can i buy a gun here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : can i buy a gun here?

Ender
02-24-2007, 19:25
what are the limitations?

i keep my permanent address in MI, but effectively live in OH for the next 8 months. can i buy a handgun here? any weird hoops to jump thru?

thanks!

Dr. Slots
02-24-2007, 20:33
When I lived in Ohio I had to show a valid Ohio drivers license every time I bought a firearm, either handgun or long gun. I don't recall any other restrictions.

I would suggest calling the county sheriff and check with them. That's what I did when I was ready to buy my first pistol.

Good luck.
Mike

A_Fletcher
02-24-2007, 21:24
I believe you have to be a resident of Ohio with a valid Ohio ID of some type. I agree with the other gentleman though, it'd be best to call the SO and ask them.

degoodman
02-24-2007, 22:51
For handguns, you have to be a resident of Ohio. Federal Law. No way around it. If you want to purchase a handgun while you're in Ohio, you're going to have to establish residency here. A transaction involving a handgun must occur in your state of residence.

In theory, Long guns are a different matter. According to ORC 2923.22

2923.22. Permitted interstate transactions in firearms.

(A) Any resident of Ohio age eighteen or over, and not prohibited by section 2923.13 or 2923.15 of the Revised Code or any applicable law of another state or the United States from acquiring or using firearms, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition therefor in Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia.

(B) Any resident of Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia, age eighteen or over, and not prohibited by section 2923.13 or 2923.15 of the Revised Code or the laws of his domicile or the United States from acquiring or using firearms, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition therefor in Ohio.

(C) Any purchase and sale pursuant to this section shall be for such purposes and under such circumstances and upon such conditions as are prescribed by the "Gun Control Act of 1968," 82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3), and any amendments or additions thereto or reenactments thereof.

So for rifles or shotty's, you should be OK, as long as Michigan says it's OK, and a quick cursory look at their firearms statutes book looks like it should be. Whether or not a gun dealer will actually complete the transaction is a different matter. but it's theoretically legal.

Oh...and since someone will probably chime in with a "face to face is the way to go" comment. face to face transactions across state lines are illegal. Has to involve an FFL. You probably wouldn't get caught, but it's definitely illegal.

firedog978
02-25-2007, 04:15
As to establishing residence, time spent in a State doesn't matter. I believe it goes by where you are registered to vote.

Unless you're Hillary and want to run for Senate!!