PDA

View Full Version : VA Knife Laws?

Sporwick
03-01-2007, 15:33
Moved to "Cutting Edge" forum

watsoncb
03-01-2007, 18:51
Gosh, Sporwick...

I am not an expert of knifes in Virginia. I am sure someone will have one shortly. We have lots of LEOs that post. I am scare to death of knifes. I am too stupid to figure out how to close lock blades without cutting myself.

I can only advise -> never bring a knife to a gun fight. :tease:

Sporwick
03-01-2007, 18:59
sorry...poor english. I wrote it real fast without really paying attention. Excuse my poor use of words.

Truckee
03-02-2007, 11:53
watsoncb,
I'm with you, knives make me nervous!

Sporwick,
You should have left your post up and maybe just reposted under the -Cutting Edge-.

I did read your post. VA. Code is general and sporadic concerning knives. "Bowie knife, dagger, any dirk, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack, throwing star or oriental dart, disc with two or more points, ballistic knife, or like weapons (Titles: 18.2-283; 18.2-308; 18.2-311)" are mentioned under certain Codes, but there's not really a solid definition of some of these knives. Note the quote "like weapons"... as with many issues within VA. Code, interpretation is a task of the judge.

This is just an opinion, any folding pocket knife with a blade three inches or less does not draw attention as long as you're not in one of the prohibited areas, courts, schools, places of worship during a service... at least, not my attention. Title 18.2-308.1 {carry in schools} does define a "folding pocket knife" as having a metal blade of less than three inches.

Around these parts, big hunting knives don't draw notice when one is dressed as a hunter and during season. Are larger knives "illegal?" Not as I can tell, but a -bigger than a pocket knife- in one's possession during suspicious behavior is an alerting sign.

Basically in overview and again my unbinding opinion, several knife types are illegal to carry in public by VA. Code... darts, daggers, stars, switch/auto blades. Just about any reasonable folder or straight blade will not get you into immediate trouble, providing you stay away from prohibited areas and you behave yourself. Also be aware that some private property, for example malls, have a prohibition on knives. You could get checked under these circumstances, but you'll just be asked to leave, no charges levied.

Be aware that several localities have statutes concerning knives and their carry. Check with local authority concerning its laws.

Personally, and I think I can speak for most VA. LEO, I don't give much attention to 'reasonable' knives unless one is in your hand, or during an encounter, or obviously larger than life (the Crocodile Dundee knife on your belt). Do something circumstantially stupid with a knife larger than a fingernail-picker on your person, you will get a weapons charge.

{just thought I'd better eta}
All bets are off with the above if one is on probation, under restraining order/protection order and/or has a prior criminal record.

Sporwick
03-02-2007, 12:03
Originally posted by Truckee
watsoncb,
I'm with you, knives make me nervous!

Sporwick,
You should have left your post up and maybe just reposted under the -Cutting Edge-.

I did read your post. VA. Code is general and sporadic concerning knives. "Bowie knife, dagger, any dirk, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack, throwing star or oriental dart, disc with two or more points, ballistic knife, or like weapons (Titles: 18.2-283; 18.2-308; 18.2-311)" are mentioned under certain Codes, but there's not really a solid definition of some of these knives. Note the quote "like weapons"... as with many issues within VA. Code, interpretation is a task of the judge.

This is just an opinion, any folding pocket knife with a blade three inches or less does not draw attention as long as you're not in one of the prohibited areas, courts, schools, places of worship during a service... at least, not my attention. Title 18.2-308.1 {carry in schools} does define a "folding pocket knife" as having a metal blade of less than three inches.

Around these parts, big hunting knives don't draw notice when one is dressed as a hunter and during season. Are larger knives "illegal?" Not as I can tell, but a -bigger than a pocket knife- in one's possession during suspicious behavior is an alerting sign.

Basically in overview and again my unbinding opinion, several knife types are illegal to carry in public by VA. Code... darts, daggers, stars, switch/auto blades. Just about any reasonable folder or straight blade will not get you into immediate trouble, providing you stay away from prohibited areas and you behave yourself. Also be aware that some private property, for example malls, have a prohibition on knives. You could get checked under these circumstances, but you'll just be asked to leave, no charges levied.

Be aware that several localities have statutes concerning knives and their carry. Check with local authority concerning its laws.

Personally, and I think I can speak for most VA. LEO, I don't give much attention to 'reasonable' knives unless one is in your hand, or during an encounter, or obviously larger than life (the Crocodile Dundee knife on your belt). Do something circumstantially stupid with a knife larger than a fingernail-picker on your person, you will get a weapons charge.

{just thought I'd better eta}
All bets are off with the above if one is on probation, under restraining order/protection order and/or has a prior criminal record.

Thanks Truckee. I didnt want to post the same thing in mulitple places. I hate when people do that. Thanks for the explanation.

mallcop
03-05-2007, 20:09
I have faced both, and knifes scare me more? When you find a person proficient with a blade they truly are frightening as they can advance without making there intentions obvious before it is too GD late. For years I have been taught the 21" rule and that is too close! :shocked: