Hunting Pistol Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Pistol Question

fieldfocker.45
03-07-2007, 20:05
I am looking to get a scope for my Colt Python .357mag. It has a 6" barrel, and will be used for hunting deer in Ohio. Does anyone have any recommendations on which scope mounting system to use and what scope would be good? I am on a limited budget.

Thanks in advance.

noway
03-08-2007, 00:57
a weaver classic 2x scope would/could be bought right around $150 from midway.Can't help you on the mount thing .

vafish
03-09-2007, 15:02
I've had good luck with B-Square mounts on revolvers in the past.

Looks like they make one for the Python that clamps to the vented rib on the barrel. My only fear with that is that you would bugger up the rib on your python.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-12-2007, 11:04
You could also just not scope it.

I say this because I've taken deer with my un-scoped .44 mag. I've shot with lots of other guys with their scoped pistols and very few have actually ever shot a deer with a pistol.

If you go un-scoped, it is a good reason to get in lots of practise. Know your effective range, both for your shooting, and the .357. Hunt like you are bowhunting. The plausible shot will be on a walking deer that does not see you, is broadside, and only 30 yards away, or less.

I'm not against scopes, at all. I've got one on my .30-06 rifle. And I'd love to buy a scoped Thompson Contender/Encore pistol, around 12 to 15 inch barrel, in maybe .35 Rem or .308 Win. The difference is that those guns have a bit more range for deer hunting.

With a revolver in .357, however, your power is going to be dropping off fast. This gives you the opportunity to work on classic accuracy, and to hone your deer hunting skills. Just my 2 cents.

Brass Nazi
04-08-2007, 13:22
I have a scope on my S&W 500 and a browning buckmark. The 500 wears a Nikon and the buckmark wears a Leopold. They are both 2x scopes and work quite well. I like Weigand mounts for handgun scopes.

http://www.jackweigand.com/canamnt.html