lucky to have a job that I earn enough money to provide me with a comfortable living and the means to supply my habit. I do, however, shop in stores that will charge a fair price for their goods and services without trying to take advantage of those who may not be as well versed as themselves. After all, they are supposed to be the experts on their goods, are they not? I especially will not patronize an establishment that mistreats its staff on any level. I am extremely thankful that I have my shooting friends who have far more expertise in this area than I to help guide me to find a fair deal and learn something along the way.

As a transplant to this great city, I find it sad to see the divide between eastenders and westenders. If you take the time to actually get to know the individuals instead of believe the stereotypes, you would begin to understand that there are very smart, wonderful and openminded individuals that live throughout the area. In my former life, I have had the privilege of meeting folks from Portland to Shively to PRP to J'town to Middletown and Anchorage, and I will say I've met some wonderful people in every section of town. Variety is the spice of life and no man or woman should be judged on the color of their skin or the location of their residence.

:soap: :hugs::kiss:

fryeg7
03-10-2007, 15:04
gee, i didn't mean to start a social commentary in this thread . . . .

i was just giving a reason why shooter's supply is still in business despite their outrageous prices. they're located where a lot of the money in this town is.

i don't have anything against any end of town . . . .

frye

Ridgeway
03-10-2007, 15:09
Originally posted by fryeg7
gee, i didn't mean to start a social commentary in this thread . . . .

i was just giving a reason why shooter's supply is still in business despite their outrageous prices. they're located where a lot of the money in this town is.

i don't have anything against any end of town . . . .

frye
I think it is more a matter of the uneducated not so much the outright wealthy.

I bought my first half dozen or so guns there, not b/c I had $ to burn or didn't care that what xyz cost, but b/c I was not better informed.

Some people may not know that $750+ for a used USP is asinine.

fryeg7
03-10-2007, 15:18
Originally posted by Ridgeway
I think it is more a matter of the uneducated not so much the outright wealthy.

I bought my first half dozen or so guns there, not b/c I had $ to burn or didn't care that what xyz cost, but b/c I was not better informed.

Some people may not know that $750+ for a used USP is asinine.

that's basically my point.

i'm a louisville native and work in the field all over town and the surrounding counties. i have also lived in several different parts of town. i have a pretty good idea as to the 'general attitudes' of the different parts of louisville.

my point was is that a large number of people who frequent and patronize shooter's supply are people have capital and don't mind overpaying for the convenience, 'atmosphere' and ease of shopping at shooter's supply. most of these people also have no idea they're overpaying by a wide margin. and some of them would rather overpay than have to drive 45 minutes to get a better price.

i have many wealthy customers who rather pay 3x the price of a media air filter for me to deliver and put it in for them than go buy it and do it themselves. they'll pay for a service call and overpay for the filter just to have us come and do it for them. that's the attitude i was referring to.

i wasn't knocking the east end or anyone who lives there. i was just saying some people have more money than common sense.

frye

TreehugginGlock
03-10-2007, 19:30
i wasn't knocking the east end or anyone who lives there. i was just saying some people have more money than common sense.

frye I would agree with you there. There are many people who have more money than sense, but I think it's shameful that they would feel comfortable ripping people off just cause they can. Very poor integrity, if you ask me. Definately sounds like someone I would not want to do business with regardless of price. I like being able to trust the people I do business with.

Sorry if my soapbox upset anyone. Was not intending to upset anyone.

fryeg7
03-10-2007, 19:52
Originally posted by TreehugginGlock
I would agree with you there. There are many people who have more money than sense, but I think it's shameful that they would feel comfortable ripping people off just cause they can. Very poor integrity, if you ask me. Definately sounds like someone I would not want to do business with regardless of price. I like being able to trust the people I do business with.

Sorry if my soapbox upset anyone. Was not intending to upset anyone.

you certainly didn't upset me, i just though i offended you in some way and wanted to clarify what i was saying in case you misinterpreted it :) .

shooter's supply is in an affluent part of town and $100 isn't as big of a deal to some people as it is to others. oakwood guns in middletown, although more of a typical gunshop, has higher prices than a lot of other places. walking into shooter's supply is like walking into walmart or a jewelry store, not a gun shop :) .

i stopped by biff's out dixie today on the way to knob creek and bought a few books and a used holster. now that's a gunshop :supergrin: . it's also where old guns go to die :rofl: . i also didn't see any 'yuppies' there at all. go figure . . . . ;)

frye

TreehugginGlock
03-10-2007, 20:11
you certainly didn't upset me, i just though i offended you in some way and wanted to clarify what i was saying in case you misinterpreted it :) .

shooter's supply is in an affluent part of town and $100 isn't as big of a deal to some people as it is to others. oakwood guns in middletown, although more of a typical gunshop, has higher prices than a lot of other places. walking into shooter's supply is like walking into walmart or a jewelry store, not a gun shop :) .

i stopped by biff's out dixie today on the way to knob creek and bought a few books and a used holster. now that's a gunshop :supergrin: . it's also where old guns go to die :rofl: . i also didn't see any 'yuppies' there at all. go figure . . . . ;)

frye You didn't offend me at all, but FYI I do live less than a mile from Shooter's Supply.

So Biff's carries used holsters? Did you happen to see any kydex double mag holders? I've got a double mag holder but it's leather and does not allow for quick pulls like my single kydex mag holder. I'd like to find one that clips onto my belt instead of sliding on. (sliders make me have to think too hard when I'm putting on my belt so that it hits between the right belt loops.)

You see, I LOVE finding deals. I even like to go Goodwill hunting. Major bargains there sometimes if you look hard enough. Just not on shooting stuff, darn it.

fryeg7
03-10-2007, 20:34
Originally posted by TreehugginGlock
You didn't offend me at all, but FYI I do live less than a mile from Shooter's Supply.

So Biff's carries used holsters? Did you happen to see any kydex double mag holders? I've got a double mag holder but it's leather and does not allow for quick pulls like my single kydex mag holder. I'd like to find one that clips onto my belt instead of sliding on. (sliders make me have to think too hard when I'm putting on my belt so that it hits between the right belt loops.)

You see, I LOVE finding deals. I even like to go Goodwill hunting. Major bargains there sometimes if you look hard enough. Just not on shooting stuff, darn it.

biff's has lots of holsters/gear laying on shelves and in buckets. not very organized and you have to dig through stuff. i didn't see any good mag pouches, and i was looking :) . i did manage to find a very nice, slightly used, black leather galco belt holster with a retention strap. it's for a beretta 92, but it fits my CZ75's just peachy :). i paid $25 for it, certainly less than half of what it cost new, and it is in great condition. i also got an old gunsmithing book and a reloading guide for 7.62x39 :) .

if you've never been to biff's, you should check it out. i always stop in if they're open on my way to knob creek. it's an adventure :). they have more stuff crammed into that store than you could imagine. a lot of it isn't worth buying, but it's fun to see what they've got. it's like an antique store, flea market and gun shop all rolled into one :rofl: .

frye

Berretta9
03-11-2007, 08:28
Where exactly is Biff's ? I've never seen it.

fryeg7
03-11-2007, 12:27
Where exactly is Biff's ? I've never seen it.

about 2 miles or so past the gene snyder going out of town. it's on the right. look for all the junk on the porch :) .

it's closer to the gene snyder than it is to 44, which is where you turn off dixie to go to knob creek. it's a couple hundred yards or more past pepper's bait and tackle, which is also on the right if you're headed away from louisville on 31W.

frye

TreehugginGlock
03-11-2007, 13:46
if you've never been to biff's, you should check it out. i always stop in if they're open on my way to knob creek. it's an adventure :). they have more stuff crammed into that store than you could imagine. a lot of it isn't worth buying, but it's fun to see what they've got. it's like an antique store, flea market and gun shop all rolled into one :rofl: .

frye Sounds like Goodwill Hunting! Next time I'm in the area, I'll make it a point to drop by and dig through.

Flinter
03-11-2007, 15:15
I like Biff's, and the pricing there can be rather erratic at times. I have seen worthless junk with big price tags, and true treasures with very fair pricing. Just got to seperate the wheat from the chaff. His son owns Knob Creek, so they are sorta like a mini chain. Both places are just way cool to go to. Wish I could locate more than one shop here in So Indiana to buy my occational pistol at, Keislers can be high on some items, especially if BPS doesn't carry it.

KYgundoc
03-11-2007, 18:03
Wish I could locate more than one shop here in So Indiana to buy my occational pistol at, Keislers can be high on some items, especially if BPS doesn't carry it.

Have you tried 111 gun shop in New Albany? I have been hearing good things about them but have yet to make it to the shop. If you have been there what do you think flinter.

Sorry to hi-jak this thread but the biffs comment just busted it wide open.

cwshootersupply
03-11-2007, 18:04
I have known Little Biff for several years and my Dad know Big Biff when Little Biff was little.
In fact Biff made a comment on my work as a smith when I just got of gunsmith school and it was critical. But he has recommend peaple to me now.

Flinter
03-11-2007, 19:38
Found this earlier on Gunbroker. Will make every effort to get down there.

111 GUN SHOP INC.
111 West Market St
New Albany, IN 47150
phone: 812-945-ammo(2666)
fax: 812-945-2667

Hours: 10:00am-6:00pm Mon-Sat; closed Wed/Sun

fryeg7
03-12-2007, 14:43
i was working in the area today and stopped by shooter's supply. it was the same as ever: organized, friendly, helpful staff, huge inventory and . . . outrageously high prices :) .

they really could be the best gun shop in louisville if their prices were reasonable or even half-way reasonable. they always have plenty of staff on hand who seem to know their stuff for the most part and are willing to take the time to deal with you . . . . it's too bad, really, that i can't spend too much money there.

i was talking to one of the guys who mans the AR/rifle counter looking for a smaller front sight and got to talking to him about the AR build i did (i bought my stripped lower from them). he told me he could have saved me some money in building my upper :rofl: . nice guy and very knowledgable, but out in left field when it comes to pricing and the glorious internet. i built my AR for about $600 total not counting mags and the sling. there's no way they could even come close to getting me a complete upper and lower with a $600 budget.

frye

Flinter
03-13-2007, 18:38
Stopped by 111 in New Albany this afternoon. The owner seems to be a nice man and he seems to try to have reasonable prices. He mostly has MilSurp stuff, but some sporting stuff as well. I liked the shop, nice and personal feeling.