Hey want a free home theater system? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hey want a free home theater system?

lakota222
03-08-2007, 09:42
Anyone here been approached in a parking lot by 2 individuals in an SUV with out of state plates claiming to be delivery people and claiming to have an extra system that they got for free from their employer and they just want to give it away? I have been approached seven times over the past year in the Streetsboro/Twinsburg area and when I politley decline the guy gets irate. Yesterday was the wortst yet as the a-hole started calling me names when I told him I didnt want it. If I hadnt been pressed for time yesterday I would have filed a police report.

Anyone know who the heck these people are and what scam they are running?

Who just gives away a home theater system?

Scott.

pjb829
03-08-2007, 10:47
Originally posted by lakota222
Anyone know who the heck these people are and what scam they are running?

Who just gives away a home theater system? Thugs looking to make a quick buck by selling stolen merchandise or possibly trying to determine if you have any cash worth stealing.

Now how would that look when you called the cops. "Ah, yes officer, I was trying to receive some stolen property, but they mugged me instead".

Pete.

desmo
03-08-2007, 12:15
i have been aproached by them in oakwood/bedford area at the circle k. they tried to sell me a home theater system. i told them to get lost. a buddy of mine actually bought the system about 3 years ago. it turned out to be a good system.

anyplainjoe
03-08-2007, 12:48
Not in Columbus.

mattswabb
03-08-2007, 19:29
maybe post or search here

http://www.scam.com/index.php?

DistantTea
03-08-2007, 20:23
Those are called white van sales. Believe it or not its actually a real business and thats their selling tactics.

Usually the company will hire a couple real loser looking guys, find some guy in a parking lot and say that they ordered too much stuff and are trying to sell off the extra at some super awesome price. The name brand of the speakers they sell changes every five years or so but its always the same stuff "liquid cooled titanium tweeter, extended kevlar woofer... etc".

The sales pitch is actually standard company MO... the idea being people are more likely to buy crap equipment if someone shady tries to sell them a $50 speaker that they claim has a $2k MSRP for $150 out of the back of a van or SUV.

Friend of mine actually bought a pair at cost, which was something like $80. For $80 they were ok. But for the $200 or higher asking price they are not. The shady loser guys get a huge cut of whatever they sell the speakers for over a certain price so they try to get as much as they can.

I've been hit up two or three times a few years ago. The second time I actually got to talk to the guys for real and learned how the whole thing worked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

desmo
03-08-2007, 20:36
learn something new everyday. always wonderd why they have been around so long.

lakota222
03-08-2007, 21:12
Hey Pete:

What part of "after I politley decline" Did you not understand? Declining to recieve stolen property is no crime as far as I know.

pjb829
03-09-2007, 11:40
Originally posted by lakota222
Hey Pete:

What part of "after I politley decline" Did you not understand? Declining to recieve stolen property is no crime as far as I know.

Hey Scott:

There was nothing I did not understand. My statement about calling the cops was referring to my previous statement where I was suggesting that the thugs might rip somebody off if they showed interest in dealing with them.

Pete.