Anyone know how Specter and Casey stand as far as HR 1022 goes? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how Specter and Casey stand as far as HR 1022 goes?

emt1581
02-26-2007, 15:44
Has anyone written them or read about their stance on the new AWB-renewal HR 1022?

For those who don't already know, it's 100 times worse than the original AWB which sunsetted a few years ago...plus I'm not sure there is anything about a grandfather clause in it.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

n3hcp
02-27-2007, 06:45
I haven't contacted them yet, but I will when and if the bill makes it out of committee. Since neither Mr. Specter or Mr. Casey are on the House Committee on the Judiciary, it seems premature to contact them yet. I understand the bill has no co-sponsors. Somebody introduces bills like this in every session of Congress. Most never make it out of committee. I will, of course, keep a close eye on this and similar bills in the Pennsylvania General Assembly and contact my reps when it is appropriate.

paccw
02-28-2007, 04:48
Let us know the contact address you used and if they return a letter to you.

Specter has never returned anything to me.

jack76590
03-01-2007, 17:10
Still no cosponsors. You can check here on status of bills, contact info, and a whole lot of useful political stuff.

http://thomas.loc.gov/

jack76590
03-01-2007, 17:18
Remember the sponsor of the bill Carolyn McCarthy was a nurse whose husband was shot and killed and her son wounded by a nutjob on a commuter train. She won election on this fact alone and her stand for gun control. So this is who you would expect to sponsor a bill of this type. She could have done it on her own or at request of democratic leadership, who may believe people will not attack her position because of her loss.

Link to puff piece on her that provides basic background.

http://www.usaweekend.com/98_issues/980503/980503talk_mccarthy.html

emt1581
03-01-2007, 22:13
Could sponsors add their support right at the last minute/day?...is that a popular tactic?

I'm just trying to see if there is a reason there are no sponsors right now, other than the fact that there is no support for it.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

n3hcp
03-02-2007, 05:39
I really don't think bills like this will go anywhere before the '08 elections. The liberals will want to keep a low profile until they have the Presidency and the Congress in their pockets. Gun control bills now might wake up the people who deserted the conservative ranks over the war and cost the liberals the elections. If the liberals win big in '08 then it'll be "Katy bar the door". There will be no stopping them. They will make us long for the good old days of the Clinton gun ban.:sad:

paccw
03-02-2007, 13:50
n3hcp

Tell me what Dem or Rep that is running who is pro gun.

I really feel any bill could pass in 08

Rudy Giuliani? New York is anti gun and he never tried to change that.New York city has 4 million people and only 750 gun permits.

John McCain may be pro gun but he will never beat Giuliani

And we know how Clinton and Obama feel about guns.

Not feeling good about this one boys.

:sad: