What Lens you cannot live without? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What Lens you cannot live without?

DeadMansLife
03-10-2007, 13:11
I believe I have settled on a Cannon XT 8.0 meg unless I find a great deal on an XTi or a Nikon D80. I have not decided on my first lens yet but I will be getting a 50 f1.8 within a few months of buying a camera( I understand this is a must have lens).

What lens do you have that you cannot live without? The one that you have on the camera most of the time for that RIGHT NOW shot. I would like something that would allow me to to take a wide range of pictures with little thought of which lens do I need for this shot. My hope is to learn as much as I can before I start worrying about what glass do I use.

I am also looking into a photography class at the local community college. With the investment I am making on equipment, I don't think $115 for a 14 hour course on how to better use it is too much to consider.

hwyhobo
03-10-2007, 13:21
You are getting the kit lens, right? That's the best way to learn what focal lengths you will be using the most for your style and type of photography. After a few months you can look into EXIF records of your photos and you will know.

I would wait with any purchasing decisions until then.

ponykilr
03-10-2007, 14:48
Well, it was my 50mm, but now it's my 28-70f/2.8. Unless I am shooting moon shots or sports, it's on there. We are going to the aquarium at pine knoll shores(Atlantic Beach) tomorrow, I will be taking my 50mmf/1.8, it's dark in there.

DeadMansLife
03-15-2007, 17:20
Yes, I am getting the kit lens to start. I was looking to get a second lens with the camera then the 50mm in a few months. I guess I'll hold off on the second lens for a bit or just pick up the 50mm when I buy the camera.

Thanks. :)

Indy_Guy_77
03-21-2007, 19:10
Consider the f/1.2 50mm if you can afford it...

hippy john
03-22-2007, 17:02
Mmmmm, f1.2 50mm ( Insert drooling soundtrack) It would be nice, however, my always lense outside and inside with a flash, is my 24 - 105 f4L IS. Love the versitility, and I'm getting lazy so the 'foot zoom' that I need with the 50 doesn't go over well. And the wide agle is something that I find myself using more than I thought I would. I might even go for the 10-22mm sooner than later.

nipperwolf
03-22-2007, 18:08
no question. my 80-200 2.8. the one on the right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/web/DSCN2394w2.jpg

I do a lot of sports and motorsports shooting, and it is perfect for it.