Practice/Clinic [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Practice/Clinic

GLW
03-05-2007, 18:30
A couple of you have expressed interest in an informal workshop to improve your performance in local competitions. I thought I would see how many of you would like to get together and work on specific skills and drills.

The first topic I thought we could focus on is trigger control. It is the most important aspect of good marksmanship and is the root cause of most poor performance. I have some ideas that may help shrink those groups down a bit and some drills you can use to practice that skill. This practice will be applicable to all types of competition from GSSF to IPSC and to all skill levels.

I've discussed the idea with Barry, who is the owner of Openrange. He is aboard and would give us exclusive use of one of the pistol ranges assuming we have several participants to make it worth his while. The only cost to you will be the range fee for the time we spend. I have asked for and will receive no compensation. To keep the cost to a minimum, I thought we could limit the time on the range by starting off in the class room discussing some theory and doing some dryfire drills. Then we can head out to the range for some live fire exercises. I was thinking of next Monday, starting around 6:30pm and ending around 8:00. We would need around 5 people to make this work.

If this sounds like something you would like to do, either reply to this thread or pm me. If it proves to be of value, we could address other topics such as sight picture for different target presentations, reload drills, position shooting, etc.

I will have to confirm this with Barry after I know what kind of interest there is. Again, I get nothing out of this except the pleasure of working with my friends, but we need to make it worthwhile to the range to get the bays to ourselves for an hour or so. Think it over and let me know. Hope to see you on the range.

Berretta9
03-05-2007, 18:42
I'm in. Anytime Grady is willing to talk, ya need to listen.

45gunner
03-05-2007, 19:12
Count me in.

45gunner
03-05-2007, 19:13
Originally posted by Berretta9
I'm in. Anytime Grady is willing to talk, ya need to listen.

Read your PM Beretta

cpolk
03-05-2007, 20:06
Grady, count me in.

Lwolfnky
03-05-2007, 21:17
How much are we looking at for range time?? I would like to come, I will have to check on how early I would have to leave from Frankfort to get there.

JeepWrangler
03-05-2007, 23:00
I would like to go but I have a training meeting for work that I can't miss at 5pm and I do not know when it lets out. Maybe someone could take notes or something and email or post them? I haven't shot in months and it would do me good just to see what I'm doing well/not so well.
-Paul

TeamSpringfield
03-06-2007, 12:59
A second to posting a Outline or some of the highlights that we could discuss here on GT would be nice and serves as a follow up to the training/clinic.

TS

TheGirl
03-06-2007, 16:34
Grady - please count me in

nighthunter30
03-06-2007, 17:56
I am in if there till room!!

Crazy4nitro
03-06-2007, 22:13
Hello,
Pardon Me as I'm a nOOb here..
Where will this Be held at?

Crazy4nitro

GLW
03-07-2007, 06:42
This will be held at Openrange indoor shooting range in Crestwood, Ky. You can check them out at www.openrangesports.com

I will have more details after I talk with the owner. I just wanted to see if there was going to be enough interest in a format like this and it appears that there is. I'll try and finalize everything today. Thanks for the inquiry and if you want more information feel free to pm me.

Grady

SmithShooter
03-07-2007, 18:17
I am definitely interested.

Edit: Unfortunately, i dont get off early enough to participate :(

Still, Im sure it will be a fantastic time for the rest of you!

GLW
03-07-2007, 20:27
Well, I talked with Barry today and we are still on for next Monday. I did not realize that they close at 7pm on Mondays so we will have to start an hour earlier. If we could meet at 5:30 and be on the range by 6:00, we will have an hour to run through some drills before they close the doors at 7:00. This will be plenty of time to establish some good practice exercises that you can work on long term.

I know this is pushing it for some who get off work at 5:00 so let me know how many can still participate. Thanks again for your interest and I hope to see you at the range.

TreehugginGlock
03-07-2007, 21:16
Well I don't get out of work til 6, so I guess that lets me out. Hope some of the attendees will pass on the knowledge some time when we all get together.

45gunner
03-07-2007, 21:18
Originally posted by GLW
Well, I talked with Barry today and we are still on for next Monday. I did not realize that they close at 7pm on Mondays so we will have to start an hour earlier. If we could meet at 5:30 and be on the range by 6:00, we will have an hour to run through some drills before they close the doors at 7:00. This will be plenty of time to establish some good practice exercises that you can work on long term.

I know this is pushing it for some who get off work at 5:00 so let me know how many can still participate. Thanks again for your interest and I hope to see you at the range.

I can still be there.

GLW
03-09-2007, 15:21
I still have not heard from enough of you to know if the 5:30-7:00 time slot at Openrange is going to work. Our only option would be to reschedule for another time and/or place that has later hours. It will have to be after the following weekend and possibly after the Ft. Benning/Gunny match the weekend after that. I'm happy to accommodate the majority so let me know what you wish to do. If you have questions, feel free to pm me. Hope to see you there. Grady

45gunner
03-09-2007, 18:21
Well Grady if you don't show on Monday I will be there on Tuesdays and Thursdays from now on.

My wife bought me a membership there and my money is better spent practcing then attending matches.

TeamSpringfield
03-09-2007, 18:55
Originally posted by 45gunner
Well Grady if you don't show on Monday I will be there on Tuesdays and Thursdays from now on.

My wife bought me a membership there and my money is better spent practcing then attending matches.

45.... Surely you are kidding???? :sad: :sad: :sad:

TS

45gunner
03-09-2007, 19:04
Originally posted by TeamSpringfield
45.... Surely you are kidding???? :sad: :sad: :sad:

TS

I love to shoot with everyone but I really want to concentrate on practcing to get better in IPSC shooting. I want to be a B shooter by the end of the year.

The matches are a lot of fun and I will still show up occasionally but not like I used to.

TeamSpringfield
03-09-2007, 19:08
That Sucks :sad: .. I do understand... I have been doing alot of practice outside of BIR myself. I am trying to get back to my old form. I am starting to turn the corner now.

Come back soon.

TS

cpolk
03-09-2007, 20:19
Grady, the time works for me. I'll be there on Monday.

GLW
03-09-2007, 22:04
That's great!

I'll see all who can make it there at 5:30.

Even if you can't make it for the briefing, come join us on the range at 6:00.

Have a great weekend.

Grady

TreehugginGlock
03-10-2007, 13:56

My wife bought me a membership there and my money is better spent practcing then attending matches. That's a bummer that you won't be shooting with us for a while. Didn't realize my outshooting you would hurt your feelings as much as it must have. :poke: You're just in a slump right now, gunner. If it helps, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to come out and play with the boys this Thursday (work related appearance must be made :yuck: ), so you won't have to out shoot me this time. I know the rest of the boys will miss you too. Hope you're not gone too long. :sadangel:

45gunner
03-10-2007, 21:04
Originally posted by TreehugginGlock
That's a bummer that you won't be shooting with us for a while. Didn't realize my outshooting you would hurt your feelings as much as it must have. :poke: You're just in a slump right now, gunner. If it helps, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to come out and play with the boys this Thursday (work related appearance must be made :yuck: ), so you won't have to out shoot me this time. I know the rest of the boys will miss you too. Hope you're not gone too long. :sadangel:

Whew! I relieved. The pressure is too much for me.

Berretta9
03-11-2007, 08:23
You don't consider shooting matches as good practice ???

45gunner
03-11-2007, 14:31
It is practice for you if you don't shoot anything otherwise.

I consider practice somthing I can do that allows me to try different things while trying to shoot better in which I get immediate feedback and can gauge if I'm improving.

I typically do this with my Pact timer hanging from my belt
and kept trying and changing until I notice an improvement and can change what I am doing and try again immediately.

The event should not be a social get together.

Im not knocking matches but matches are not the place to practice.

Your performance in match is a reflection of how much you have practiced.

45gunner
03-12-2007, 19:15
Grady's Clinic focused on one basic concept. The importance of trigger control relative to other mechnical fundementals in shooting like grip and site picture or sight alignment.

Some points of discussion:

The importance of seperating practice from just plinking as in some matches.

The importance of good trigger control relative to things like gripping the gun or good site picture and alignment.

The relative importance of the mechnics of shooting vs the mental aspect.

The importance of measuring your performance while shooting some simple targets under different levels of press while emphasing good trigger control. This is the a way to know if your improving.

The fact that while shooting the gun cannot be held perfectly still. While shooting, the focus should be on keeping the sight within a small circle on the target, while firing the shot with good trigger control.

In a string of shots don't worry about the group but concentrate on each individual shot one at a time.

We shot about 100 rounds and had five people including Barry of Open Range participate.

Grady, as alway, did a super job!

As always Openrange's staff was very helpful and kept us all very safe while the training took place. Openrange is a really great place to shoot.

We went out and ate afterwards and had a good time talking about 1911 vs Glock, Rob Leatham vs Brian Enos and other important stuff.

45gunner
03-12-2007, 19:30
TreeHuggin would not have like the clinic because there was not enough socializing and not enough unmarried men.

fryeg7
03-12-2007, 19:35
please post if you all are planning on doing this again. mondays are bad for me, so tonight was out, but i would like to participate as well as check out the crestwood range.

frye

whw
03-12-2007, 20:19
Thanks to Grady for an excellent session concentrating on trigger control.

whw

TreehugginGlock
03-12-2007, 20:49
TreeHuggin would not have like the clinic because there was not enough socializing and not enough unmarried men. :sadangel: Well, I was going to post a reply to you on another thread that said you were being too hard on yourself and that no one beats Grady or Marvin unless they just really screw up that day, but since you've decided to make me sad....well...forget it. Forgive me for enjoying visiting and learning from my friends,well, at least I think they are my friends. Perhaps I'm mistaken and I'm just a pest. :sadangel:

45gunner
03-12-2007, 21:07
Originally posted by TreehugginGlock
:sadangel: Well, I was going to post a reply to you on another thread that said you were being too hard on yourself and that no one beats Grady or Marvin unless they just really screw up that day, but since you've decided to make me sad....well...forget it. Forgive me for enjoying visiting and learning from my friends,well, at least I think they are my friends. Perhaps I'm mistaken and I'm just a pest. :sadangel:

After taking a few more lessons from GLW(NOT GREAT LOOKING WOMENT) Treehuggin, I may be able to beat you.

Your a nice pest.

:hugs:

nighthunter30
03-12-2007, 21:18
Originally posted by whw
Thanks to Grady for an excellent session concentrating on trigger control.

whw

+++++ 1 :thumbsup:

Terminator
03-12-2007, 22:55
Were really going to talk about the timing of these clinics. i miss everything. :sad:

SmithShooter
03-13-2007, 09:25
As always, it sounds like some fantastic training. Im dissapointed my schedule precluded attendence.