Good Wimmin's Magazine [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good Wimmin's Magazine

Slinger646
03-04-2007, 14:00
So Mrs got some subscriptions for Christmas to In Style and Marie Claire, She was tired of having Guns and Shotgun News scattered all over.

After a few issues she has noticed a Hard Left slant in Marie Claire, and If she notices it, than its gotta be bad.

What is a good magazine for wimmins that isnt trashy and liberal but still wimminy?

Mrs. Tink
03-04-2007, 15:45
I noticed the same thing with Latina. It got so bad that I canceled the subscription. When someone called to try to get me to subscribe again, I told them no way, and why.

Wimminy and domestic: Woman's Day.

Wimminy and healthy: Women's Health.

I have not noticed much in the way of political bias in either of these mags, and they're both pretty reasonable as far as subscription prices. I'm not sure what your Mrs is interested in, and I don't get too many magazines marketed towards wimmins. But I've been getting the two above for five and three years, respectively, and I enjoy them. :)

Atlantya
03-05-2007, 09:35
While I'm not a fan of Oprah herself, I've found her magazine 'O' to be well-written and reasonable.

How old is your wife? There are some others, depending on her age bracket/interest group.

Atlantya
03-11-2007, 20:26
So, I gotta admit Slinger, I got curious as to exactly how a magazine like Marie Claire could have a Hard Left slant, given that it seems so fluffy. I have a pretty bad magazine habit and read a large number each month, though Marie Claire doesn't fall into the type I read. But, like I said, I got curious so I picked up the latest issue.

Wow.

I'm not sure I'd call it a Hard Left slant. I'd call it Offensive Beyond Belief As To Be Almost Laughable In A Professional Magazine. And coming from me, that's huge, because when it comes to stuff like that, I have very very broad parameters of offensive.

It has the usual skinny-I-only-eat-once-a-week-and-smoke-3-packs-a-day photoshopped models and $5785 (seriously, $5785) dresses. But while I was skimming through it, I raised my eyebrows in shock at some aspect of content at least four times, and twice was outright offended.

The fault squarely lies with the editor. Reading her "Editor's Note" you can sense that she's attempting to be an edgy neo-feminist who reads Ingo Muscio, Susie Bright and bell hooks, but still wants to look hot enough to escape notice by Rush Limbaugh and get whistled at on the street. But sadly, she just doesn't get it.

She invites emails. I'm going to get some back issues to see exactly what sort of pattern this is, and then she's getting one.

So, Slinger, if you're still reading this far, I forgot to mention the magazine Real Simple. It's good. And this month's issue has a whole section on companies that give out free samples. I love junkmail that gives me free shampoo samples!!!