I guess us in Iowa and the rest of the Midwest don't know what we are doing!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I guess us in Iowa and the rest of the Midwest don't know what we are doing!!!


nsb22
03-07-2007, 21:03
:rant: :fist:

Not too long ago, Baltimore FD killed a recruit and injured a few more in a training fire. While I feel for the loss of those involved, the comment by Capt. Stephan G. Fugate, president of the Baltimore Fire Officers union, are completely uncalled for and have me rather upset right now.



"We like to hold ourselves up as one of the best departments in the
country, we compare ourselves to Boston, Chicago, New York - to have a
recruit killed in training is the kind of thing that happens in Iowa, in
rural America," he added. "It is not the kind of thing that should
happen in a major metropolitan area."


How dare he make a statement like that! How dare a website like firefighterclosecalls.com publish an article with a remark like that!

This makes me madder then heck, and in case you were wondering I am from Iowa.

Our State Fire Service may be writing something up, so I'll hold off doing anything until then.


:rant: :fist:

DCSO0322
03-08-2007, 00:57
What an asshat thing for them to say. I have been part of many many training fires and safety is the highest priority on them. I am from Indiana and on a Vol. Dept. of about 30 people. We take it very seriously. Screw them.:steamed:










:ffighter:

FirNaTine
03-08-2007, 10:25
Go to The Watchdesk (http://www.thewatchdesk.com) navigate to the Maryland forum, then Baltimore City. He posts there under Local964Prez.

By the way I am from a large adjacent department to Baltimore City, and we don't all think that way in this area.

indigent
03-08-2007, 10:31
nevermind. I found what I was looking for.

FirNaTine
03-08-2007, 11:00
The article is posted at Fire Fighter Close Calls (http://firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?41827)

Tvov
03-08-2007, 11:13
And some people wonder why there is friction between volunteer and paid guys.

nsb22
03-08-2007, 21:23
Originally posted by FirNaTine
Go to The Watchdesk (http://www.thewatchdesk.com) navigate to the Maryland forum, then Baltimore City. He posts there under Local964Prez.

By the way I am from a large adjacent department to Baltimore City, and we don't all think that way in this area. I know y'all don't think that way!! :thumbsup:

nsb22
03-08-2007, 21:24
Originally posted by Tvov
And some people wonder why there is friction between volunteer and paid guys. In all honesty, I don't see a whole lot of friction these days. I see it most from the people who have been in a long time.

At least, that is how it is around here.

4095fanatic
03-09-2007, 08:49
Originally posted by FirNaTine
Go to The Watchdesk (http://www.thewatchdesk.com) navigate to the Maryland forum, then Baltimore City. He posts there under Local964Prez.

Oh God, thewatchdesk... *sigh*. That site is good for two things in my county: LODD and ****-flinging. I'm personally ashamed of my county's forum on there (in Maryland)... only time anyone posts is when someone either f's up and they want to shove it in their face or someone dies. Wish it were more like these forums...

Part of the problem is that I know half the people at my station who post crap on there are all under 18 years of age and are stupid rookies running their mouth's off like I did when I was there age lol.

hotpig
03-09-2007, 15:22
I must be doing this wrong. In my 22 years of service I have not killed a newbie, I would have liked to a few times.

Glkster19
03-09-2007, 20:38
If I was your people, I'd contact his people and demand for his resignation. That is so unprofessional.

If you can't get his resignation, push for a written apology in the center of next months Firehouse magazine. A nice 2 page centerfold apology in Firehouse should set him back at least $20k, enough to make him think twice about opening his big mouth.

D25
03-10-2007, 19:12
Originally posted by Glkster19
If I was your people, I'd contact his people and demand for his resignation. That is so unprofessional.

If you can't get his resignation, push for a written apology in the center of next months Firehouse magazine. A nice 2 page centerfold apology in Firehouse should set him back at least $20k, enough to make him think twice about opening his big mouth.

+1.

Capt. Stephan G. Fugate is, at best, an idiot.

FirNaTine
03-10-2007, 20:34
Originally posted by 4095fanatic
Oh God, thewatchdesk... *sigh*. That site is good for two things in my county: LODD and ****-flinging. I'm personally ashamed of my county's forum on there (in Maryland)... only time anyone posts is when someone either f's up and they want to shove it in their face or someone dies. Wish it were more like these forums...

Part of the problem is that I know half the people at my station who post crap on there are all under 18 years of age and are stupid rookies running their mouth's off like I did when I was there age lol.

I'll agree, the standards there are much lower than here. However I was trying to post a convenient method of direct contact for the OP. I don't participate there much either.

By the way 4095Fanatic I have run mutual aid with your county more than once. They have mostly seemed like good people.

larry_minn
03-11-2007, 20:22
OK I make jokes about Iowa all the time. THIS ticks me off. (my wife was born in Iowa)
THis person NEEDS to be treated as if he used the "N" word or the "F" word.
I will be at a conference this weekend I wonder if I dare mention this. (Southern MN likly some other state folks there)