Relocating to TX / DFW [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Relocating to TX / DFW

SMOKEin
03-05-2007, 07:37
Hey guys.. Hopefully moving to the DFW area by the end of the year.. I could bore you with questions about housing and boating, etc.. but lets stick to the fun stuff, pistols.. I know TX honors NY permits, but im not sure if it becomes "void" once i actually move there..

How hard is it to get yor CCW in TX?

Do they get issued by the county clerk/local judge ?

thx guys

gmckinl
03-05-2007, 09:27
Hey, I get to be the first to say WELCOME! CHL is state controlled. As far as I know, there are no local issues/regulations/controls anywhere in TX similiar to what I understand exist in places like NY City v/s NY State.

on edit...
look here for TX info http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm

bluelineman
03-05-2007, 22:32
CHL in TX is easy to get. It is issued by the state. $140 application fee to state, CHL course, application, pics, fingerprints, background info. After you've done your part, it usually takes up to 60 days for you to get your CHL. Get your TX drivers license & take a CHL course as soon as you get here to speed things up a bit. Good luck & welcome! Check the link above for all the good stuff.

dubyah
03-06-2007, 15:32
NY to Texas! That's the ticket!
You'll find lots of info about Texas CHL here: Texas CHL Forum (http://www.texaschlforum.com/)

SMOKEin
03-06-2007, 18:29
Originally posted by dubyah
NY to Texas!

Yall got that right!!!! did i get that right :animlol:

Thanks for the links guys.. It looks like my NY permitt is now valid in TX too.. Soon enough Ill be hitting you up re. communities and places to dock our boat.. Thanks again!:thumbsup:

Nosmik
03-11-2007, 10:52
If your NY is valid here and you still got a few years until it expires, you can use it here. I called txdps for mine (FL CCW that expires in 09) and they say it is ok to use it.

The total cost would be $260. for application, prints and class.

Walter45Auto
03-16-2007, 20:56
Originally posted by dubyah
NY to Texas! That's the ticket!
You'll find lots of info about Texas CHL here: Texas CHL Forum (http://www.texaschlforum.com/)

Yeah, SMOKEin, buddy. You're gonna be in a gun lover's paradise! It's easy to get the TX CHL. State issued, county sheriff or city has nothing to do with it.

Oh, and just so you know.... Even when you become one of us, we'll still call you a Yankee and make fun of how you talk.:supergrin:

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

RPBROWN
03-17-2007, 07:28
Originally posted by Walter45Auto
Yeah, SMOKEin, buddy. You're gonna be in a gun lover's paradise! It's easy to get the TX CHL. State issued, county sheriff or city has nothing to do with it.

Oh, and just so you know.... Even when you become one of us, we'll still call you a Yankee and make fun of how you talk.:supergrin:

Of course anyone from north of the Red River is still considered a yankee.

SMOKEin
03-19-2007, 17:24

Can I still call you guys...................... :tongueout:

SMOKEin
03-19-2007, 17:25
Originally posted by RPBROWN
Of course anyone from north of the Red River is still considered a yankee.

Red what? :supergrin:

Walter45Auto
03-19-2007, 17:37
Originally posted by SMOKEin
Can I still call you guys...................... :tongueout:

Yessssss?????:tongueout:

SMOKEin
03-20-2007, 19:10
Gun lovers paradise... I KNOW!!!! I cant wait.. I need Standard Caps and a SBR then ill be happy.. you guys better make sure no dumbasss laws get passed before I move there!! till i think of something else :supergrin:

One of the biggest reasons is actually the fishing.. me and the wifey love boating and she's great with a rod in her hand :shocked:

mbsigman
03-21-2007, 23:23
Welcome to Texas!

Heads up:

"Y'all" is a word.

"Fixin' to" is considered proper grammar, as is "All y'all."

Barbecue and football are considered religions here, especially high school football.

We don't wash our cars, we "warsh" them.

Gunshows here are terrific. Go. Bring cash or checks!

Beer is cheap.

People drive fast. But make sure you wear your seat belt!

It is extremely bad form to be out riding your bike or jogging and not say 'howdy' to anyone that passes you. This is an action guaranteed to get you dirty looks up north (I know firsthand!) but everyone here says howdy to everyone else.

Welcome!!

Mike
Reformed Yankee

SMOKEin
03-22-2007, 15:52
Originally posted by mbsigman
Welcome to Texas!

Heads up:

"Y'all" is a word.

"Fixin' to" is considered proper grammar, as is "All y'all."

Barbecue and football are considered religions here, especially high school football.

We don't wash our cars, we "warsh" them.

Gunshows here are terrific. Go. Bring cash or checks!

Beer is cheap.

People drive fast. But make sure you wear your seat belt!

It is extremely bad form to be out riding your bike or jogging and not say 'howdy' to anyone that passes you. This is an action guaranteed to get you dirty looks up north (I know firsthand!) but everyone here says howdy to everyone else.

Welcome!!

Mike
Reformed Yankee

Thanks for the tips!! I'm fixin to pick all yall brains again when the time comes for finding a builder/community.. Thank again..

Walter45Auto
03-22-2007, 18:23
About gun shows... Cash is best. I've tried checks. Most vendors don't take them. About builders, STAY AWAY FROM KB HOMES! I reccomend Horizon and Highland (Which are actually the same company really.).

Lykoi
03-22-2007, 19:29
Thanks for the tips!! I'm fixin to pick all yall brains again when the time comes for finding a builder/community.. Thank again..

correction... fixin' makes you sound like you came from Arkansas and nobody wants that...

in that specific sentence i'd modify it a bit..
"I'm going to pick all yall's brains when the time comes...."

SMOKEin
03-22-2007, 19:42
About gun shows... Cash is best. I've tried checks. Most vendors don't take them. About builders, STAY AWAY FROM KB HOMES! I reccomend Horizon and Highland (Which are actually the same company really.).

funny you say that, my wife loves Horizon.. But she thinks we should buy a house based on the builders web site :upeyes:

Grand was a top contender, but seemed to really slip with there customer service..

Walter45Auto
03-22-2007, 20:17
I hear that K. Hovnanion has a bad cusomer service reputation too. I have some friends who just bought a David Weekly that they're pretty happy with.

SMOKEin
03-24-2007, 08:37
I hear that K. Hovnanion has a bad cusomer service reputation too. I have some friends who just bought a David Weekly that they're pretty happy with.

Noted. Thank you again!

Walter45Auto
03-24-2007, 12:16
No problem!

AggieAK
03-28-2007, 19:59
Do they get issued by the county clerk/local judge ?

iirc Texas has this neat little clause that keeps any county or municipality from adopting different gun laws than what the state has enacted... like ny state v nyc differences... get your txdl asap, and take the class to get txchl... btw the shooting test was developed with 80 year-old grandmas in mind. i think that if you make all of the really close shots, that you can miss all of the farthest shots and still pass. have fun, and defend your castle

Lykoi
03-29-2007, 01:36
Originally posted by AggieAK
iirc Texas has this neat little clause that keeps any county or municipality from adopting different gun laws than what the state has enacted... like ny state v nyc differences... get your txdl asap, and take the class to get txchl... btw the shooting test was developed with 80 year-old grandmas in mind. i think that if you make all of the really close shots, that you can miss all of the farthest shots and still pass. have fun, and defend your castle

it's true if you shoot anywhere in the target on the 3yd and 7yd lines you will not fail... i took my renewal with a young kid who had never shot a pistol in his life and was using a friends taurus .45.... he managed to pass without any problem.

SMOKEin
03-30-2007, 19:30
Originally posted by AggieAK

contrary to the common belief, ccw in nys was easy.. filled out the request, took a class and a week later i had it.. talking about the class brought back memories, i kid you not that the guy next to me shot the ceiling SEVERAL times and only hit the entire target a handfull of times.. saw him a few moths later carrying his g19..

so can you own pistols but not carry until i get "certified"? like just in your home?

Lykoi
03-31-2007, 15:44
so can you own pistols but not carry until i get "certified"? like just in your home?

you can carry in your car "if traveling" see packing.org for the fun specifics on that one...

you can carry at home/private property all you want... but you cannot conceal carry in public w/o getting your CHL...

it is however much easier to purchase and carry whatever you want in TX as our CHL's are not weapon specific and it doesn't have to be added to a permit of any kind... buying a handgun takes about 30minutes as you fill out the form and they simply call in to confirm your lack of felony history etc... no extra registry etc... just take it home and load it up.

nate527
04-07-2007, 21:41
Built a Horizon almost 4 years ago abd have been very happy. It was our first house and, of course, we have decided all the stuff we would now like to have. Careful on the David Weekly- there is a neighborhood in the city I work in that have had foundation probs. Of course it could be the "s" we have for dirt eastof Dallas. PM me if you have any questions about the area.

aerod1
04-08-2007, 08:43
Welcome to Texas! If you are into guns, I think you will like it here. CHL is easy to get and the course and qualification is really quite fun.
The communities east of Lake Ray Hubbard are nice areas.
It is nice to see someone crossing the Red instead of the Rio Grande!:wavey:

Walter45Auto
04-08-2007, 12:20
Originally posted by Lykoi
you can carry in your car "if traveling" see packing.org for the fun specifics on that one...

you can carry at home/private property all you want... but you cannot conceal carry in public w/o getting your CHL...

it is however much easier to purchase and carry whatever you want in TX as our CHL's are not weapon specific and it doesn't have to be added to a permit of any kind... buying a handgun takes about 30minutes as you fill out the form and they simply call in to confirm your lack of felony history etc... no extra registry etc... just take it home and load it up.

The gun in the car has to be concealed.

You forgot to add the real beauty of having a CHL. WHEN BUYING A GUN, YOUR CHL IS YOUR BACKGROUND CHECK!:banana: JUST LAY HER ON THE COUNTER, the dealer writes down the chl number on the form, and you WALK OUT WITH YOUR NEW GUN!:2gun: No wait, no delays on the busy gun buying days (Which are Friday and Saturday, I was told by a dealer friend of mine.). And BTW, Qualify with a Semiauto, so you can carry whatever type of handgun you want. If you qual with a revolver, you can't carry a Semiauto. (You may have been told this already. I forgot. But here it is in case we forgot to.)