Help identify this Police vehicle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help identify this Police vehicle

boilergonzo
03-04-2007, 21:25
I saw an unusual vehicle in Greenfield today. There were two uniformed officers (appeared to be State Police uni's, but they went by fast, so I am not sure). The vehicle was a full sized sport ute (Chevy Denali scale), was very dark. Lights (reds and blues) were inside (windshield, grille, rear windows) but were quite visible.

The odd thing was it had several ports/tubes sticking up out of the center of the roof in a row (perhaps two inch diameter, just under a foot long). Think dorsal fin on fish without the web, and that is the general idea.

What is it? It looked great, but more like something a custom shop would make than a police department buy. I've got guesses, but looking for answers:

Portable lab with fume vents?
Portable generators with exhaust vents?
Morgue transport with vents to prevent odors in driver compartment?
Climate control for lots of heat producing electronics?
Recently went to the Big Dig in Massachusettes and haven't fixed the damage from the falling pipes because it looks cool, and makes neat organ music sounds at high speeds?

It was a great looking truck, but very high tech and different looking.

Thoughts?

KSFreeman
03-05-2007, 06:44
State po-po or DNR, just my guess.

TLHelmer
03-05-2007, 06:49
Hey Eric!

I haven't seen that one, but it may be an ISP vehicle anyway. The guys up north get stuff before the guys south of US40 get it all the time.

boilergonzo
03-05-2007, 13:38
Hey, Trev! Beutter had a baby girl on Thursday.

It didn't look like anything normal that will be widely distributed. Just one of those specialized odd things you rarely see.

For example, after witnessing a suicide from a downtown Chicago building, I was surprised at the number of white vehicles equipped with steam, bleach, and guys in full biohazard suits for clean-up. Never knew they existed until I saw them cleaning up the splatter site.

TLHelmer
03-05-2007, 19:40
Rumor has it that we are getting specialized vehicles for our Emergency Response Teams, but we haven't received them yet.

How is Brian doing?