How to conceal with hips? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to conceal with hips?

Pinki
03-11-2007, 09:46
Hi folks :)

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to conceal a gun. My fanny pack at this point works the best. How do you all do it? I have a tiny, tiny waist but proportionally large hips. So, if I wear a gun on my hips, it really sticks out. I also have a belly band and if I wear that the gun sticks out like an odd third boob. So, how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Washington,D.C.
03-11-2007, 09:54
Originally posted by Pgrl
Hi folks :)

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to conceal a gun. My fanny pack at this point works the best. How do you all do it? I have a tiny, tiny waist but proportionally large hips. So, if I wear a gun on my hips, it really sticks out. I also have a belly band and if I wear that the gun sticks out like an odd third boob. So, how to do this?

Thanks in advance! :needspics:

Blitzer
03-11-2007, 10:13
Maybe a Smartcarry holster?

Pinki
03-11-2007, 11:14
Washington, D.C.: move along, nothing to see here. Go back to the OAF. Shooo now. ;)

I just looked at the Smartcarry and I think that won't work either. It will make me look like I have another odd appendage. I think I'm going to have to stick with the fanny pack, especially in Summer.

Still would appreciate suggestions from those who are small waist, larger hips.

kimbur
03-11-2007, 13:45
I have yet to find the "perfect" way to carry. I would prefer to have it on my body than in a bag, but that requires a big blousy shirt and sometimes I want to wear the tight little t-shirt and not a button up shirt that looks like I borrowed it from my big brother. I have a smart carry holster and your right, it looks like I have endowments not complentary to my sex. So, right now I vary between a fanny pack, a purse when wearing t-shirts or nicer clothes and IWB with an oversized shirt when just kicking around on the weekends. This may not have helped you much, but know that I can sympathize with the difficulty finding the best way to carry with as little compromise as possible.

Mrs. VR
03-11-2007, 15:19
Pgrl, we can't carry here ( :sadangel: ) but the one time I did in MT, I used Jay's IWB, and it was HORRIBLE, I had to adjust for my hips and it ended up sticking in my ribs and hurting. I am very short waisted, which I think makes it that much worse. IF we ever get CCW here, I'll have to really experiment, so I'm interesting in hearing what folks have to say.

Pinki
03-11-2007, 19:46
Thanks folks (Mrs. VR, I have a very short torso as well) :(

Perhaps we'll get some more opinions as we go along. I think the fanny pack is my #1 choice right now though.

Kimbur: thank you for verifying what I thought would happen with the Smartcarry!

Pru
03-12-2007, 00:04
I 'appendix' carry with a belly band - between my belly button & my hip, with a forward cant. I too am short waisted, so the grip is just below my bust. It helps to be well endowed; my shirts don't cling below the bust. It really is quite comfortable - not super fun to tie my shoes, but I can do so in public, without grunting.

I can kinda carry with the belly band real low, right on the point of my hip (also with a forward cant), if I wear a long shirt. The grip disappears, but I get a muzzle print in an odd place.

I tried - for about two seconds - to carry just behind the hip, but it dug into everything and the grip stuck out a lot.

There are IWB holsters designed for women that are 'off set' meaning that the upper portion of the holster holds the grip out from your body. That helps even it up with the muzzle being held out by the curves, and it won't dig into your ribs - or so I've heard. I would imagine that the trade off is that the grip prints more.

Play with your belly band. Move it and inch higher, lower, to the right, the left, and so on. Spin it full circle. You might find a spot you like.

BTW, I'm and married with kids, so I don't give much consideration to wearing "the tight little t-shirt." lol If I wore a tight little t-shirt, people wouldn't be yelling "OMG she has a gun!" They'd be whispering "Ewww...look at that fat roll, doesn't she know to cover it up?"

Good luck to you!

Pinki
03-12-2007, 06:15
Thanks Pru, I'll try to shift the belly band around like you suggest and see if anything helps.

BabyTaz
03-12-2007, 14:18
Carry 2 guns, one on each hip, then you will look balanced and people are less likely to notice!!:supergrin:

OK, I really have no GOOD ideas!

Pinki
03-12-2007, 17:08
Carry 2 guns, one on each hip, then you will look balanced and people are less likely to notice!!

Well, I'll try it just to see -- but for me that will accentuate my hips too much :sad: I'll look like a weeble. Since my waist is so small the hips will look way out of proportion.

JLJ
03-12-2007, 17:58
Ladies, being of the other gender I did not pay enough attention when I saw the listing, but I believe Kramer makes a holster specially for the female anatomy. Here are a couple of links:

Kramer (http://www.kramerleather.com/products.cfm?categoryID=22)
Article (http://www.womenandguns.com/archive/old0902issue/ranch1002.html)
Galco (http://www.usgalco.com/Women.asp)

Do a google and you might find more.

Stay Safe,

JLJ

Pinki
03-12-2007, 19:36
Ladies, being of the other gender I did not pay enough attention when I saw the listing, but I believe Kramer makes a holster specially for the female anatomy. Here are a couple of links:

Thanks for the suggestion. It may help one of the other ladies. If any of you see something similar in a non-leather/non-animal product, please let me know. Thanks! :)

Dinky
03-13-2007, 07:36
Just so everyone knows------------

I am staying out of this one:wavey:

Pinki
03-13-2007, 12:48
Someone is not doing a very good job of locking the men out of this forum! :rofl:

Washington,D.C.
03-13-2007, 13:11
Pgrl I know you can't watch Youtube right now but when you get chance watch a couple of these video's.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QqwF5dlZheY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ShsASxHXTFY&mode=related&search=

Pinki
03-13-2007, 13:29
Ok, I'll watch them. :hugs:

Now all you men shooooooooo! (where's the fly swatter when you need it?)

Washington,D.C.
03-13-2007, 14:21
The video's are just a bit of fun.Nothing serious but I couldn't post smiley's with URL's.

:supergrin:

Lynn D
03-13-2007, 14:57
Pgrl -

Don't know what you've tried or what you're interested in, but you might want to look at FIST LINKY (http://www.fist-inc.com/) ... They do leather (which I know is not your preference), but they also make most of their leather styles in Kydex. Not only, but they have an "ultrathin" Kydex as well. And they have some "ladies'" holsters. Might be a good starting point for you.

Now, that said, I've not tried them, but am considering a "thin Kydex" tuckable IWB at this point....

Best of luck!!! :)

Pinki
03-13-2007, 15:25
Thanks Lynn, I saved the link. If you do try the thin Kydex one, please let me know how you like it!

IMHerDad
03-13-2007, 15:53
Rocket Man Holsters www.rmholsters.com makes a ladies offset holster. They are great people to work with and they ship pretty fast.

Building a ladies holster is no small chore, but we've managed to come up with an attachment design that works for the majority of the gals. Note the molded relief, in the offset, allowing the thumb to actuate the mag catch, without removing the gun from the holster.

Pinki
03-13-2007, 16:08
IMHerDad: how is it worn? (opps I somehow thought it was your company but you just quoted the site). Well, does anyone know how they are worn?

Dinky
03-13-2007, 16:34
Someone is not doing a very good job of locking the men out of this forum! :rofl:

I have full rights to this forum, resident stalker, as do many other men.

Mrs. VR said so:tongueout:

Pinki
03-13-2007, 16:37
I have full rights to this forum, resident stalker, as do many other men.

And I maintain my rights to use my flyswatter!

Dinky
03-13-2007, 16:54
And I maintain my rights to use my flyswatter!

http://bestsmileys.com/scared/3.gif

Lynn D
03-14-2007, 13:28
Originally posted by IMHerDad
Rocket Man Holsters www.rmholsters.com makes a ladies offset holster. They are great people to work with and they ship pretty fast.

I borrowed an "offset" holster from a friend one afternoon. I think it was either a DeSantis or a Galco.

Now, I'm don't have the "little waist, big hips" problem. I'm just sort of "no waist, going right into hips". It fit nicely and set the holster a bit lower on my hips. It was quite easy to access the grip and comfortable. Only problem for me? It was OWB, and for concealment, would have required a much longer cover garment than I would wear.

Depends on what you would want it for. If it were me, I'd consider it for range use, but it wouldn't work for me for "everyday" wear.

:wavey:

Pinki
03-14-2007, 17:44
snip:

I borrowed an "offset" holster from a friend one afternoon. I think it was either a DeSantis or a Galco.

Thanks for the review -- it's very useful!

For this, I'm looking specifically for everyday wear; something that can truly be "concealed." For the range, I'm not as worried about looking like a weeble. :rofl:

In fact, you should have seen me with the holster and the four speedloader holders.
:rofl:

Dinky
03-14-2007, 19:09

In fact, you should have seen me with the holster and the four speedloader holders.

I did:wavey:

tous
03-15-2007, 06:38
Originally posted by Dinky
I did:wavey:

Was she hawt?

Dinky
03-15-2007, 09:37
Originally posted by tous
Was she hawt?

Yes, Pgrl is hawt:supergrin:

Lynn D
03-15-2007, 11:19
snip:

Thanks for the review -- it's very useful!

For this, I'm looking specifically for everyday wear; something that can truly be "concealed." For the range, I'm not as worried about looking like a weeble. :rofl:

Well, then, the best advice I have is to try some stuff that some of your shooting buds have. At least you will get an idea of what works and what doesn't. And, the good thing is that it doesn't need to be a "woman's" holster to work for a woman. I'm betting that Bogey or Dinky can give you some good starting points!

As for "weeble", you've not seen me with Glock OWB and 4 mags!!! :rofl:

Pinki
03-15-2007, 19:29
As for "weeble", you've not seen me with Glock OWB and 4 mags!!!

:highfive:

We can be the 'Rambo weeble sisters'. :rofl:

IMHerDad
03-15-2007, 19:40
IMHerDad: how is it worn? (opps I somehow thought it was your company but you just quoted the site). Well, does anyone know how they are worn?

Call Jeff @ Rocketman and I bet his wife is going to answer the phone. She shoots as well and she is very nice to talk to. Their number is (225) 262-7446 M - F 9am -5pm CST.

And no I don't work for them. I have just found them to be very informative and super nice to work with. I like supporting a small company where you can get personal service.:thumbsup:

Dinky
03-16-2007, 10:06
Pgrl, how about a S.O.B. (small of back). I carried a 1911 in one for about a year and found it only uncomfortable when sitting in a hard chair and no hip bulge.:wavey:

Cat91
03-17-2007, 08:17
I carry a duty size 9mm, usually a SiG-Sauer SP2022 or a Beretta Px-4 Storm.

When I carry it on me, I am wearing something casual, jeans and a t-shirt. I either go with an oversize t-shirt or I wear it under an Israeli "Shabak" bodyguard jacket.

I have the problem you have with my waist being smaller than my hips. I carry the SP2022 in a Fobus tactical paddle, pushed behind my right hip. I often use a belly band for the Px-4, with the gun situated the same way, IWB behind the point of my right hip. When I wear any type of pancake holster, it always jams the butt of the pistol or revolver right into my ribcage. Ow! I have always had to push it behind my hip to be comfortable.

Miao, Cat

DvsGlocker
03-17-2007, 08:54
Hello Pgrl,
If you wear a low cut top,
at least 50% of people will not see you are carrying.....

but I don't know how you would conceal it from,

the Women.... :tongueout:

:supergrin: :rofl: :supergrin:

Dave:supergrin:

Ok, I'll leave now....

G. Gunman
03-17-2007, 08:57
:freak: Are all women the same? I just went through this with my wife. No matter what holster she tried it wasn't good enough. Her most oft repeated comment? 'It makes me look fat.' So I got her a DeSantis fanny pack. Nope, that made her look fat too. Then she got really smart - She handed her carry piece to me and said; 'Here! If I need this, hand it to me!' :shocked:

For her birthday I went over to the AAA travel center and picked up one of their high security travel purses for women. Very nice setup and less than $70.00, too. Then I called Kramer Leather and got her a front pocket holster. To my amazement she loves the high security bag and even occasionally slips the Kramer holster into her front left pocket - Who would have guessed? ;)

Leathercrafter
03-18-2007, 14:33
You might try a paddle holster where the paddle pushes the holster further out from the body. BladeTech's paddle does that. I use them on my holsters. In addition, the paddle is adjustable for both belt size and cant of holster.

Pinki
03-21-2007, 18:55
Thanks for all the tips, folks. I'll try them out as I can. :hugs:

tlish
03-26-2007, 20:54
i have a very short torso, small waist, wide hips, and am overweight - major hourglass. there's not a very good way to conceal a very large gun on my frame without dressing frumpy, and i don't want to do that. i love my g19; it's my favorite gun, but there's no practical way for me to conceal it. i use the drop offset for range stuff, but you need a vest to conceal - not good for "normal" life.

so, the compromise is that i had to buy a smaller carry gun. i carry a colt mustang .380 iwb, in an ankle holster (boot cut jeans), and when absolutely necessary, in an over-the-shoulder purse with a dedicated carry compartment (meaning nothing else can go in that section of the purse).

the trick i use w/ iwb is to buy low-rise jeans and a cheap uncle mike's iwb holster. then i use a seam ripper to remove the clip, move it up on the holster, and re-sew it. that will position the gun deeper in my pants, which means less of it will be sticking out. the downside is it is harder to get firm fighting grip on the gun. you grip with two fingers, then readjust. but, you do have a gun w/ you, so that's a plus.

unmodified holster:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/teeemdee/unmodifiedholsterclipposition.jpg

modified holsters:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/teeemdee/modifiedholsters.jpg

concealed:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/teeemdee/mustangconcealed.jpg

unconcealed (gun at 3 o'clock):
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/teeemdee/mustangonhipunconcealed.jpg

hopefully this will give you some ideas.

Lynn D
03-27-2007, 13:16
TLish!

Awesome idea. I just picked up two of those. They don't fit very well over my waistband with my belts, though. I did find that they work great without a belt, though.

I may have to see what happens when I move the clip. I don't have much trouble with concealing IWB, thank goodness (I've no waist, hips, and am "plus size" too). And I carry a P9, so it's a bit easier to hide than the G19.

:)

Pinki
03-28-2007, 17:17
Thanks for the ideas, Tlish!

SARDG
03-28-2007, 19:54
First tlish; thanks for the tips and pics...
Originally posted by tlish
...i carry a colt mustang .380 iwb, in an ankle holster (boot cut jeans), and when absolutely necessary, in an over-the-shoulder purse with a dedicated carry compartment (meaning nothing else can go in that section of the purse).
As some posters may have read from me already, I just won't carry in my purse since I've had my purse snatched. I'm a big enough gal, and fought him for it, but in the end - it was gone. In all honesty though, it was a clutch. I carry a clutch perhaps twice a year, but that night... Still, (as the cop reminded me) it's not a good idea to fight your attacker. So when they are pulling on your purse - clutch or shoulder bag - you should give it up. Indeed - YMMV. At least, all that happened long before I began to carry, so the BG didn't get a gun.
Originally posted by tlish
the trick i use w/ iwb is to buy low-rise jeans and a cheap uncle mike's iwb holster. then i use a seam ripper to remove the clip, move it up on the holster, and re-sew it. that will position the gun deeper in my pants, which means less of it will be sticking out. the downside is it is harder to get firm fighting grip on the gun. you grip with two fingers, then readjust. but, you do have a gun w/ you, so that's a plus.

hopefully this will give you some ideas.
In the end, it seems to ride like my Galco UDC (Ultra Deep Cover) with my Kahr PM9, so our great minds are thinking alike... :) The Galco IS thicker though, because it's leather. Still, I haven't come across a better idea yet. Other threads give me some hope in the C-TAC, however. I'd like to find something to carry my new G30 in, and that's a little tougher to conceal than that PM9. I think I want to try a holster with a cant, though.

I practice drawing at my range, and indeed, it's harder to get those deeply concealed guns out of hiding. I too, grab my pistol with two fingers - the thumb and the second finger. With that, my trigger finger is ready for the trigger if necessary. The two-finger technique doesn't seem to slow me down at all.

Lynn D
03-28-2007, 20:31
I will tell you what I've learned about those Uncle Mike's Sidekicks....

They don't fit very well over any of my belts (regular, off-the-shelf men's belts, 'cause of my "waist"land)....

However, I have several pairs of cargo pants from Gander that have a drawstring in the waist. The holster fits on those just fine without the belt, and is totally stable. Wore one around town like that the other day.

May be a useful option for some of ya!