What about our political opinion? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What about our political opinion?

hi speed
02-28-2007, 18:58
I respect many here on GT and find most to be very knowledgeable and trustworthy. I no longer post much but I log in just about every day. For those of you that are not familiar with my style, please understand that I am passionate about the welfare, treatment, and respect that our veterans and active duty service women/men so rightly deserve. I am opinionated and blunt with many of my assertions but have only good intentions. I'll do my best to the contrary.

It seems that our presidential candidates are already campaigning and starting to throw the mud at one another. I stay glued to C-SPAN and am at a loss as to where many of them stand on the subjects that matter to many of us. Iraq seems to monopolize and belittle every other matter. I'll post some areas of concern that I have and would appreciate some info on which candidates are doing what in that area.

1. Veterans benefits and welfare.

2. Job placement and healthcare for disabled veterans. I've been out since 5/06 and can't find suitable work.

3. Border Security..............If there is such a thing? Will all that try to uphold the law be jailed like their co-workers.

4.Taxes.........I think I heard that a certain somebody wanted to use our tax dollars to send illegals to college. Is this true? Who?

5. Gun control..........Would Rudy be for stiffening gun control. I think I heard that he would leave it up to individual states.

Depending on responses, I have some thoughts and more detailed questions for those privy to more knowledge than I.

Zenit
03-05-2007, 21:31
I am going to have a hard time with this upcoming POTUS election...I consider myself fiscally conservative, socially moderate, so Sen. McCain would seem to be my obvious choice, especially considering his honorable service in the military...but I have a real hard time swallowing his 2nd Amendment record and/or positions. Plus, I didn't really like his complete 180 on Falwell & him making the trek to Liberty University last year...makes him kind of look like a flip-flop artist. Plus, I was extremely non-plussed at his failure to attend CPAC last week.

I vote on these issues, in the following order:

1. Defense & Veteran's Affairs
2. Fiscal Responsibility
3. Foreign Policy & Domestic Policy
4. 2nd Amendment
5. Social Policies

1-4 are kind of all pretty close as far as I am concerned, as far as what is important, #5 is a long ways down after that...but it seems like a lot of the fringe elements in the GOP want to make social policy #1 on their priority list, and that disturbs me, to be honest. I've never NOT voted GOP or Independent-Republican (MN Party) in my life...and I hope to not start in 2008...but right now, between Sen. McCain, Gov. Romney, and Mayor Giuliani...tough choice.

Newt Gingrich would be my ideal candidate, he's good to go on my #1-4, a little too far in bed with the Religious Right on #5, but like I said...I care about that, but not as much as I care about the other issues. But Newt is smart enough to know that he might win the GOP endorsement & get clobbered in the Presidential election, he knows he is a polarizing figure and not attractive at all to the independent electorate...something Hillary can't seem to figure out, owing to the size of her massive ego blocking the view. IMHO, Newt will "take one for the team" in 2008 and stay out of the race, and instead work towards a more noble end, devoting his efforts to winning the Presidency for the GOP and helping the GOP win back the Senate.

As for the Democrats...ANY ONE but Hillary. Slick Willie has already started to campaign for her, which to me smacks of desparation...I can't see Obama, political toddler as he is, mounting a serious challenge to anyone, in spite of the CNN/Hollywood spin to the contrary...he's only HOPING to be considered for something like HUD Secretary or some mid-level Cabinet post, at best. As far as I am concerned, Gov. Richardson is the only one of the Democrats that I would seriously consider taking a look at...the most experienced foreign policy expert among all of the candidates, pro 2nd, a somewhat hawkish Democrat in the model of Sen. Sam Nunn, fiscally more conservative than liberal, and he seems to be veteran & defense friendly. I have no idea how he is on social policy...again, that is at the bottom of the list as far as my concerns.

Let's see how it pans out. Today, if I had to cast my vote, I would probably vote for Sen. McCain, with Gov. Richardson behind him. Under no circumstances would I EVER vote for Hillary (we've already had eight years of her politics, and see where it got us,) the kid from Illinois, or Gov. Romney, and Mayor Giuliani for me would be a tough sell as well.

Just my $0.02.

WIG19
03-07-2007, 14:57
- I do not currently see a Republican Presidential candidate that I trust.
- Mr. Giuliani, like Hillary & what's his name, is quite capable of playing chameleon to pander to whomever controls the resources and/or a Dem-controlled Congress.
- Gov. Richardson has HUGE support from the NRA, and a ton of bi-partisan support within his own state. He's probably doomed, but for the first time in decades I'd consider voting for a Democrat only because I vote my gun and the Republicans, thus far, have shown me nothing but vacillating sycophants. Mr. Richardson looks like the real deal.

What most current Democrats don't understand is that their forefathers, working-class, but fiscally-conservative Dems wouldn't recognize their own party today. Today they're too busy wringing their hands & looking for a victim's association to join for one thing or another. Empowerment is their buzzword, except where it comes to personal responsibility. [/rant]

The above is a bit of a rant but is germane, in that how a politician is willing to approach those kinds of issues will tell you something about their spine. The GOP is too scared right now, but are (probably rightly) waiting to see if the Dems form the typical circular firing squad. Just my supposition.

:patriot:

(Separate thought noticing someone here from my fine neighbor state to the west...)
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=2705

Havoc1967
03-08-2007, 16:53
I think at this point what we really need in a President is a moderate Republican. The Democrats are too left-wing (and even the better ones like Lieberman have to follow their party line when push comes to shove), the conservative branch of the Republican party only has a minority fan-base, and sadly there is no third party in this country. That leaves a moderate Republican. I personally like Giuliani. I don't agree with everything he's done but I think he would be a good President. I do not trust McCain at all. If he gets the nomination I will just abstain from voting.

I almost feel sorry for the bleeding-heart liberals in Hollywood right now. Choosing between a female (Hillary) or a minority (Obama)....which one will give them more points in their PC competition? :)