MI ccw question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MI ccw question

Letner
02-21-2007, 20:25
I currently live in MI right on the border of WI I found out that the place I rent will no longer be rented as of June 1st so I have to move. I have looked around the area but I dont see anything I like. My question is if I move into WI side of town could I keep my CCW from MI as an out of state permit. Currently WI does not have a CCW so thats not an option. Does anyone from MI know what the laws and proccess for this situation. Bottom line I will do what it takes to keep my CCW but I would like to know if I could keep it as an out of state permit so I could open my options a bit on finding a nice place to live

rein-22
02-22-2007, 09:17
From what I can see Michigan does not have a non-resident permit

jsbrown14
02-22-2007, 17:24
I agree, I don't think Michigan offers a non-resident permit.

Michigan does have reciprocity with other states, and some states WILL issue non-resident permits. So it might be possible to get a non-resident permit from a third state (maybe Florida or something) which will legally allow you to carry in MI.

I think packing.org is a good resource for this sort of info.

mikedb
02-23-2007, 16:24
I believe MI does not honor a non resident permit. Or maybe it does not honor a non resident permit for MI residents. Need to check packing.org. Do you realy want to leave? New licence out of state hunting fishing for MI. Wisc income tax.

10 Ring Tao
02-23-2007, 23:51
Michigan only accepts resident carry permits. That means you have to be a resident of the state stamped on the permit in order for it to be valid in MI.

I don't see any way for you to carry in MI if you become a resident of WI. Maybe someone who understands the bigger picture better than I do can offer a suggestion.

proheromk1
02-25-2007, 09:35
Let me help you out with this one. NO!!!! I moved to WI From Mass. 6 years ago with a Mass CCW Permit and a brand new G21. Long story short, I spent a night in jail and lost my G21. Before anybody starts add-libbing, I got pulled over and I told the officer I had a weapon in the car and it went downhill from there. WI does not honor out of state permits. Hope people can learn from my very costly mistake.

:thumbsup:

proheromk1
02-25-2007, 09:37
Edit. Just read your post again and I misunderstood your question. Valuable lesson none the less.

Letner
02-26-2007, 19:00
I know that WI does not allow me to carry but MI and most other states do so I don't want to give up my permit. I will just keep looking on the MI side of town

thanks everyone for your input

GIJoeCam
02-27-2007, 10:28
Ditto. If you're no longer a resident of the state of MI, I would think that it would no longer be a valid permit. If WI has no CCW permits, then I think you're SOL unless you can maintain your MI residency.

-Joe