Fishing Boat & Motor Question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Boat & Motor Question.

mossy500camo
02-22-2007, 12:07
HI! I have a question about a 15ft fiberglass boat and Mercury 9.8hp 2 cycle motor. I hope that some of you more experienced boat & motor operators can help me. Heres the problem and question......
I recently bought an older model Creek Craft 15ft fiberglass V hull fishing boat. I have added an older model Mercury 9.8 hp 2 cycle motor. I took the boat out to a friends large fish pond last weekend. The motor pushes the boat very good in my opinion. I was telling a friend, that when I give the little motor the gas, the front end of the boat will rise up out of the water. This didnt slow the boat or motor down at all. But my friend asked me if the boat "planed out" or leveled out.I told him that it leveled out some. But the front was still out of the water. He told me that this was puting alot of "strain" on the little motor. And That I wouldnt be able to put the boat in the river with it doing like this. He said that going up river with the front up like this, the waves would flip the boat. Now... I'm not going to put my boat in any Raging river. Just the Chattahoochee river Al/Ga stateline.

The boat will level out at medium speeds but not wide open throttle.
Maybe I just didnt have enough room to open her up in a large fish pond. Thanks for any help and info. MOSSY

ps, The metal stamp of loading cap, motor size. Says Motor not exceeding 15hp.

noway
02-22-2007, 14:19
Will here's my advice take it or leave it;

Plane and leveling out is kinda confusing. You want a boat motor that can push you up and out of the water ( that's what on plane means ) and the heavier your boat and the hull design makes a big difference on if it can get on plane and your speed is a major factor.

The reason this is so, when the hull is pushing water around and not on plane ( i.e what a displacment boat like a battle ship does ) it's normally not as efficient, noisey, and not as manumeraval (sp?) as if it was on plane. Also the boat could not be as safe either.

In your case you have a 8.hp, 15ft length, v-hull,etc....

What's your min-max weight and water conditions, and best guess at speed ?

You need to consider all of thee above in deciding on what your needs are and then your engine sizing.

Put Put Puting around in a sml pond at 5knots your concerns would be much different and HP selection less critical, than a boat carrying 3 people, 300lb or gear, and traveling on Lake MI at 30knots.
;)

mossy500camo
02-23-2007, 11:17
Ok.. Thanks.

mossy500camo
02-23-2007, 12:44
Originally posted by noway
Will here's my advice take it or leave it;

In your case you have a 9.8hp, 15ft length, v-hull,etc....

What's your min-max weight and water conditions, and best guess at speed ?

You need to consider all of thee above in deciding on what your needs are and then your engine sizing.

Put Put Puting around in a sml pond at 5knots your concerns would be much different and HP selection less critical, than a boat carrying 3 people, 300lb or gear, and traveling on Lake MI at 30knots.
;)

Well.... All that I can find on the boat is. Max weight 800lbs or 4 people, 15hp motor. We will be putting her in at in a "Backwaters" The water looks calm but rough when the wind kicks up. This river or backwaters can be found at http://outdooralabama.com it's called Lake Harding and is part of the Chattahoochee River. Boat Land is called Halawakee. (5,860 acres)

noway
02-23-2007, 13:45
So if you have a 9.8hp motor and boat loaded to max vrs a 15hp motor, how much difference in performance and if your boat will plane out of the water?

If your looking for a bigger motor for the speed, than by all means go for it. You need HPs to achieve planning and velocity which is where the HPs are usefull at.

Alot of boat do better with faster motor with planning hulls than non planning hulls. But if you "put put putting" around at 3-6 knots then it doesn't matter since the boat will not be on plane and would act no different than any other displacement hull and just moving water around.

Since you have a v-hull I would bet your boat hull is design more as a semi-planning hull vrs full-planning. The mfg'er knows what's need and list the MAX in weight/hp to give you the best performance and safety.

mossy500camo
02-24-2007, 09:16
noway, Thanks for the info. It all makes sense to me now.

I will post a report later today, if everything goes well.:thumbsup:

mossy500camo
02-24-2007, 19:43
Well... We took the boat out today. Lake Harding, Halawakee boat landing. When we (my nephew and I) got there. We were in freaking AWE. Well, since it is FEB. We werent expecting very many people to be there. That place was SO freaking packed. BASS tournament.:shocked: So... we went ahead and put our boat in, windy as could be. The bass boats were zipping by like there was no tommorrow. So we found a nice safe (no wake) place to fish under the long bridge and tied off there. Fished for about two hours with no luck. So we decided to leave. When we got back to the boat landing, the wind, larger bass boats, etc gave us a rough time. The motor went dead, we were forced sideways into the rocks by the waves the larger boats and wind were causing. No one bothered to ask do you guys need help? Not one!:upeyes: Just wait BIG Bass boaters! When you break down screw you! LMAO!:rofl: So.. we had to get wet to get the boat back on the trailer. From there we went to another lake which was calm except for wind. We had a much better time there. NO BASS Boats! The butt munchers!:upeyes:

ps
Overall our boat did great (except that one incident) and we both had fun.:supergrin:

vafish
02-24-2007, 21:48
You also need to have the motor's trim (or angle) set right.

On a smaller motor like that 9.8 it probably has a pin that can be moved to set the angle of the shaft.

mossy500camo
02-24-2007, 22:57
Originally posted by vafish
You also need to have the motor's trim (or angle) set right.

On a smaller motor like that 9.8 it probably has a pin that can be moved to set the angle of the shaft.

vafish, Thanks for the info.

Yes Sir! I found that pin.:thumbsup: