Auto knife carry for CWP holder? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Auto knife carry for CWP holder?

taekwonno
03-11-2007, 00:48
I've been reading the statutes but can't come to a conclusion on whether or not it is legal for a person with a concealed weapons permit to carry an auto knife.

I'd be really bummed if I couldn't carry my brand new Microtech...

Does anyone have a definite answer?

Gmountain
03-11-2007, 06:00
Yes, you can carry it. Perfectly ok, in FLorida, if you have a CCW.

790.225 Ballistic self-propelled knives; unlawful to manufacture, sell, or possess; forfeiture; penalty.--

(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, display, sell, own, possess, or use a ballistic self-propelled knife which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile and which physically separates the blade from the device by means of a coil spring, elastic material, or compressed gas. A ballistic self-propelled knife is declared to be a dangerous or deadly weapon and a contraband item. It shall be subject to seizure and shall be disposed of as provided in s. 790.08(1) and (6).

(2) This section shall not apply to:

(a) Any device from which a knifelike blade opens, where such blade remains physically integrated with the device when open.

Dandapani
03-11-2007, 07:04
Gutmacher in his Firearms book (every FL gun owner should buy and read this book) has a blurb on "switchblades" knives. As GM' above says, yes, it is legal (Florida Firearms, pg 106.).

Gmountain
03-11-2007, 07:30
Thoe Microtechs are really nice. If I had the dough, I'd carry one. I do have a Lone Wolf Double Duty, which I think is a pretty good looking knife.

taekwonno
03-11-2007, 17:29
Thanks a lot guys. I asked around here and got it too.

Guess I just got confused with classification of a "weapon" and the "ballistic knife."

I suppose the term projectile should have made it clear for me.

Rusty Shackleford
03-13-2007, 07:10
You also don't need a CCW permit to openly carry a weapon in FL.