Cabela's in Ohio [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's in Ohio

kiss_my_chad
03-08-2007, 16:39
I've heard rumors of Cabela's coming to Ohio. Somewhere along I-71 between Columbus and Cleveland. Has anyone else heard this??

Pistol Pedro
03-08-2007, 16:47
I heard a rummer awhile ago about a Cabelas going in off I-70 between Dayton and the Indiana state line.

edited I-70 for I-75

latham44
03-08-2007, 17:47
WADSWORTH One northeastern Ohio cornfield may become the site of a Cabela's megastore.

Both Medina and Summit counties are hoping to land the specialty retailer of hunting, fishing and outdoor gear.

James Powell, a Cabela's spokesman, said, "We do have a definite interest in putting a store in Ohio." He would not be more specific about the relative merits of Medina and Summit counties' bids for the project.

According to Medina County Economic Development Director James Doutt Wadsworth is one of two sites in Ohio being considered. The other site is in Macedonia, he said. "Either city could use sales tax incentives from the state to attract a project of that size," Doutt said.

Wadsworth has been working to attract Cabela's for nearly three years. Even before he started his economic development job with the city, assistant service director Rob Peters, an avid outdoorsman, was visiting the Cabela's store in Dundee, Mich. There he talked to the assistant manager to get a feeling for their future expansion plans.

After talking to communities that had Cabela's developments, Peter said, "Cabela's could be a catalyst for additional upscale development with jobs and tax dollars for the community."

Peters first called the company in 2004. He got a response five months later, thanking him politely for the information he had sent to them. The packet included information about the land that has now been developed as Wadsworth Crossings on Akron Road near Interstate 76. Then in February, Cabela's representatives came to Wadsworth and looked at a site northwest of the intersection of state Route 57 and Interstate 76.

shadow_dog
03-08-2007, 18:27
I have a friend who claims to be in the "know" about the Warren Co area, he lives there and knows a few "people". He has said for about a year that Cabelas is going to build in a big development that is going to take place on RT48 between Lebanon and Kings Island. Also, they are looking at building around Florence Ky also according to him. Just FWIW according to my friend.

Brian Dover
03-08-2007, 21:20
Cabela's apparently looks at property in lots of locations, and isn't exactly secretive about who they are when out land shopping. Maybe by being sort of out in the open about their searches, it gets more cities, counties, etc. putting out feelers to attract them, I don't know.

Shadow dog, I spend some time in Florence Ky., and two realtors there told me that the land Cabela's was looking at, near the south end of Mall Road, was just too expensive. About 60-65 acres at $250,000 an acre as memory serves. (Lot of bucks for just the land, ain't it?) That could have just been the first round of talks. But who knows, maybe that was just the first dance between the landowner and Cabela's?

R.TOKER
03-09-2007, 03:12
The Cabela's in Wheeling, WV is about 1hr from my house here in Eastern Ohio. When they were looking for a place to put the Wheeling store the Cabela's folks looked at ground in my area. However, the lure of I-70 was too much to overcome for us rednecks. Those Cabela's stores are like heaven on earth!!:banana:

crowkiller
03-09-2007, 07:26
Originally posted by shadow_dog
I have a friend who claims to be in the "know" about the Warren Co area, he lives there and knows a few "people". He has said for about a year that Cabelas is going to build in a big development that is going to take place on RT48 between Lebanon and Kings Island. Also, they are looking at building around Florence Ky also according to him. Just FWIW according to my friend.

I have been hearing the same rumor from a few people. The area in Warren Co. they are talking about is getting ready to get developed big time with business. I hear the land Cabelas is supposedly looking at has an old gravel pit lake on it. The location is I think in South Lebanon down the road from Riverbend a high dollar golf course sub-division.

G30 OH
03-09-2007, 15:10
Originally posted by crowkiller
I have been hearing the same rumor from a few people. The area in Warren Co. they are talking about is getting ready to get developed big time with business. I hear the land Cabelas is supposedly looking at has an old gravel pit lake on it. The location is I think in South Lebanon down the road from Riverbend a high dollar golf course sub-division.

I heard the same rumor from someone about a year ago but I didn't give it much credence since it was the "friend of a friend's, second cousin twice removed...." that originally heard the rumor.

The place that I heard they were looking at is the Oeder gravel pit at the intersection of SR 48 and Mason-Morrow-Milgrove Road. There is supposed to be a large retail development going in there. I have heard of a Kohl's, Meijer and Dillard's that are also supposed to be going in there. So far though there has not been any ground broken at the gravel pit or the old Siemens property across the street. I go past there daily on my way to and from work. It is about 2 miles from my house.

shadow_dog
03-09-2007, 18:57
Originally posted by crowkiller

Yep, thats the spot. My friend lives in South Town (that's what I call South Lebanon).

crowkiller
03-10-2007, 06:20
Originally posted by G30 OH
I heard the same rumor from someone about a year ago but I didn't give it much credence since it was the "friend of a friend's, second cousin twice removed...." that originally heard the rumor.

The place that I heard they were looking at is the Oeder gravel pit at the intersection of SR 48 and Mason-Morrow-Milgrove Road. There is supposed to be a large retail development going in there. I have heard of a Kohl's, Meijer and Dillard's that are also supposed to be going in there. So far though there has not been any ground broken at the gravel pit or the old Siemens property across the street. I go past there daily on my way to and from work. It is about 2 miles from my house.

Thats the place,we have pretty much heard the same thing. I have also heard people say it is Bass Pro and Gandre Mountain so who knows. I have a lot of family in and from South Lebanon.

crowkiller
03-10-2007, 06:22
Originally posted by shadow_dog
Yep, thats the spot. My friend lives in South Town (that's what I call South Lebanon).

Hoss ya aint the only one me and all my buddies have been calling it South Town for years.

odgreen17
03-11-2007, 20:07
I heard there is gonna be a Cabela's or Bass Pro in Seville off 71 across from the Pilot truck stop. The guy that owned the truck wash (not the Blue Beacon the other one) said he was selling the land to one of the two(can't remember which). I guess only time will tell.

DOG33
03-12-2007, 21:41
I have heard from several people including a ward councilman in our city that Wadsworth is the NE Ohio chosen spot for the new store.
G :thumbsup:

birddog1
03-15-2007, 13:00
My brother is an electrician in the Wadsworth/Medina area. he has a lot of contacts with the folks in that area and it does sound like Wadsworth is getting close.

thiscoplovescoins
03-16-2007, 21:15
sure would be nice