South Carolina?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina??

JungleJim
02-27-2007, 21:09
So what is the problem with SC? most of the surrounding states all have reciprocity with each other but not with SC? Any idea why? and is anything being done to correct that issue?

graveman
02-28-2007, 01:40
AFAIK South Carolina does NOT reciprocate with states that have lesser requirements and training ( i.e. Georgia, where all you have to do to get a permit if you have a clean record is fill out papers at the courthouse and voila you can carry ). Georgia permits aren't recognized in SC, and SC permits are no good in Georgia.

scnative
02-28-2007, 07:45
There is currently legislation awaiting state Senate and gubernatorial approval to allow out-of-state permit holders to conceal carry in SC: H3212

A BILL TO AMEND SECTION 23-31-215, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA,
1976, RELATING TO THE ISSUANCE OF CONCEALABLE WEAPONS PERMITS, SO AS TO
PROVIDE THAT VALID OUT-OF-STATE PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALABLE WEAPONS HELD BY A
RESIDENT OF ANOTHER STATE MUST BE HONORED BY THIS STATE AND TO DELETE THE
PROVISION THAT THIS STATE WILL ONLY HONOR OUT-OF-STATE PERMITS ISSUED BY A
STATE WITH WHICH SOUTH CAROLINA HAS RECIPROCITY.

This legislation will not only greatly increase the number of permits issued by other states that will be honored in South Carolina, but will also increase the number of states that will recognize a South Carolina permit. Hopefully this will get passed soon....we're keeping an eye on it. :)

JungleJim
03-01-2007, 20:24
Originally posted by graveman
AFAIK South Carolina does NOT reciprocate with states that have lesser requirements and training ( i.e. Georgia, where all you have to do to get a permit if you have a clean record is fill out papers at the courthouse and voila you can carry ). Georgia permits aren't recognized in SC, and SC permits are no good in Georgia.

I had to take a CCW course in Fla and still no carry in SC

I may be relocating there for work and I have some issues with their carry laws. Lack of reciprocity with some of their neighbors is one, the ridiculous no CCW while dining out (no alcohol served/ no CCW)is another biggie. If I do wind up moving there I will look to join some politically active gun rights group to try and make some positive changes

JungleJim
03-01-2007, 20:25
Originally posted by scnative
There is currently legislation awaiting state Senate and gubernatorial approval to allow out-of-state permit holders to conceal carry in SC: H3212

Hopefully this will get passed soon....we're keeping an eye on it. :)

I hope it does pass, the more the merrier. What do you think the chances are? any guesses?

scnative
03-01-2007, 22:29
Originally posted by JungleJim
I hope it does pass, the more the merrier. What do you think the chances are? any guesses?

Not sure, but I read that there is some opposition to this bill, especially from the Democrats and SLED. This is what happened on Thursday:

Mar. 1, 2007: Vote reconsidered to send the bill to Judiciary Committee. Received 2nd reading. Rollcall vote 100=yeas 2=nays. Unanimous consent for 3rd reading on the next legislative day.

You can get updates on this bill here: http://scfirearms.org/Legislative/H3212.html

hpj3
03-11-2007, 05:38

I may be relocating there for work and I have some issues with their carry laws. Lack of reciprocity with some of their neighbors is one, the ridiculous no CCW while dining out (no alcohol served/ no CCW)is another biggie. If I do wind up moving there I will look to join some politically active gun rights group to try and make some positive changes

Check us out: scfirearms.org - GrassRoots Gunrights.

Howard

DM-SC
03-12-2007, 08:57
Originally posted by scnative
Not sure, but I read that there is some opposition to this bill, especially from the Democrats and SLED. [/URL]

This is the second time that this change has been attempted. The first time it was derailed by supposedly pro-gun folks in the Senate.

This bill faces an up hill fight in the Senate this time around as well.

graveman
03-12-2007, 09:24

.... apparently some of the requirements that FL has are not high enough for our decision-making guys.

As for the no carry in bars etc ( even restaurants that HAVE a bar ), this is, to me, similar to the "blue laws" and the divorce requirements. How many beer joint hellraisers would even bother to get a permit ????

DM-SC
03-12-2007, 09:39
Originally posted by graveman
.... apparently some of the requirements that FL has are not high enough for our decision-making guys.

That's the thing...the folks at SLED who decide which states that have "equal or greater" CWP standards use arbitrary, even nit-picky differences to justify their not entering into reciprocal agreements.

As for the no carry in bars etc ( even restaurants that HAVE a bar ), this is, to me, similar to the "blue laws" and the divorce requirements. How many beer joint hellraisers would even bother to get a permit ????

One fairly huge hurtle that must be cleared before we can have carry in "on premises consumption" businesses is, under current law, SC does not have "bars". We have restaurants that serve alcohol. Ruby Tuesday's and red Lobster have the same ABC license as do the places that are normally considered "bars".

Also, the last time we tried to change the law to allow carry in "on premises consumption" businesses, the SC media had a field day with the old "blood in the streets" style of arguments against it.

JungleJim
03-12-2007, 20:28
Here in Fla we can't carry in bars or the portion of restruants (bar area) but can carry in the dining area. That makes sense to me

JungleJim
03-12-2007, 20:29
Originally posted by hpj3
Check us out: scfirearms.org - GrassRoots Gunrights.

Howard

Thanks, I will check out the site and if I do wind up relocating there I will be in touch

walrus108
03-15-2007, 14:51
They are trying to redefine the alcohol thing now. I was told it will most likely have to do with the percentage of total sales due to alcohol. Grassroots is leading this effort. If you are not a member, I urge you to join right away. There is power in numbers and grassroots has had much success in suing to force the state to uphold our constitutional rights.
http://www.scfirearms.org/

lepmik
03-16-2007, 11:38
Hello all. Soon I am moving to SC, but I'll be working in GA. I've been reading this forum and packing.org, and I haven't seen a way to carry legally in both states. Is there a way around this that I'm missing?

Thank you.

Edit: It seems I could get a SC permit, then get a FL permit to cover CCW while in GA. Is that right?

However, if I lived in GA and sometimes traveled to SC, it seems like it's impossible to be legal in SC. Yes?

walrus108
03-16-2007, 16:10
Originally posted by lepmik
Hello all. Soon I am moving to SC, but I'll be working in GA. I've been reading this forum and packing.org, and I haven't seen a way to carry legally in both states. Is there a way around this that I'm missing?

Thank you.

Edit: It seems I could get a SC permit, then get a FL permit to cover CCW while in GA. Is that right?

However, if I lived in GA and sometimes traveled to SC, it seems like it's impossible to be legal in SC. Yes?

In SC anybody can carry a loaded gun in their glove box or console. They do not have to be locked. You can carry concealed to and from a property you rent or own (motel), or also (I think) to a property that you have permission to carry on. All this you can do without a permit as long as you are legally able to own a gun.

rfd339
03-31-2007, 23:09
just took a ccw class last sat . the inst. gave some hand outs with the states that honor nc cc permit and sc was one of them?