Bye Bye AWB-6 days to go [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye AWB-6 days to go

anyplainjoe
03-08-2007, 14:40
Freedom in six days. Although I don't plan on immediately purchasing anything usually prohibited, I'll feel alot better.

mattswabb
03-08-2007, 19:24
For my town it's bye bye no guns in the park ban:banana:

Captain Rehab
03-08-2007, 22:44
I have YET to receive my threatening letter from the Mayor concerning the continuation of Clevelands HandGun Registration.

Not to mention the demise of their AWB.

Will they REALLY die without a wimper??...Film in about 144 hours!!

R.TOKER
03-09-2007, 02:10
Big victory for gun owners in Ohio. However, do not rest easy with a Democratic controlled Federal Congress and a Clinton/Obama or Guiliani in the white house the Federal AWB will come back stronger than ever. Mike Huckabee for President!!!!

PennaOhio
03-09-2007, 11:52
A handy little tool to remind us:

http://www.86th.org/countdown.html

anyplainjoe
03-09-2007, 12:05
Originally posted by PennaOhio
A handy little tool to remind us:

http://www.86th.org/countdown.html

It's like that website is reading my mind!

Setzer77
03-09-2007, 14:17
Excuse my total ignorance, what AWB is ending? I wasn't aware Ohio had one in place?

PennaOhio
03-09-2007, 14:56
Local prohibitions...Dayton..Cleveland...Cincinnatti.

Also, my joy about it is no more 'Buckeye Tuck' when carrying concealed in an automobile. You'll be able to carry your gun on your person in a holster, NOT forced to be in 'plain sight' like the current law states.

Huzzah!

RickJZ
03-09-2007, 15:07
Originally posted by PennaOhio

Also, my joy about it is no more 'Buckeye Tuck' when carrying concealed in an automobile. You'll be able to carry your gun on your person in a holster, NOT forced to be in 'plain sight' like the current law states.

Huzzah!
+1
that was one of the worst provisions in Ohio's ccw legislation when it first came out in 2004. I am very glad that the 'Buckeye Tuck' will no longer be required.

Eagle1
03-10-2007, 08:37
I will concur on the fact that you were allowed to carry it on your person concealed, but then when you got to your vehicle and then had to pull it out and put it somewhere in plain view. To me this is a classic case of a possible brandishing incident. I am a police officer here in Ohio and this did not make any sense to me at all. I would rather a person have the firearm in a holster then to have it on the damn seat next to him very accessible.

I am (and so are all of my fellow officers) for the CCW permit system. **rant on** Just lastnight in the city of West Chester, 2 officers were shot on a traffic stop. The officers are fine, but the fact of the matter is that they perp that did shooting was carrying a gun and was up to no good. If he had the balls enough to shoot 2 cops, he would have shot anyone! **rant off**....

WILLSARV
03-10-2007, 11:29
I would rather a person have the firearm in a holster then to have it on the damn seat next to him very accessible.

That would be illegal. It had to be on your person and in plain sight.
The worst part of it to me was the idea of a cop walking up to my window and looking in and seeing a gun before I had a chance to declare it. With the change in the law, if I have my hands on the wheel and tell the cop that I have a CHL and I am packing, there's no reason for the cop to be nervous.
Now if we can get the alcohol deal changed to where you can be in a place where 51% of business is food and you are not consuming alcohol, you are okay to pack.
The government buildings deal is looser too. Walk into the post office to mail a package while packing and you're a felon? What a stupid law.
I hope some sensible legislators will keep working on keeping law abiding citizens from becoming criminals.

:thumbsup:

Setzer77
03-10-2007, 13:05
Whenever I got pulled over, I had my keys on the dash board, one arm sticking out the window with my papers and license, and other arm on the steering wheel. I told him I was carrying before he even had the chance to see it. I've never had an LEO get nervous about it. I can't imagine the stress those guys go through every time they pull someone over. I'm always cordial and easy going, so that they don't have to worry.

WILLSARV
03-10-2007, 13:30
Whenever I got pulled over,

Do you get pulled over alot?:shocked:

sdsnet
03-10-2007, 13:43
Originally posted by R.TOKER
Big victory for gun owners in Ohio. However, do not rest easy with a Democratic controlled Federal Congress and a Clinton/Obama or Guiliani in the white house the Federal AWB will come back stronger than ever. Mike Huckabee for President!!!!

Newt Gingrich for President!

Brian Dover
03-11-2007, 10:51
I hope that none of the cities make their usual, taxpayer-funded, sore loser attempts to get this law overturned, but...well, they seem to have endless stacks of budgetary surplus to spend in the fight for their "Home Rule Rights."

pjb829
03-11-2007, 14:55
Originally posted by Brian Dover
I hope that none of the cities make their usual, taxpayer-funded, sore loser attempts to get this law overturned, but...well, they seem to have endless stacks of budgetary surplus to spend in the fight for their "Home Rule Rights." If you look back to December when Taft's veto was overturned, for about three days all of the big city mayors were screaming. And then, just like somebody throwing a light switch, they simultaneously shut up. My guess, and it is only a guess, is there will be a lawsuit filed on Wednesday challenging the law based on an infringement of Home Rule.

Pete.

anyplainjoe
03-11-2007, 17:20
Let's hope the mayors aren't going to file a last minute suit to make themselves look good, but the proof is in the pudding.

shadow_dog
03-11-2007, 19:41
Originally posted by Brian Dover
I hope that none of the cities make their usual, taxpayer-funded, sore loser attempts to get this law overturned, but...well, they seem to have endless stacks of budgetary surplus to spend in the fight for their "Home Rule Rights."

Yes, we all know that cities like Cincinnati have nothing better to spend their money on other than lawsuits prohibiting LEGAL carry as opposed to spending money arresting ILLEGAL users/carriers. Lord knows the big cities don't want to upset any thugs or criminals.

Banker Billy
03-11-2007, 20:51
I'm not worried on what will happen on the 14th . . .

All the city regs will become null and void . . .

But . . "someone" will be charged under an old reg and then it will be settled in the Courts. And I really believe in OUR favor ! ! Look what happened last week in D.C. ! !

And I thought I read "somewhere" where Toledo has even changed their regs on park carry -- correct ? ?

And you want to talk about "Home Rule" ? ? How many cities -- LARGE cities -- have been shot-down in Court in the past few months about forcing city employees live in the city limits ? ? ?

A few "bumps" -- sure, but nothing to worry about. Toby Hoover-head may try "something" , like she did approx three years ago, but I'm not getting too excited.

just my 2 cents . . . . .

anyplainjoe
03-12-2007, 06:23
One day and 15 hours to go!

anyplainjoe
03-13-2007, 09:34
12 hours to go!

Brian Dover
03-13-2007, 11:51
The traffic stop/shootout incident in West Chester was mentioned earlier in this thread. Anybody see what kind of gun the (now dead) suspect was using? An Ed Brown Executive Elite 1911! Those go for well upwards of $2,000. Not your typical "perp's gun" is it?

Now, back to the countdown. As the guy who coined the dreaded term 'Buckeye Tuck', I'll be happier than anyone to see the phrase become obsolete! :banana:

anyplainjoe
03-13-2007, 12:46
I'm surprised the local media isn't crying up a storm, predicting innocent blood will flow in the streets....

I'm really passionate about this issue. I really got into collecting about 1996-97, and remember standard cap mags were about $75+, AK underfolders were $900ish, etc. Like I could afford those right out of college!

When the National AWB ban went away it was like a miracle! Holding a previously LE only G17 hi cap was a moment I'll never forget! Only $9.99! A few months later my city deceides to take away my rights as a law abiding citizen. Ahhhhh! And the city wonders why most of the affluent folks have moved away.

My wife was up for a promotion to Texas, the first thing I thought of was the gun laws. But she didn't get it, and I threw my efforts behind writing and emailing politicians in support of this law.

Now we just need to protect our right at the state and national levels.

itstime
03-13-2007, 21:02
WOW. Looks like we're under 1 hour!!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ender
03-13-2007, 21:12
1) can we carry 'concealed' in a car?

2) if we work in a place that serves beer only, can we carry there?

PennaOhio
03-13-2007, 22:02
HUZZAH!!!

glockess56
03-13-2007, 22:54
Well, folks. No more Buckeye Tuck! It is now official (and has been for 54 minutes)that we no longer have to keep our ccw "in plain sight." It feels good already and I have mine locked in the car as I work!

Gary1911A1
03-14-2007, 05:14
I'm so happy about this! For me nothing else changed much. I'm going to enjoy being able to carry CCW in my car.

anyplainjoe
03-14-2007, 06:27
It's Miller time!

BallisticTip
03-17-2007, 18:03
:banana: :thumbsup: :) :) :thumbsup: :supergrin:

anyplainjoe
03-17-2007, 21:05
And I don't even like beer!

anyplainjoe
03-26-2007, 12:55
So far no blood bath! I'm sure the anti's are still praying for disaster.