Norm is Kool [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Norm is Kool

Steve Koski
03-02-2007, 19:38
Does anyone else get a kick out of Norm VanWagenen? I just love his attitude. I know he can annoy the hell out of those who expect a typical retail experience, but once you know his MO, he's a riot.

Sambolijah
03-02-2007, 20:23
I was in there with a buddy once, who wanted to buy a Walther p22.
Norm kept mildly ridiculing him for buying it.
A little odd, but he seems to be honest.

But I still usually prefer Rangemasters. :)

Steve Koski
03-02-2007, 20:45
Norm also ridicules the 45 GAP like there's no tomorrow. He also mocks folks who come in acting like they know it all right to their face - they usually don't get it though, which is what makes it so funny. I think it's a form of entertainment for him.

I agree with Norm on the Walther - It's a cute small gun that feels good in your hand - but that's about it. It's nowhere near the quality, accuracy, and long term durability of the Ruger 22 pistols.

ElConquistador
03-03-2007, 08:12
Originally posted by Sambolijah
I was in there with a buddy once, who wanted to buy a Walther p22.
Norm kept mildly ridiculing him for buying it.
A little odd, but he seems to be honest.

But I still usually prefer Rangemasters. :)

Last time I was there he had a sign in the .22 pistol case that said something like: "Walther's are cute, Ruger's are better", or something like that.

I've always thought he was funny, he's got a very dry sarcastic sense of humor.

Timpinutah
03-03-2007, 14:23
I like the man. Just donít expect to be a pampered customer. When I went in to buy my G23 from him, his gruff response to me was ďAre you kicking tires or are you buying?Ē My buddy (who had never been there) was taken back. I warn people about his personality. I think he adds character to the gun buying experience.

RMTactical
03-03-2007, 22:42
He's one of a kind. He doesn't annoy me, but I know some guys who really don't like him.

I bought a used 870 from him and he kept trying to talk me into a Nova. I really just don't like the Nova... and I told him that... and I bought the 870 anyways.

He has awesome prices on some guns. He'll continue to get my occasional business.

I bought both of my Glocks there... as well as tons of ammo, etc...

As for the P22. He has (or had anyways) a sign up stating something to the effect that "The P22 is cute, the Ruger is better" (ETA: I GUESS SOMEONE ALREADY MENTIONED THAT) or something. I guess I agree, but it is interesting how openly he speaks his mind without caring if he's offensive or rude...

Gibbles
03-04-2007, 00:32
Hmm, I'll have to stop in there; I usually get along with people like that. There are others (like the old fart at impact) that are just out of their damn minds. Although I still head in there once in a while when Iím out that way, and the old fart has not been there 2 of 3 times, but there is a new old fart that seems nice.
They had a sig 556 last time I was there but I could not get anyone to show it to me. But it's nice leaving the store with out some comment from the old guy that leaves me wondering wtf was going through his head and what the heck did that mean lol (I'm just to nice and always smile and try and not turn my back to him as I get out ;) )

Norman
03-04-2007, 00:38
I'm so vain, I thought this thread was about me. :supergrin:

Steve Koski
03-04-2007, 07:13
Originally posted by Norman
I'm so vain, I thought this thread was about me. :supergrin: Isn't there a song that goes like that?

RMTactical
03-04-2007, 09:48
Originally posted by Norman
I'm so vain, I thought this thread was about me. :supergrin:

You're cool too.

camaro_dave
03-04-2007, 17:55
Originally posted by Timpinutah
I like the man. Just donít expect to be a pampered customer. When I went in to buy my G23 from him, his gruff response to me was ďAre you kicking tires or are you buying?Ē My buddy (who had never been there) was taken back. I warn people about his personality. I think he adds character to the gun buying experience.

he said the same thing to me when i bought my g19 a few days ago. walked up and asked if i was a looker or a buyer. he's freakin strange....

tyger006
03-05-2007, 19:00
I'm Glad that somebody gets a kick out of him... personally, I have often wondered how he has stayed in bussiness so long and done rather well, when compared to other shops in town. He is by far the "Premium Pawnshop" of Utah county (if there is such a thing). I bought two guns from him when his store was down in the present day Provo Center Street Albertsons/Checker Auto parking lot. That store was a dump compared to his place now.
I have also bought a pistol from him, but I consider my time more valuable than he does, so I usually choose to shop somewhere else, Uless it is 2pm on a tuesday or something where I have a half a chance at getting some help. Not really a fan myself, but I could see where he could be funny if you didn't take it too seriously.

econjon
03-05-2007, 21:18
I've found that VERY few people are indifferent towards Norm, they either like him or dislike him. I'm one of the likers. I've patronized his business for years and bought many guns from him (I'd never sell a gun there though, you find out pretty quick why he can offer low prices on used guns...) Sure I've dealt with the "quarkiness" that everyone else experiences there, but I don't mind it. I get the gun I want and save at least $50, sometimes $100 over ANY other store I look at in either Utah or Salt Lake county.

Besides, it's kinda humorous watching someone in the store who obviously isn't familiar with the whole Norm thing and can't quite figure him out.

Cokeman
03-07-2007, 22:35
Originally posted by Gibbles
Hmm, I'll have to stop in there; I usually get along with people like that. There are others (like the old fart at impact) that are just out of their damn minds. Although I still head in there once in a while when Iím out that way, and the old fart has not been there 2 of 3 times, but there is a new old fart that seems nice.
They had a sig 556 last time I was there but I could not get anyone to show it to me. But it's nice leaving the store with out some comment from the old guy that leaves me wondering wtf was going through his head and what the heck did that mean lol (I'm just to nice and always smile and try and not turn my back to him as I get out ;) )

Which location? The West Valley location has good employees and none of them are old that I've seen. I usually talk to the lady with the huge cans. I bought my Glock there because they had better prices than Van Wagenens.

Gibbles
03-07-2007, 23:55
Ogden location.

Cokeman
03-08-2007, 00:25
I've never been to that one. Is it bigger than the WVC location? Their online store has just about every gun you could want.

What store besides Sportsman's and Cabelas has the most guns on display?

Gibbles
03-08-2007, 10:44
Ogden store has a lot; they even had a Sig 556 last time I was in.
Dougs usually has a bunch too. I have even gotten Dougs to price match on accessories with Impact. I still need to check out Impact's southern store, I went there once when it was Totally awesome guns and I was very disappointed and never bothered to go that way again (The guys behind the counter were asshats. )
Patriot arms has a bunch of guns there too, he had some black PS90's and at least 1 FN FS2000. (Thatís one cool gun) but not as much overall as Dougs and Impact do
Over at Getsome they have a nice selection but itís hard to move around in that little place, I hear they are opening a new location soon up the road with an indoor range and stuff. Same with FBMG, and if you have not heard about the shoot they are hosting this April I recommend you check it out, I missed last years and I regretted it.

ETA: I should note that the odgen store has been a lot better these last 2 visits, Iím getting the feeling they are trying to change their ways and the old man that I have had issues with seems to be working in the back and away from customers. But I still could not get anyone to show me that Sig 556. :sad:
My guess he is the old man dislikes tire kickers, I usually kick tires for a few weeks tell I decide what I want and where I want to buy it from. (Impact lost the sale on my Glock 21 and the night sights and the M3X) I went to dougs for it instead. (I tried FBMG first but they had nothing)

Cokeman
03-08-2007, 21:34
I've never been to FBMG. I thought they were into AR-15s only. I work very close to them. I think Dougs probably has more guns than Impact. I got shocked at Dougs last week trying to make the pully system take my target down the range. :supergrin: They need to fix most of their pully systems. I'm thinking that they probably have the most guns on display though.

Gibbles
03-08-2007, 21:47
Dougís range has good days and bad days, one time I saw it looked clean well lit and all the targets would function, the month after that it looked like it was run down. People just go in there and trash the place. They even had to start making you sign for the hearing protection, guy at the counter said in a weeks time all their glasses and hearing protection grew legs.
I was shooting at Dougís one day and I was next to this odd ball shooting a gold tiger striped DE and wearing a old west style holster and hat, and I watched him hit to high and the target fall to the ground. :upeyes: The whole time he was shooting I was getting pelted with copper jackets bouncing back from his .50
I think Dougís needs to do a better job policing their range.
I was over at the Impact guns in Ogden in the back room helping the guy look for parts and some guy shooting a DE shot the wall right where we were. :shocked: After that the guy helping me sat there and watched the guy that did that.
Some people just can't shoot.

Cokeman
03-08-2007, 22:00
I had to give them my driver's license last week to get muffs and glasses. I wish they would leave a broom in the room so that I could sweep all the brass out of the way. I don't like to stand on shells when I aim. I also don't like them hitting me from the gun next door. The guy next to me is either hitting me with shells or the concusion from the bullet leaving the gun. At the WVC Impact, the lanes are better seperated. You only get hit by your own shells bouncing off the wall.