The anti-self-defense crowd ate their wheaties..ANOTHER horrible bill has been filed! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The anti-self-defense crowd ate their wheaties..ANOTHER horrible bill has been filed!

Grayson
03-02-2007, 07:28
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2007/Bills/Senate/HTML/S466v0.html

In a nutshell, looks like you can ONLY carry a gun as a "weapon" even WITH a CCW. And you'll get tossed in jail even IF you use any other weapon to defend yourself with! :crazy:

CONTACT INFO: (for the insane sponsor of this bill, but you can also find ALL NC Senators/Reps on this page!)
http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/members/viewMember.pl?sChamber=Senate&nUserID=156

Taipei Personality
03-03-2007, 05:30
Originally posted by WNC_Ghostbuster
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2007/Bills/Senate/HTML/S466v0.html

In a nutshell, looks like you can ONLY carry a gun as a "weapon" even WITH a CCW. And you'll get tossed in jail even IF you use any other weapon to defend yourself with! :crazy:

CONTACT INFO: (for the insane sponsor of this bill, but you can also find ALL NC Senators/Reps on this page!)
http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/members/viewMember.pl?sChamber=Senate&nUserID=156

That's the way the NC CHL has been since it's inception; only handguns are allowed to be carried. What changes in this bill?

Grayson
03-03-2007, 21:22
Originally posted by Taipei Personality
That's the way the NC CHL has been since it's inception; only handguns are allowed to be carried. What changes in this bill?

One big thing I see is the striking of "DEADLY weapon," replaced with only "weapon." Seems like a bit of leeway to where a cop could find something in your pockets to charge you "just because."

She adds in numerous items, including blackjacks. I read this to also mean collapsable batons. Don't even own one, but don't you find it stupid that I'm licensed to hide a firearm on my person, but not a stick? :crazy:

And there is an entire section on defense against prosecution she wants wiped out:
It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that:

(1) The weapon was not a firearm;

(2) The defendant was engaged in, or on the way to or from, an activity in which he legitimately used the weapon;

(3) The defendant possessed the weapon for that legitimate use; and

(4) The defendant did not use or attempt to use the weapon for an illegal purpose.

The burden of proving this defense is on the defendant.

SBM
03-03-2007, 21:45
Just popped a note off to Cam Edwards, and Ginny Simone. I didnt see a thing about this on the NRA site, and havent heard a thing about it till you brought it to my attention.
Also Im posting a copy of it on all the other firearm related sites Im on, so perhaps word will get out and something can start to get done.

What we need to push the reps for, is a true Castle Doctrine.
Everyone else is getting one, along with a Katrina Rule.
THATS what they need to be adding, not taking yet more.

Taipei Personality
03-05-2007, 06:07
Originally posted by WNC_Ghostbuster
One big thing I see is the striking of "DEADLY weapon," replaced with only "weapon." Seems like a bit of leeway to where a cop could find something in your pockets to charge you "just because."

She adds in numerous items, including blackjacks. I read this to also mean collapsable batons. Don't even own one, but don't you find it stupid that I'm licensed to hide a firearm on my person, but not a stick? :crazy:

And there is an entire section on defense against prosecution she wants wiped out:

Yes, I find it stupid. However, the current CHL law excludes concealed blackjacks and batons (and fixed knives, and folding knives with blades over a certain undefined length, and shotguns, and rifles) as they are considered deadly weapons. The only change I can see occuring by striking "deadly" would be that pepper spray would be disallowed, which would be counter-productive from a statist point of view.

As far as an officer charging a person "just because", the first couple of times a judge throws out a possession of car keys charge that would soon cease, if it were to happen at all.

Yes, it's a bad bill. More "feel-good" legislation that accomplishes nothing.

Zulu Alpha
03-07-2007, 19:33
Thanks for the heads up, but I believe that like the others have stated, its been that way...

As for knives... Any time you are a bad guy (someone who is wanted, or has been charged with something else) the local LEO's throw in a concealed weapons charge if you have a knife.

I was on jury duty once and the "concealed weapon" was a SMALL whitling type knife.

The more charges you can throw @ a bad guy, the better the arresting officer "looks"...

dfowler21
03-15-2007, 16:55
Im just gonna write my senator and tell him to oppose anything this lady introduces. This is the mastermind behind sb8 and sb9 too.