Thompson contender barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thompson contender barrel

jetcsa
02-26-2007, 20:08
I was wondering if anybody had opinions on Contender barrels I'm wanting one to hunt medium sized game like whitetail deer or hogs. Wondering about 7mm TCU vs. 30-30 Win. which would be the best considering I'll be hand loading for both calibers.

DJ Niner
02-27-2007, 00:53
My experience handloading for the .30-30 is that it can be quite frustrating. Many years ago, I was teaching a friend how to reload, and he wanted to start with the .30-30. Well, I figured "Just another bottlenecked rifle cartridge" and jumped right in. What a pain. The cases are very thin and weak, they stretch quite a bit every firing and the shoulder will collapse at the drop of a hat (during seating OR crimping). I can safely say I've NEVER had so much trouble reloading a rifle cartridge as I did with the good 'ole thutty-thutty.

For the uses you outlined, my favorite Contender caliber was the .35 Remington. Lots of thump for larger game, easy to reload, and you can find older data for cheap cast-lead plinking loads or allowing the use of lightweight .357 JHP pistol bullets for exciting varmint hunting/water-jug destruction missions. :supergrin:

No experience with the 7mm TCU. I know it could be very accurate, but way-back-when you had to form cases for it; can you get them pre-formed now?

noway
02-27-2007, 11:23
how about that 7mm x30 waters ?

Alot of TC guys/gals are running that as a rifle cartridge in their contenders. You can also look at the proven JDJ round but for me I'll stay with a 44mag or 357mag and just get in close ;)

DJ Niner
02-28-2007, 00:53
Even with the straight-wall magnum pistol cartridges, the sealed breech (no B/C gap) and longer barrels of the T/C will boost velocities and hit considerably harder than other similarly portable weapons. I've seen some .44 mag loads that would break 2000 FPS out of a Super 14 Contender. :shocked: :thumbsup: :supergrin:

noway
02-28-2007, 04:20
You care to post some of these loads?

I have a super 14 ( ported ) and it's doing great but so far with sierra bullets I've only gotten to right at 1789fps and Ijust started loading for it. Not sure as to how much the porting did to throttle back the load tho.

vafish
02-28-2007, 12:55
My brother has 7 TCU and 7x30 Waters barrels for his Contender.

He uses the 7x30 for Nevada deer.

Like Noway I use a .44 mag Super 14 for my hunting. Out to a little over 100 yards (111 paces is my longest shot)it just flatens them. Real easy to reload for too.

jetcsa
02-28-2007, 19:51
I was wondering if anybody had experience with the 6.8 remington SPC in the thompson contender.

DJ Niner
03-01-2007, 00:50
I don't think I've even seen or heard of a barrel in that caliber yet. Are they factory stock, or special-order?

noway,

These are light-bullet .44 loads, of course; check the Sierra manual and work up near the max with their 180 grain JHP. I can get this going over 1700 FPS out of my 7.5" Redhawk using Win 296 powder (mag primers required), and that load is still under max in the manual. Back when I had a 14" T/C in .44, I clocked the Federal 180 JHP factory load at over 1900 FPS, and brother, when you hit something soft/squishy with that screamer, it rains "stuff" for a week! Try some on water-filled jugs or slightly overripe watermelons for the full effect. :supergrin:

noway
03-01-2007, 17:43
I'm using a 6" 44mag 629 and can't get anywhere near 1580fps with H110 using a 250grain Jacket bullet. I did some testing with H110 and the contender and I was able to squeeze out 1796fps at high-level loading which is the same thing I was using in the smith. Closer to 2000fps but not right there. Granted I have the last 1" ported not sure if this what limiting me.

oh well, I'll be back at the drawing board but a 44mag bullet at a 2XX or heavier is good enough with me and I'm more than happy with 1796fps from a gun that weighs as lite as a typical long bbl G20.

vafish
03-02-2007, 05:56
One of these days I'm going to break down and buy a chrono so I can see how fast my handloads are actually going.

noway
03-02-2007, 10:59
ditto

That was the best investment thatI even made in my shooting life. Chrono don't lie, takes out the guess work and gives you and idea on what's happen outside the bbl of the gun when your handloading and trying to achieve a certain performance.

I think anybody serious about handloading should have one along with their dies, funnel, scale,etc......