What's up with Florida? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Florida?

iiibbb
03-06-2007, 18:43
http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/view_page.pl?Tab=session&Submenu=1&FT=D&File=sb2266.html&Directory=session/2007/Senate/bills/billtext/html/

What gives guys?

LurkMastR
03-06-2007, 19:05
Hey, we can't help if it some of those politicians are idiots. :shakehead: Heck, we're just learning how to count votes.

Mr. Blandings
03-06-2007, 19:07
Florida State Senator Frederica S. Wilson's official Senate member page. (http://www.flsenate.gov/Legislators/index.cfm?Members=View+Page&District_Num_Link=033&Submenu=1&Tab=legislators&chamber=Senate&CFID=30001134&CFTOKEN=97533352)

Dandapani
03-06-2007, 19:44
Originally posted by Mr. Blandings
Florida State Senator Frederica S. Wilson's official Senate member page. (http://www.flsenate.gov/Legislators/index.cfm?Members=View+Page&District_Num_Link=033&Submenu=1&Tab=legislators&chamber=Senate&CFID=30001134&CFTOKEN=97533352)

Miami Dummocrap...

flyandscuba
03-06-2007, 19:49
Somehow...I knew what the picture would look like...before the website opened... :rofl:

The bill will never pass and is all for show -- to appear to her constituents that she is doing something of substance.

njl
03-06-2007, 21:08
Actually, I had a crazy thought the other day. Any politicos or attorneys in the house?

The FL Constitution is far to easy to amend. Some of you may recall recent amendments that actually passed (like governing the treatment of pigs!).

What are the odds we could pass a FL Constitutional amendment along the lines of:

In order to protect the right of the people to keep and bear arms, as of [insert current date here] FL shall not pass any additional laws, amend any existing laws, or allow any executive orders placing limitations on the type or number of firearms, ammunition, or related accessories which may be owned or possessed by those who are not prohibited by Federal law from owning such things.

The idea is to basically amend the state Constitution such that state firearms law is frozen as it is today....because lets face it, it's only likely to get worse with wingnuts like Frederica Wilson wasting space in the Senate.

loki993
03-07-2007, 10:16
sounds like a great idea to me.

najaboy
03-07-2007, 16:38
Originally posted by njl
Actually, I had a crazy thought the other day. Any politicos or attorneys in the house?

The FL Constitution is far to easy to amend. Some of you may recall recent amendments that actually passed (like governing the treatment of pigs!).

What are the odds we could pass a FL Constitutional amendment along the lines of:

In order to protect the right of the people to keep and bear arms, as of [insert current date here] FL shall not pass any additional laws, amend any existing laws, or allow any executive orders placing limitations on the type or number of firearms, ammunition, or related accessories which may be owned or possessed by those who are not prohibited by Federal law from owning such things.

The idea is to basically amend the state Constitution such that state firearms law is frozen as it is today....because lets face it, it's only likely to get worse with wingnuts like Frederica Wilson wasting space in the Senate.
The odds are reduced now that the bar has been raised. In the past, only a simple majority of 50% +1 was needed to pass a Constitutional amendment. After the passage of Amendment 3 this past November, all future amendments require at least a 60% majority to pass.

NGWT
03-08-2007, 14:58
Originally posted by iiibbb
http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/view_page.pl?Tab=session&Submenu=1&FT=D&File=sb2266.html&Directory=session/2007/Senate/bills/billtext/html/

What gives guys?

NGWT
03-08-2007, 14:58
Originally posted by iiibbb

Hey, we can't help if it some of those politicians are idiots. Heck, we're just learning how to count votes.

Wow. Itchy trigger finger :)

Most of us can count votes (and use voting machines) just fine. It's those damn carpetbaggers down in South FL. that can't do either. And, gee, that's where Sen Wilson is from.

geekboy
03-08-2007, 15:32
Just feel-good politics. They must be out of their minds (those democ-RATS). You see, first you change the definition of "assault weapon" by adding the word "semi-automatic" to it and then defining it as any weapon with more than 5 rounds! That would get just about every pistol and rifle off the streets. Not that the criminals care.

http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com

Gmountain
03-08-2007, 17:06
Geez, one lone nut job introduces some legislation and you guys are immediately lumping every Democrat in with her. This legislation has no chance of passing. It's just out there so she can say she did it.

geekboy
03-08-2007, 17:13
Originally posted by Gmountain
Geez, one lone nut job introduces some legislation and you guys are immediately lumping every Democrat in with her. This legislation has no chance of passing. It's just out there so she can say she did it. Not to be argumentative, but, are you saying that if this went to a vote on the floor, that the majority of Democrats won't vote for it? I agree that there are extremes in liberalism as well as on the conservative end. However, gun control is a liberal issue and how would a Democrat not vote with their base?

The reason I ask and jumped back into this fracas, is because I think that both sides just pander to their consituencies like many (not all) modern musicians pander to the fans... for money and fame... not just for the music. (I don't know if I explained that right or not. But, politics is becoming more and more commerical each day and it's all about control, power, and money. All you need is power, then you get the other two. I would never want to do things that purely appease some type of voter, just because I want their votes. I should not be some sort of "yes man" jellyfish.)

Gmountain
03-08-2007, 18:33
Originally posted by geekboy
Not to be argumentative, but, are you saying that if this went to a vote on the floor, that the majority of Democrats won't vote for it? I agree that there are extremes in liberalism as well as on the conservative end. However, gun control is a liberal issue and how would a Democrat not vote with their base?

Gun control is a gun control issue. It crosses party lines. Ask Rudy Guiliani.

The Florida House and Senate, and the Governor have been strong supporters of gun rights. Both sides of the aisle. Florida Democrats are NOT New York Democrats, and they come from rural counties, as well as cities.

geekboy
03-08-2007, 18:42

The Florida House and Senate, and the Governor have been strong supporters of gun rights. Both sides of the aisle. Florida Democrats are NOT New York Democrats, and they come from rural counties, as well as cities. Of course you are accurate in stating that, in Florida, gun control isn't really an issue. Florida has been traditionally a pioneer in the right of the people to keep and bear arms. My only concern is the political climate. I know that not everyone in the party votes along a line or a particular idea; that wasn't the point of what I wrote in the second paragraph.

What I was trying to say, and didn't say so well is, what if the party finds that they can get more votes by siding with this one particular Democrat's issues. (Sure there could even be independents and replublicans who vote that way too... that's always a given.)

I actually hope that this is an isolated single-minded individual's attempt to stir up some publicity. I hope that it's not a political movement within a party (or even supra party) to find an issue that they can use to get them elected/re-elected.

I have the same issue on pro-choice. Just doing it to align with your party is ridiculous.

I stand by my use of the word pandering to describe this particular instance. I only hope that it doesn't turn into a party movement (or supra party movement), and actually reaches a vote on the Florida State House floor.

NGWT
03-08-2007, 21:09

The Florida House and Senate, and the Governor have been strong supporters of gun rights. Both sides of the aisle. Florida Democrats are NOT New York Democrats, and they come from rural counties, as well as cities.

South Florida Democrats ARE New York Democrats.

Gmountain
03-09-2007, 06:57
Originally posted by geekboy
Of course you are accurate in stating that, in Florida, gun control isn't really an issue. Florida has been traditionally a pioneer in the right of the people to keep and bear arms. My only concern is the political climate. I know that not everyone in the party votes along a line or a particular idea; that wasn't the point of what I wrote in the second paragraph.

What I was trying to say, and didn't say so well is, what if the party finds that they can get more votes by siding with this one particular Democrat's issues. (Sure there could even be independents and replublicans who vote that way too... that's always a given.)

I actually hope that this is an isolated single-minded individual's attempt to stir up some publicity. I hope that it's not a political movement within a party (or even supra party) to find an issue that they can use to get them elected/re-elected.

I have the same issue on pro-choice. Just doing it to align with your party is ridiculous.

I stand by my use of the word pandering to describe this particular instance. I only hope that it doesn't turn into a party movement (or supra party movement), and actually reaches a vote on the Florida State House floor.

Okay, we do agree.

Gmountain
03-09-2007, 06:58
Originally posted by NGWT
South Florida Democrats ARE New York Democrats.

True....