Carry to Airport in VA? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry to Airport in VA?

SelfDefender207
03-02-2007, 14:01
My family uses three different airports in VA. Richmond (RIC), Dulles (IAD), and Reagan National (DCA). If I am not going inside the airport at all, just there to pick up or drop off someone, am I able to carry without breaking the law? I am mostly concerned about the two Washington area airports as I have seen a letter from the Metro Washington Airports Authority saying you can not have a weapon on either of the two Airports property including the Dulles toll Road.

bulwaagh
03-02-2007, 18:45
Someone who travels in that area more could tell you where you might cross "over the border" but as long as you stay inside the commonwealth of VA, your concealed permit is good up to the secured portions of the airport.

Airport carry (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.01)

All the locations you described, none cross over into no-man's-land, you should be good (according to google maps), but I'm sure someone else more experienced will chip in.

SelfDefender207
03-02-2007, 19:27
Okay, I'm trying to find info on the web. This is the letter I was talking about: http://www.vcdl.org/letters/mwaa.pdf . I guess the property owned by the MWAA is under its own laws independent of Federal or State laws? Then I found this article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A13174-2004Oct6?language=printer

This article says they changed the rules so that we can carry in the garages and other parts of the property as long as its not a building that directly accesses the tarmac.
"Without debate, the board of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority unanimously agreed to permit passengers and other airport visitors to carry guns, knives and other weapons as long as they keep them out of terminals and other buildings that access airfields. Passengers who are taking guns with them on flights still will be allowed to carry them into the terminal but are supposed to make arrangements with airlines in advance, officials said."

I just can’t find any official letter or anything else to reference.

So if anyone knows for sure, or where I can find more info it would be apperciated.

MD2010
03-03-2007, 11:33
I think this has been a confusing issue ever since the TSA was born with the advent of the Communist Act...err..Patriot Act following 9/11. Airport security has become so strict at the D.C. airport with special legal exceptions granted to those airports because of their locations that there really is no clear answer and probably won't be, unforunately, until someone gets arrested or in trouble for carrying somewhere and goes to court and a judge is forced to make a ruling about the laws.

SelfDefender207
03-03-2007, 17:41
Okay, well I found this from the MWAA website: http://www.metwashairports.com/_/File/_/PDFregs.PDF

Check out section 8.4 it says:
§ 8.4. Dangerous Weapons Prohibited.
(1) No person may possess a dangerous weapon within or bring any dangerous weapon into the Airports’ terminals or the airfields or any building thatopens onto the airfield on which signs are posted so as to give reasonable notice to the public unless:....

So by reading that it looks like I can bring my weapon as long as I don't go into any of the prohibited areas? Does any one know anything different?

Sporwick
03-05-2007, 08:56
I have done a little reaserch on this about a year ago. IIRC, the Airport Police put out regulations saying it was illegal to enter their property with a weapon (including the toll road). This was later trumped by the State and was ruled invalid as I believe the toll road is a shared road and is maintained by VA. I believe it is an ongoing argument/right to power between the state and the aiport authority. It is a tricky road as it is policed mostly by the Airport Police but is primarily maintained and owned by VA.

All is all it is confusing with no clear cut answer. Unfortuantly, I tend to just shy away from carrying when picking someone up.

PVanCleave
03-05-2007, 18:43
into the terminal building itself. Garage, roads, sidewalk are all Ok.

SelfDefender207
03-13-2007, 06:36
Thank you, I think that I can take that as a definite answer coming from PVanCleave.

DragonRider
03-13-2007, 13:51
But inst MWAA getting control of the toll road later this year or next? Then the issue shall become very clouded, with the airport police possibly having jurisdiction over the entire length. They tried that a few years ago with US 50 and VA 28.

John