Ranges in Cincinnati area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ranges in Cincinnati area?

Londo Mollari
02-24-2007, 15:32
Hi there guys. I was wondering if any of you had experience with ranges in the greater Cincinnati area. I'm looking for someplace to shoot. :)

Dr. Slots
02-24-2007, 18:54
www.targetworld.cc

They are north of Cincinnati in Sharonville. When I lived over there I shot there several times. I still get over there every now and then.

To shoot it is I believe $8 or $9 per half hour. The price for an hour I think is $18. You can buy a yearly membership which could save you a few dollars if you shoot quite a bit.

Twenty five yard maximum distance.

Too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.

The only long guns that are allowed are .22's, muzzle loaders and shotguns. You do not have to buy their ammo, and as far as I can recall, reloads are okay. I don't recall ever seeing a sign barring reloads.

I have bought a few pistols from them, but no more. They tend to be pricey. If you see a firearm you are interested in you will be better of going down the road to Loveland Shooter's Supply (No website). I bought my AR15 there, very good people. Last I heard they were still trying to get their indoor range open. I understand they went to the city council and were approved. It's just one person causing a delay.

There are others in the area, but this is the only one I have any experience with.

Hope this was helpful.
Mike

Londo Mollari
02-24-2007, 19:40
To shoot it is I believe $8 or $9 per half hour. The price for an hour I think is $18. You can buy a yearly membership which could save you a few dollars if you shoot quite a bit.

Egads, that is a mite expensive. I guess the whole supply/demand thing applies, given the area.

If you see a firearm you are interested in you will be better of going down the road to Loveland Shooter's Supply (No website). I bought my AR15 there, very good people. Last I heard they were still trying to get their indoor range open. I understand they went to the city council and were approved. It's just one person causing a delay.

Good to know. Can't beat word of mouth for things like this.

Eagle1
02-24-2007, 20:00
If the indoor range is a bit much for you, you can always join one of the 3 outdoor ranges that are close.

1) Fairfield Sportsman Club
2) Middletown Sportsman Club
3) I think the other is in Miami Township. I have been there but cannot remember the name.

joedoc
02-24-2007, 20:06
there have been a number of delays for the shooter supply range in loveland. that is a shame as the demand here is quite apparent---target world has lines of folks waiting to shoot most weekends.

firedog978
02-25-2007, 05:28
I too am waiting for (and have been) Shooter's Supply range to open.
I have been shooting at TW for some time now and pay $14.00 per hour. I'm lucky though being retired and can go weekdays...no lines.

As posted already, buy guns from Shooter's Supply. Great people!

If you care to go a few miles to N. Ky. (Florence), I believe Mark's Guns on Dixie Hwy. has an indoor range. I've been there and bought supplies but never shot there. (525-6466)

Old Coastie
02-25-2007, 08:20
You did not mention what you wanted to shoot. If you are shooting only pistol or 22 rimfire, then all of the above. If you want to shoot some center fire rifle, forget Fairfield Sportsmen. Their rifle range has been closed, is now closed and will not be open for a long time, if ever, I suspect.

Good shooting.

BB62
02-28-2007, 09:33
Did you hear the latest about Fairfield Sportsmen's Club?

They have introduced a $5.00 per day per guest fee, payable to the RSO!!

To say I am P#$$## off is putting it lightly.

BB62

glockman513
02-28-2007, 21:30
Target World was nice up until about 4 or 5 years ago when the majority of shooters there you could classify as knowledgeable about firearms. Shot alongside of alot of LEO there. Now it's gotten to be so popular that it attracts alot of beginners, and people who I would question where the hell they learned about guns/safety from. A bunch of Yahooo's on the firing line at any given time. A good friend of mine went a few months ago and said he stepped back from the firing line to find himself looking at the business end of a 12-guage, while the operator was loading more shells with his finger on the trigger. :shocked: Last and final time I was there, the guy two lanes down from me had a Mark II .22 in one hand, and a G17 in the other, emptying both sequentially "driveby style" as fast as his 2 fingers could work the triggers. If they don't get their safety issues under control, someone will get hurt badly. Probably and innocent store patron shopping the clothing racks. There is never anybody watching the range for safety issues, then add on top of that poor HVAC, ventilation, lighting, and the people behind the counter can't hold a conversation with you because they feel they're better and smarter than everyone that walks through the public door, and only have one way conversations which is their way. Shortly after the CCW legislature became law, a worker there posted on another forum site that he ran into a LEO and was asked why he had on an empty holster, and the guy said he forgot his gun at work (Target World). 'nuff said.

Marks is a good range, a little dated, but good. Mark is a good ole boy and makes sure you know what you're doing before he lets you out on the range. I feel more comfortable and safe there. Prices are comprable to TW.

There is a new range less than a year old in covington called Shooters. Nice shop upstairs, range is downstairs in the basement. Very nice people to deal with. Prices are $8 for 1/2 hr, $15 for 1 hr. The only negative is that the range is surrounded by 4 concrete walls and LOUD, so take both ear buds and muffs (or use theirs). No, I'm not a wimp, but check it out and you'll see what I mean. Would have loved to have a G21C with a few magfulls of reall hot loads. :supergrin: The ranges there are video monitored by the front desk, so someone is always watching the people on your left and right for safety issues. Very nice range, A++.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated (other than membership cards at each) with any range, so everything I've said is from a pure experience related standpoint.

Brian Dover
03-01-2007, 13:13
Originally posted by jsh008
Target World was nice up until about 4 or 5 years ago when the majority of shooters there you could classify as knowledgeable about firearms. Shot alongside of alot of LEO there. Now it's gotten to be so popular that it attracts alot of beginners, and people who I would question where the hell they learned about guns/safety from. A bunch of Yahooo's on the firing line at any given time. A good friend of mine went a few months ago and said he stepped back from the firing line to find himself looking at the business end of a 12-guage, while the operator was loading more shells with his finger on the trigger. :shocked: Last and final time I was there, the guy two lanes down from me had a Mark II .22 in one hand, and a G17 in the other, emptying both sequentially "driveby style" as fast as his 2 fingers could work the triggers. If they don't get their safety issues under control, someone will get hurt badly. Probably and innocent store patron shopping the clothing racks. There is never anybody watching the range for safety issues, then add on top of that poor HVAC, ventilation, lighting, and the people behind the counter can't hold a conversation with you because they feel they're better and smarter than everyone that walks through the public door, and only have one way conversations which is their way. Shortly after the CCW legislature became law, a worker there posted on another forum site that he ran into a LEO and was asked why he had on an empty holster, and the guy said he forgot his gun at work (Target World). 'nuff said.

Marks is a good range, a little dated, but good. Mark is a good ole boy and makes sure you know what you're doing before he lets you out on the range. I feel more comfortable and safe there. Prices are comprable to TW.

There is a new range less than a year old in covington called Shooters. Nice shop upstairs, range is downstairs in the basement. Very nice people to deal with. Prices are $8 for 1/2 hr, $15 for 1 hr. The only negative is that the range is surrounded by 4 concrete walls and LOUD, so take both ear buds and muffs (or use theirs). No, I'm not a wimp, but check it out and you'll see what I mean. Would have loved to have a G21C with a few magfulls of reall hot loads. :supergrin: The ranges there are video monitored by the front desk, so someone is always watching the people on your left and right for safety issues. Very nice range, A++.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated (other than membership cards at each) with any range, so everything I've said is from a pure experience related standpoint.

One small correction jsh008: There is no "Mark" at Mark's range, hasn't been for several years now. The owner's name is Kevin, and the other fellow normally seen behind the counter is Joe. Only reason I qouted the rest of your post was to vigorously AGREE with you!

joedoc
03-01-2007, 21:50
Agree with the comments re Target World. They need some supervision at the range, no question. I have found the employees there to get friendlier after they recognize you as a regular shooter.

Gastone
03-02-2007, 23:22
I can vouch for Middletown Sportsmen's Club. I'm a member, there are plenty of good people and a safe (outdoor) range.

There is also the state run range at Spring Valley Wildlife area. Head north on 42 past Waynesville. It is run by DNR. You have to buy a pass on the internet before you go there (like buying a hunting license).

crowkiller
03-04-2007, 00:45
Use to you could buy a pass for Spring Valley at Wal-Mart also not sure if you still can.
Totally agree on the Target World comments I buy my guns at Shooters Supply in Loveland they are great to deal with and good prices.I see Dan at the gun shows and he is always polite and shoots the bull with me even if Im not buying a gun.I had an issue recently with a M&P40 I bought from them (Smith's fault not theirs) and they went above and beyond to resolve it. Ive returned the favor more than once sending friends looking for a gun their way.

Eagle1
03-05-2007, 12:03
I too agree with everyone about Target World. The range is terribly shot up and dont even look at the ceiling tiles, you will wonder how the place is still open. That place is running down every time I am in there. Dont even get me started on their prices, lord ham mercy are they high! I also agree that everyone that works there treats the public like they do not know anything.

I am a member at the Middletown Sportsman Club and love it as compared to the Fairfield Sportsman Club where I let my membership expire last year. How do you expect to run an outdoor shooting range and not be allowed to shoot rifles?