Is there a sardine shortage? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is there a sardine shortage?

The Pontificator
03-02-2007, 11:13
Used to be you could get a can of sardines for $.49

Price keeps going up...and up... :sad:

jame
03-02-2007, 17:59
Probably global warming. Turn off your lights and buy a smaller car. :supergrin:

I dunno, ponti. I'm guessing less demand means that there's less of 'em available. The younger crowd doesn't seem to care too much about this delicacy. I can still find them for .79 to .90, but they're the bigger ones, and not the smaller little ones that are so much better. Scandanavian markets are areas of better availability, but my Norsk kids don't like the little fish near as well as I, my Father, or Grandpa did.

The Pontificator
03-03-2007, 07:23
Originally posted by jame
I can still find them for .79 to .90, but they're the bigger ones, and not the smaller little ones that are so much better.

Yeah, those "Dubay" sardines they sell at Aldi for .59 a can (used to be .49 a can) are an example. instead of 6-7 little fish you get two large slabs cut from a way larger fish.

lethal tupperwa
03-03-2007, 17:13
You put a saltine cracker on the saddle horn then put a Sardine on it.

Eat and then repeat until you run out of Sardines.

MrsKitty
03-03-2007, 20:06
Ponti,

Do you feed the furkids sardines? :supergrin:

The Pontificator
04-15-2007, 10:57
Originally posted by misskitty5077
Ponti,

Do you feed the furkids sardines? :supergrin:

No. I purposely don't feed them much seafood of any kind because is supposedly causes urinary tract problems.

BTW I was able to find Chicken of the Sea sardines and Fish steaks at Dollar General for .55 each. They seem to be a regular item.

The sardines in oil are very good. Small fish, lightly smoked. :eat:

Sundog
05-04-2007, 07:10
Originally posted by The Pontificator
Yeah, those "Dubay" sardines they sell at Aldi for .59 a can (used to be .49 a can) are an example. instead of 6-7 little fish you get two large slabs cut from a way larger fish.

Am I mistaken, or were canned sardines smaller back in the sixties/seventies? I ate a lot of sardines as a kid on fishing trips, camping, etc. and remember them as being smaller and tastier. Maybe my tastes have just changed, but those big slabs don't taste as good to me.

97guns
05-06-2007, 09:35
i live near monterey california and there used to be a ton of sardines around 5 years ago or so. you used to be able to go to the pier there and see large schools of them, people caught them by the 5 gallon buckets with ease. within the last few years they are no longer around even out in the deeper bay. the salmon/tuna fishing has also suffered because of no bait fish for them to feed on. there are even less seals hanging around as well. local comercial fishermen opt to go north or south to make their ends meat.

Glockerel
05-07-2007, 03:09
OOOH Nooo!
What am I gonna bait my coon traps with?

Minuteman
05-07-2007, 03:52
Pollution.

The oceans are dying. They are losing most of their marine life. Huge areas the size of continents have gone barren.

Not global warming hype stuff, just good old fashion poison in the water.

:patriot:

A. Partisan
05-07-2007, 05:52
Can you say, "Soylent Green"