Who's ramped up over DST!?!? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who's ramped up over DST!?!?

KSFreeman
03-09-2007, 05:54
Yay! Early DST! Despite the resistance from those that are mystified by clock changing techniques (e.g. the farmers), we get to enjoy the benefits of DST.

It's worth reading all the moronic letters to the editor from people who cannot change their clocks to enjoy increased productivity and health, not to mention increased range opportunities for many.

Anyone else looking forward to the benefits of DST?

mpholic
03-09-2007, 07:35
I love DST, always have.

When we moved back here almost 20 years ago I was dissapointed they had stop using DST. Every year when they argued it in the Government I supported. I really enjoyed the extra daylight last year.

So what you lose an hour of sleep once a year. Do the math, go to sleep an hour earlier on Saturday night.

MakeMineaP99
03-09-2007, 08:13
Has anyone done a study yet to see if DST has traumatized the cows?:animlol: :animlol:

The benefits of DST far outweigh any negatives. Finally, people from other states will know what time it is when they call IN, a huge benefit to those trying to conduct business from IN.

My Man Mitch!!

boilergonzo
03-09-2007, 08:15
I am anti-DST. Not saying I liked being the only place (Asia, AZ,HI, and some Canadian provinces excluded) that didn't do DST (I did not). I prefer moving my clocks to what we had prior... however, Indiana had the right general idea before, and some states may revert to our old system with a dalight twist...

I do like what is happening though. As the gov't moves the dates inward more and more (we gained three weeks this spring!), we get closer to year-round DST (which is what I would prefer, all the benefits without the clock-fussing). Many states are considering such options. Effectively move a time zone east year-round, and push the daylight to the end of the day on a permenant basis without the need to have a few months where, for some strange reason, we don't WANT to "save energy", "have evening daylight", or pick a random reason... Someone needs to explain why the benefits go away in the winter. I've heard the reasons, but none resonate with me (regardless of time zone, our busses go by in the dark in the morning... moving two hours back would solve it, but short of that, the "kids in the dark" is similar to "it's for the kids" in removing handguns... sounds catchy, but isn't real... at least not for my school busses!).

I want year-round DST on a national level. We still can't solve the time zone border issue in Indiana (Cincy, L-ville, Chicago on borders... it just can't be fixed to satisfy all).

Patrick Graham
03-09-2007, 08:29
I don't get it...

It's just a time change.. To most people it will be a tranzparent event.. the internets will change my computer time.. the verizons will change my cell phone times.. The cable companyz will change the time on my decoder box... Tivo will change the timez on my Tivo....and I don't do 19th century watches anymore so that's a non-care situation..

It's not like time OD'ed in a motel room in miami.. shortly after her son, space, OD'ed in her hospital room.. That would be newz worthy..

KSFreeman
03-09-2007, 08:33
The cows?:shocked:

Other states have far greater cow density, New York or California, and their cows do just fine. Heck, cows in California make commericals telling us how happy they are with DST in California.

Never understood why the farmers were upset with DST until last year when they admitted they couldn't figure out their clocks. It wasn't the cows, it was the men--as usual.:thumbsup:

rhino465
03-09-2007, 12:05
I think DST is stupid and instead of doing it ourselves, the rest of the country should have stopped. It serves no useful purpose, and now we're doing essentially just because all the other kids are doing it.

Leave it to the British to impose their chrono-tyranny on us! I'm "on" to you, KSFreeman! If I had an emoticon for when you point to your own eyes and then at the other guy implying, "I'm watching you," I'd use it right here --->

KSFreeman
03-09-2007, 12:44
HAHAHAHA, you lazy, mouth-breathing, couch-sitting Americans have finally figured it out!

But it's too late, bahahawahahaha. Soon we will have you working hard and being productive and then you'll be exercising after work outside in the sunlight! Bawahahaha. I'm coming for you, your little dog and your Cheetoes, America.

I [heart] Evil.:banana:

epsylum
03-09-2007, 12:55
The ONLY thing that is irritating me this time around is my bedroom alarm clock sets its own time. Last time it was on the normal DST day so it made the change for me, this time they changed the day so I don't know if my clock will figure it out (not sure it is controlled by the radio signal from the atomic clock or just a program internally) or if I will have to manually change it forward and then back when it gets to the old DST date.

I think I will be using my cell phone alarm for any important appointments in the mean time.

ericXD9
03-09-2007, 21:26
I LOVE me some DST!!!

:wave:

Patrick Graham
03-09-2007, 21:53
:laughabove:

Just out of curiosity - How will we know when we have been DST'ed and when is it suppose to happen..??..

Harlequin
03-10-2007, 05:31
Originally posted by KSFreeman
HAHAHAHA, you lazy, mouth-breathing, couch-sitting Americans have finally figured it out!

But it's too late, bahahawahahaha. Soon we will have you working hard and being productive and then you'll be exercising after work outside in the sunlight! Bawahahaha. I'm coming for you, your little dog and your Cheetoes, America.

I [heart] Evil.:banana:

At least you don't want all of our firearms, Airsoft guns, claymores, steak knives, and baseball bats. Those limey Brits would take those as well.

KSFreeman
03-10-2007, 06:44
Har, I want your firearms, but I am willing to pay a fair price!:supergrin:

eprn
03-11-2007, 14:02
I'm happy with the change. I live in SE Indiana and we are not far from both Ohio and KY. Most people here work in the other two states. Different times made everything difficult--especially for parents with kids in school here.

I'm glad there is finally some temporal uniformity (I think I heard that one on Star Trek).

The only surprise is the number of people who still want to debate it. If the farmers are that confused by it, they can just leave the DVD player flashing "12:00." We'll understand.:rofl:

grislyAdam
03-11-2007, 15:00
I think DST is one of the stupidest concepts ever conceptualized.
What is so great about having to get up earlier in the morning for work and **poof** automatically losing an hour on the first Sunday that it starts?
I think what gets me the most is that there are people out there who actually believe that the days are now "longer". Idiots.

Indy_Guy_77
03-11-2007, 15:08
Well...

I think the whole idea of DST is pretty goofy... But, I think that our whole system of measuring time is kind of random and subjective anyway.

But, I'm glad that now at least Indiana is goofy along with most of the country instead of being goofy alone (almost alone...).

-J-

KSFreeman
03-12-2007, 06:00
grisly, what's great is increased productivity, greater business opportunities, a healthier state, and increased sales of black electrical tape to farmers who can tape over their VCRs!:rofl:

IPDBrad
03-12-2007, 08:15
Originally posted by boilergonzo
I want year-round DST on a national level.

I am all for that.

I love having the extra hour of daylight at the end of the day. During most of the summer I work almost my entire shift in daylight.

Forget the switching back and forth, just leave our clocks where they are at now. :thumbsup:

mpholic
03-12-2007, 11:52
Originally posted by grislyAdam
I think what gets me the most is that there are people out there who actually believe that the days are now "longer". Idiots.

I doubt too many people believe the days are longer because of DST. The daylight hours have simply shifted to later on the clock. That may mean nothing to some people but it does for me.

More daylight after I get off work. More daylight for chores around the house, more daylight for leisure activities, etc.

KSFreeman
03-12-2007, 12:39
Yeah, how can anyone think the day is longer? Have not run across that one yet.

Don't they see how dark it is when driving into work?

epsylum
03-12-2007, 14:34
Originally posted by KSFreeman
Yeah, how can anyone think the day is longer? Have not run across that one yet.

Don't they see how dark it is when driving into work?

Since I work 3-11pm It is light out when I go in as usual and dark when I leave as usual. ;)

It is nice for me on the weekends though.

grislyAdam
03-12-2007, 15:42
"grisly, what's great is increased productivity, greater business opportunities, a healthier state, and increased sales of black electrical tape to farmers who can tape over their VCRs!"

All that just from manually moving your clocks ahead one hour, eh? Miraculous!!
You sure like to rip on farmers a lot. Most of the farmers that I knew had the internet in their home offices long before it was a household word.

KSFreeman
03-13-2007, 05:50
I "rip" on farmers as farmers were the main opposition to DST (or rather the excuse given by ignorant members of the General Assembly). They claimed (or rather it was claimed) that DST would "confuse their cows" even though New York and California have DST and far more cows than Indiana.

Last summer the farmers finally admitted that their stance was based upon the fact that they do not know how to adjust their clocks and did not want to live with electrical tape over their clocks. Democrats quickly dropped their plans to take Indiana back off DST after this embarassing fiasco.

Yes, DST has many benefits. DST is directly responsible for job growth as corporations would finally be in synch with the East Coast (where the people are and where the money is). DST has lead to more business opportunities which will lead to even more job growth.

DST is responsible for a healthier population as more people exercise outside and spend less time indoors feeding their faces. The restaurant owners here in Lafayette were whining to the newspaper that people were out exercising and not sitting and eating. With the epidemic of self-inflicted fork-borne diseases, even now in children, anything we can do to get people to exercise instead of eat can help.

Give it "time", grisly. You will learn to love DST.:hearts: I'll see you outside.:banana:

boilergonzo
03-13-2007, 09:00
But, again... the benefits you describe would happen if we simply observed DST year-round. We switched, but California is considering petitioning the fed for year-round daylight(and DDST - double Daylight Savings Time... shifting two hours east) effectively what we abandoned.

Every capable company in the world has a computer with time zones in it. Japan does not observe DST at all. There is a three month span as various countries change clocks on different dates. FedEx and the others are smart, and despite the old days in Indiana, the planes still landed on time (the pilots often announced it wrong, but the computers driving the system always figure it out... just like the leap three weeks forward caused all of our IT groups to scramble to push the software tweaks out).

I'm with you on the daylight at the end of the day. I just think the whole country would be better off with a permenant shift. During WWII they did just that.

I hate changing clocks. I have several automatic watches (mechanical movements). I have several cars. I have a "dumb" oven, microwave, several clock alarm radios, VCR, and home alarm system. Sure, my atomic clock switches, my cell phone, my DVR, my "smart" DVD recorder, and my PC's flip (at least the three with the date change patch). But all the other clock fiddling is an annoyance.

I don't have cows, but my dog seems to handle the change just fine. HOWEVER, there are multiple studies showing a dramatic increase in traffic accidents the day after a time switch. We are sleep conditioned, and changes in sleep habits cause problems for humans. Given that the whole country switches, I want to switch with them for continuity. However, the whole program is flawed.

usaf207cwf
03-13-2007, 20:23
FedEx and the others are smart, and despite the old days in Indiana, the planes still landed on time (the pilots often announced it wrong, but the computers driving the system always figure it out... just like the leap three weeks forward caused all of our IT groups to scramble to push the software tweaks out).

That is because the aviation industry (the whole industry) works on ZULU time...which never changes. The pilots always announce the time wrong because they do not know how to correctly convert ZULU to LOCAL time.

Long live DST!!!!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

boilergonzo
03-14-2007, 09:11
Despite using UTC (formerly GMT or Greenwich Mean Time) FedEx still guarantees package delivery by 9:00AM, etc. local time. They show up at my house every week regardless of DST changes.

Despite Louisville (UPS) and Indy (FedEx) delivering to Evansville (different time zone) they still figure it out so packages arrive on time, local time. They even did this before the observation of DST in Indiana when some localities (Louisville area) changed despite violation of Federal time regulations.

Despite the promises of economic gain, our Indiana economy is not suddenly blazing due to the switch in time. Is it more convenient to always have the same time differential? Yes. And for that reason ONLY I support it. But a better option exists.

We have been convinced DST will save us, when in reality, this idea comes from Ben Franklin's era, and many reviewing this are realizing the benefits would be even greater if it were simply observed year-round.

Saves energy argument: If this is real, why not save the remaining three months? (Australia actually had energy usage go UP during DST due to increased use of air conditioners...)

Kids in dark argument: The only way to fix this is move farther south, or reposition the earth with relation to the sun for people living far from the equator.

California and New York do it: Yeah, and they have unfriendly firearms laws too. Cali wastes millions of dollars on signs stating "this building is known to contain chemicals they may cause cancer". Is following these guys really a good idea?

Russia observes "double daylight" going forward two hours in the summer.

Japan, China, India, Iceland, and many others do NOT observe DST. Only about 70 out of 193 countries in the world do observe DST (many don't have the need due to proximity to the equator). Historically 20,30,40,60,120, and 180 minute adjustments have all been used (some are still in use). Talk about confusion!

The U.S. is out of step with the rest of the world, so should we tie ourselves to the EU for economic gain? Heck no. Let the computers figure it out!

Year round DST please! No more clock fiddling! For once, I hope California gets bizarre legislation passed. If they move one time zone east on a permenant basis, the rest of the country will have to re-examine DST and how to apply it. The Feds will obviously have a say in this...

Ahhhh... I'm done. Touched a nerve!

Warp
03-14-2007, 18:34
I like DST. I grew up in an area of IN that observed it (central time zone). When I went down to Purdue for school I couldnt' figure out why the hell part of hte state didn't change. It screwed things up when my family back home, just over an hour north, had to think about whether or not I was on the same time as them or not.

Then when they decided to go to DST I couldn't believe the idiotic things I read people saying...some made it sound like the world as we know it would cease to exist because we changed the clocks. :upeyes:

It's nice having an extra hour in the evening when, for most people, it is much more usefull.

I could go for "year round DST"...sounds good to me...

grislyAdam
03-15-2007, 15:35
[QUOTE]Then when they decided to go to DST I couldn't believe the idiotic things I read people saying...some made it sound like the world as we know it would cease to exist because we changed the clocks.

And vice versa.:upeyes:

epsylum
03-15-2007, 15:59
Originally posted by grislyAdam
[QUOTE]Then when they decided to go to DST I couldn't believe the idiotic things I read people saying...some made it sound like the world as we know it would cease to exist because we changed the clocks.

And vice versa.:upeyes:

More light in the evening is idiotic?

I remember reading an article in the newspaper about 6 months ago talking about how places had to lengthen their hours as more people were coming in during the evening and some restruants even said they had what seemed like two dinner rush periods. Frankly I do not agree with us being in EST (we should be central), but we finally joined the vast majority of the rest of the country.

I woke up at 6am this morning (which is semi-odd for me as I work 2nd shift). It was darker than I was used to (okay it was plain ole dark out). But guess what? I and the majority of people were not doing anything that required light, just traveling to a destination. In my case it was to a buddy's house and for most, work. No real need for daylight to do that. But when you come home and you have like 4 hours of usable daylight to do stuff with your family, IMO it is worth the trade off.

KSFreeman
03-16-2007, 05:48
Hear, hear! Bring on the increased sunlight and the outdoors.:hearts: