AR building party? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR building party?

KSFreeman
03-06-2007, 08:05
On other forums (THR, ARF) people are organizing AR-15 building parties where people get together and help each other assemble AR-15s.

Is there any interest among Indiana GTers? Like a quilting circle but with guns.:supergrin:

epsylum
03-06-2007, 08:12
I would be interested if I had an AR to build. ;)

minuteman32
03-06-2007, 09:03
I'll have to get a stripped lower (maybe @ the next 1500). If I do, I'd be moderately interested.:thumbsup:

IPDBrad
03-06-2007, 09:38
Do you mean playing with evil black assault weapons?

The automatic killer rifles?

Aaahh, if only I had one.

KSFreeman
03-06-2007, 09:47
You can build your own and save a few hundred bucks.:)

Lowers run from $105 to Sun Devils at $140. My brother bought some Superior Arms lowers for $100 a pop in January at the last gun show.

We need to find a Gun Guru and sit at his feet and learn how to build our own guns. I thought this would be an opportunity to increase our knowledge and network.:)

rhino465
03-06-2007, 09:52
I'm not allowed to use tools.

Shooter521 may be a good choice for "guru." He's been to Sully's armorer's school.

Patrick Graham
03-06-2007, 10:06
I'm thinking about building a 16" upper.. I have all the tools left over from previous builds.. including a torque wrench...

I just don't have all the parts yet...

KSFreeman
03-06-2007, 10:08
Because of my known superpower to break revolvers (Ruger, Colt, Smith, FN) and my ability to reverse operation of a Swedish Mauser upon reassembly, I am court-ordered not to own gunsmith tools without supervision. I just need to find a Sifu of Self-Loaders.

I just hope we don't have to stand in horse stance while holding an AR across our arms as an incense stick burns.:shocked:

minuteman32
03-06-2007, 10:10
Pardon my ignorance, but is one lower as good as another? I'm assuming that there is some difference, but not being the engeneering type (sorry rhino), I'm not sure that I'd appreciate the differences. Feel free to educate me on this, if you like.

KSFreeman
03-06-2007, 10:40
Mil-spec is mil-spec, however as with cooks who have certain set receipes some guys (especially the target rifle set) have certain brands they prefer. IMHO it is how everything is assembled that controls (e.g. quality of the barrel, trigger, etc.).

For our purposes I don't think it matters as I just want to educate to be educated on how to build them.:)

minuteman32
03-06-2007, 11:10
Mucho grassy ass!

ShackleMeNot
03-06-2007, 12:05
I've taken Sully's Armorer course. If you guys need some help building lowers I don't mind helping.

mpholic
03-06-2007, 15:46
Hopefully it is OK if I devulge this info...but SJStill is an AR15 armor also.

My first AR I bought as a complete rifle. My second I bought as a complete upper and a complete lower and snapped the two halves together. I have tinkered with it some (added a single point sling adaptor).

I am very seriously thinking about a third (24" Varmint). You can get Rock River lowers (stripped)from ADCO for $120.00. I think I might build this third lower. I don't know about the upper though. I have a torque wrench and barrel wrenchs/multi tools are easy to come by. I am going to compare prices of fully assembled uppers and all the component parts and see what the difference is.

biggl35
03-06-2007, 15:58
If you need any tools, just let me know. I am not a documented AR armorer, but I know my way around the AR very well.

mpholic
03-06-2007, 15:58
A quick check of the Rock River website shows upper parts exceeding the costof a complete upper.

I'm sure if you did a lot of searching you might be able to come up with the parts costing less than whole I'll check a little more.

sjstill
03-06-2007, 19:48
Technically, I'm a Certified AR Maintenance Tech, but I've had 'em all apart and put 'em back together with no parts left over. :animlol:

I'd be up for the technical assistance, if needed. Got most of the tools necessary.

rhino465
03-06-2007, 22:17
The question is, where would we have such a party?

Could we get the classroom at the Eagle Creek range?

mpholic
03-07-2007, 06:38
Well I talked to the "boss" last night and she gave me the green light to build another AR. I told her I wanted to build a varmint model for shooting pdogs and the like and she said that sounds like fun. :wow:

I usually get "why do you need ANOTHER gun" or "go ahead if you think you HAVE too". Her positive response was quite unexpected.:banana:

minuteman32
03-07-2007, 07:55
Originally posted by mpholic
Well I talked to the "boss" last night and she gave me the green light to build another AR. I told her I wanted to build a varmint model for shooting pdogs and the like and she said that sounds like fun. :wow:

I usually get "why do you need ANOTHER gun" or "go ahead if you think you HAVE too". Her positive response was quite unexpected.:banana:

Sounds like their are some new, VERY expensive, drapes/jewelry/etc. in someones future!:supergrin:

mpholic
03-07-2007, 08:10
Originally posted by minuteman32
Sounds like their are some new, VERY expensive, drapes/jewelry/etc. in someones future!:supergrin:

Good point, I will start looking for the inevitable hints of what she wants and try to surprise her.

More brownie points. :thumbsup:

biggl35
03-07-2007, 12:52
I just thought of something we could also do at a build party.

I can give anyone who is interested in building an SBR, a quick walk-thru on the paperwork process. It seems some folks get a little intimidated by the paperwork, I can clear some things up for you.

minuteman32
03-07-2007, 12:54
Originally posted by biggl35

I can give anyone who is interested in building an SBR, a quick walk-thru on the paperwork process. It seems some folks get a little intimidated by the paperwork, I can clear some things up for you.

I thought you just put the paper under the vice before you use the hacksaw?!:supergrin:

Juskiddin'

mpholic
03-07-2007, 13:16
Originally posted by biggl35

That would be helpful.

sjstill
03-07-2007, 19:03
Originally posted by rhino465
The question is, where would we have such a party?

Could we get the classroom at the Eagle Creek range?

That's a grand idea, Rhino!! Fairly central location, etc. Let me know when, and I'll get it set up!

rhino465
03-07-2007, 22:39
Hah!

First I need to find a decent lower or rifle in a private transfer. Then I need to have the money for it. Then need the money for parts. Then I can party!

rkba_net
03-08-2007, 03:25
Originally posted by KSFreeman
Mil-spec is mil-spec,
snipped

There is of course no such thing as a mil-spec semi AR-15...

cougar_guy04
03-08-2007, 14:15
Once I get ahold of a lower, parts kit, and stock . . . I'd be game.

Any suggestions who to look up for AR stuff at the 1500?

KSFreeman
03-09-2007, 05:39
rkba, please tell us the distinction?

Can you lead the class then?:supergrin:

mpholic
03-09-2007, 06:22
Originally posted by KSFreeman
rkba, please tell us the distinction?

Can you lead the class then?:supergrin:

I beleive he is referring to the possibility that the Military Specification call for Select Fire.

That one item aside though I think it is still useful to use mil spec parts for compatibility. I recently discovered that CAR lower receiver extension tubes are not mil spec and MagPul CTRs wont fit. Things like this are the reason we refer to mil spec.

sjstill
03-09-2007, 09:32
IIRC, Magpul makes a non-Mil-spec CTR.

Let's just call what is available to the Citizen (I detest the term civilian.....) market Cit-spec :rofl: :rofl:

mpholic
03-09-2007, 09:38
Originally posted by sjstill
IIRC, Magpul makes a non-Mil-spec CTR.

Yea, we talked about that Saturday. I was just trying to make a point of how useful mil spec can be to us.

usaf207cwf
03-09-2007, 12:08
is that another new word you made up there steve...

along with uni-tone...:banana: :rofl:

i would love to attend a gathering, if not to build my own, then just to socialize

mpholic
03-09-2007, 12:48
If we're really going to do this I need to make sure my parts will be here on time.

Lower should be at the gun shop today or Monday but I haven't ordered the LPK yet. Let me know.

Masque
03-09-2007, 15:07
Guess I should jump in here now that I live in IN. :)

I'd be up for this. I could use some advance warning, though, as it'd be supernice to have a lower and parts and so on together.

So, let's plan on... April?

sjstill
03-09-2007, 19:55
OK, if we do it at Eagle Creek, it would need to be April 7 or 8 (or both), or wait until May (or later).

mpholic
03-10-2007, 19:51
OK, if we do it at Eagle Creek, it would need to be April 7 or 8 (or both), or wait until May (or later).

Does it have to be a Saturday or Sunday?

Why can't it be a Thursday or Friday evening? Do we need a full day?

If we can accomplish this in a four hour meeting (or two 4 hour meetings)I can make most Thursday or Friday evenings.

How much advance notice does everyone need to collect their parts. I could be ready as early as March 22 - 23. If we have it on April 7 or 8 who 's going to mind the store (range)?

sjstill
03-11-2007, 06:33
Friday nights are the only weeknight open. They're starting in-services for all shifts, and will be out there through the week until 2200 or so.

I DO have access to the conference room at the park office. It is usually clear after 1700 weekdays.

mpholic
03-12-2007, 05:49

I DO have access to the conference room at the park office. It is usually clear after 1700 weekdays.

Sounds good. Let's get the ball rolling or should I say AR's building. :drillsgt:

mpholic
03-15-2007, 06:33
Did this idea die?? :ambulance:

No activity for a couple of days. :yawn: